Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2016, 02:32 PM

176 posts, read 242,834 times

Advertisements

SC more expensive than NC, VA, GA, TN? Seems unlikely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2016, 03:20 PM

1,851 posts, read 2,169,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroZetro View Post
I wonder if they considered prevailing wages in these states in addition to the COL? It would make sense that people in NC, VA, GA, and TN were paid more, thus lowering the percentage of their income allocated for "living". Poverty is a bigger issue in SC than any of those places.

Old 05-18-2016, 04:19 PM

30,362 posts, read 19,143,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by :-D View Post
To be fair though Virginia ranks pretty good even considering that...

Oregon makes zero sense to me here.
It goes to what I say that average income only means something after calculating cost of living. The large majority of high income states are blue states but 11 of the 12 lowest COL states are red.

So yeah, Virginia after factoring COL and income has got to be be really high. I lived in Oregon and I think it's probably the hardest state to live well in, except Hawaii, considering the COL and lower wages.

Old 05-18-2016, 05:36 PM

93,255 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Outside of the Philadelphia area, PA is a pretty affordable state.
Same with NY outside of the NYC metro.

Old 05-18-2016, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroZetro View Post
Charleston maybe? Even with that, Raleigh and Charlotte aren't much different, if at all in terms of COL.

Old 05-18-2016, 06:59 PM

8,858 posts, read 6,856,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
But the very purpose of this index is to provide an apples-to-apples comparison.

Yes, the majority of New Yorkers may not have cars and live in small apartments, but isn't that precisely because it's prohibitively expensive to live otherwise?

That's why adjusting for "normal" living practices in a city doesn't paint an accurate picture of just how expensive an area is. For precision, it's important to compare a lifestyle/item that is exactly the same across every single city in the US.

We all know there are millions of ways in which someone could deviate from that baseline lifestyle in every city, so that's a moot point, but for the purpose of a hypothetical, it's very informative.
That's the concept, yes. And it's a useful data point.

But it's not quality of life. That's purely subjective. And having nearby businesses vs. a bigger house is considered an advantage by many. Local variables do matter.

To me, living in a 4,000 sf plywood palace with nothing nearby would be poor quality of life.

Old 05-18-2016, 07:14 PM

This could also help in terms of other economic aspects and I believe that more recent info is on the way: BEA Regional Economic Accounts

Old 05-18-2016, 07:31 PM

5,847 posts, read 6,182,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Charleston maybe? Even with that, Raleigh and Charlotte aren't much different, if at all in terms of COL.
We looked at a position for my husband in Charleston just a few years ago while we happened to be living in Denver, and eliminated it because the COL would actually be much higher for us, while the income offered was a lateral move. We said No Thanks. The price point of homes we were looking at was the same as what we owned in Denver, but the SC income tax rate was double that of CO. The whole of coastal SC is pretty pricey due to many very wealthy people who own second homes. That was the impression I got, anyway.

Old 05-19-2016, 12:29 AM

7,070 posts, read 16,740,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterman71 View Post
When I moved from Falls Church, VA to Kentucky some years back, I couldn’t believe how inexpensive it was to live in KY. The map shows KY at 90 and VA at 94.5 but I believe the difference is much greater depending on the locations you are comparing. So these state averages may not tell the whole story. There are some unbelievable bargains in KY if you shop around. Here is one - there is a nice paved lighted public parking lot on the perimeter of downtown Louisville where you can park all day for a dollar. We call it the dollar lot!
In downtown Louisville? It can be 20 bucks or more per day especially on Yum center even events. The cheapest lots I have seen are 5 dollar daily earliy bird specials.

What is the address of this dollar lot???? No way that is there today in 2016

Old 05-19-2016, 01:37 AM

6,311 posts, read 6,810,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigizug View Post
State income taxes.
Property taxes
Cost of housing, especially Portland.
But are housing costs high outside of Portland?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City