Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Milder: Seattle, WA or Albuquerque, NM
Seattle, WA 39 61.90%
Albuquerque, NM 24 38.10%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2016, 11:52 PM

56 posts, read 60,549 times

Advertisements

You look at the weather forecast in Seattle and it'll be 43, 44, 44, 45, 43, 42 or something of that variation in the dead of winter, which is quite amazingly different that what you will see in Albuquerque or Denver.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2016, 11:55 PM

1,741 posts, read 2,626,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dapper23 View Post
Almost 100 tomorrow in Albuquerque? How is that mild?
The forecast for Albuquerque tomorrow is for highs ranging from 91 in the Foothills to 95 in Downtown Albuquerque. The Sunport is forecast for 93 degrees, which would be the official Albuquerque temperature. More than half of Albuquerque's city population lives in the Heights, which is also forecast for 93 degrees tomorrow:

Albuquerque Weather

In the metro, Belen, Los Lunas and the rest of Valencia County are usually the hottest areas. Belen is forecast for 96 degrees tomorrow.

It's now about 72 degrees in Albuquerque at midnight.

Old 06-07-2016, 01:26 AM

429 posts, read 479,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQalex View Post
The forecast for Albuquerque tomorrow is for highs ranging from 91 in the Foothills to 95 in Downtown Albuquerque. The Sunport is forecast for 93 degrees, which would be the official Albuquerque temperature. More than half of Albuquerque's city population lives in the Heights, which is also forecast for 93 degrees tomorrow:

Albuquerque Weather

In the metro, Belen, Los Lunas and the rest of Valencia County are usually the hottest areas. Belen is forecast for 96 degrees tomorrow.

It's now about 72 degrees in Albuquerque at midnight.
It hit about 83 today in Seattle and is now 68 at 30 minutes past midnight. The last few years a decent chunk of the summer has been this way.

Old 06-07-2016, 02:19 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,927,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick4242 View Post
You look at the weather forecast in Seattle and it'll be 43, 44, 44, 45, 43, 42 or something of that variation in the dead of winter,
which is quite amazingly different that what you will see in Albuquerque
or Denver.
Not really.

Highs in Albuquerque (December, January, February, March): 46, 47, 53, 61

Highs in Seattle (December, January, February, March): 47, 49, 51, 55

Seattle seems to be overrated as a "mild winter city" on these forums..

Old 06-07-2016, 06:02 AM

1,424 posts, read 1,936,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
Not really.

Highs in Albuquerque (December, January, February, March): 46, 47, 53, 61

Highs in Seattle (December, January, February, March): 47, 49, 51, 55

Seattle seems to be overrated as a "mild winter city" on these forums..
The averages rarely tell the whole story. The moderating effects of the Pacific make things more consistent in Seattle than much of the country, which is prone to large, sweeping cold fronts. Seattle's temps during the winter months generally have a remarkably low daily fluctuation and rarely fall below 25, unlike Albuquerque or Denver, which both have substantial diurnal swings due to elevation. In the Summer, Seattle's weather is generally substantially cooler during the daytime.

This comparison is actually a good one. It really depends on what your definition of "mild" is. For being this north, Seattle it's remarkably shielded from really cold air, which is probably what gets it the notoriety on C-D. There's a reason that people are associated with flannels and jeans, as it frequently feels like fall or spring here. But if you take "mild" to mean semi-tropical, then yes it's overrated. Albuquerque, on the other hand, encounters more extremes but has the mitigating effects of moderate elevation, which keeps it cooler than low desert floors in the summer but isn't as nearly as cold in the winter as a place like Santa Fe, which is several thousand feet higher.

Last edited by bartonizer; 06-07-2016 at 06:13 AM..

Old 06-07-2016, 07:18 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,927,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartonizer View Post
The averages rarely tell the whole story. The moderating effects of the Pacific make things more consistent in Seattle than much of the country, which is prone to large, sweeping cold fronts. Seattle's temps during the winter months generally have a remarkably low daily fluctuation and rarely fall below 25, unlike Albuquerque or Denver, which both have substantial diurnal swings due to elevation. In the Summer, Seattle's weather is generally substantially cooler during the daytime.

This comparison is actually a good one. It really depends on what your definition of "mild" is. For being this north, Seattle it's remarkably shielded from really cold air, which is probably what gets it the notoriety on C-D. There's a reason that people are associated with flannels and jeans, as it frequently feels like fall or spring here. But if you take "mild" to mean semi-tropical, then yes it's overrated. Albuquerque, on the other hand, encounters more extremes but has the mitigating effects of moderate elevation, which keeps it cooler than low desert floors in the summer but isn't as nearly as cold in the winter as a place like Santa Fe, which is several thousand feet higher.
Makes sense.

Old 06-07-2016, 12:06 PM

5,024 posts, read 5,663,312 times
This honestly depends on what would be "too much of one thing for you".

ABQ on avg. has higher highs, and lower lows, but as a whole I would consider it a mild/desirable climate, as it doesn't have a lot of humidity, and it regularly goes down to a comfortable temp at night, even during the summer, and a relatively comfortable temp during the day, even in January.

Temperature wise, if your in Seattle, it's nice if you like a mild range, but as pointed out, the long term lack of sunlight in winter can be difficult to handle. OTOH, I think one could argue ABQ may even get too much sunlight esp. During the summer, and with not as much shade around, could pose a skin cancer risk.

Old 06-07-2016, 03:45 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,807,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavsfan137 View Post
This honestly depends on what would be "too much of one thing for you".

ABQ on avg. has higher highs, and lower lows, but as a whole I would consider it a mild/desirable climate, as it doesn't have a lot of humidity, and it regularly goes down to a comfortable temp at night, even during the summer, and a relatively comfortable temp during the day, even in January.

Temperature wise, if your in Seattle, it's nice if you like a mild range, but as pointed out, the long term lack of sunlight in winter can be difficult to handle. OTOH, I think one could argue ABQ may even get too much sunlight esp. During the summer, and with not as much shade around, could pose a skin cancer risk.
Yes but health risks have no affect on the climate. Seattle is at risk for SAD and Vitamin D deficiency but that's not being argued as a part of being mild not against it.

I do agree that Seattle is mild for its latitude, but is it milder than ABQ? The OP pretty much stated that California was considered mild which is fair, I think ABQ matches with California more than Seattle but to be fair ABQ won't be very similar to Eureka, we really have to narrow it down to what part of California.

By the way, Bluefox, storms are the definition of an extreme weather condition therefore the opposite of mild. Storms are important to note and many other people including me and the Op have stated a temperature-only argument would not be accurate. If that was the case, 40 degrees and rainy would be just as mild as 40 degrees and sunny, yes? I don't view it that way.

Both are great climates in almost very different ways and thus it really does come down to preference, as others have mentioned.

Old 06-07-2016, 06:02 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,204,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by :-D View Post

By the way, Bluefox, storms are the definition of an extreme weather condition therefore the opposite of mild. Storms are important to note and many other people including me and the Op have stated a temperature-only argument would not be accurate. If that was the case, 40 degrees and rainy would be just as mild as 40 degrees and sunny, yes? I don't view it that way.

Both are great climates in almost very different ways and thus it really does come down to preference, as others have mentioned.
I've never heard the term "mild" used in a weather/climate context outside of temperatures, so I suppose I do take issue with the broader definition being offered. But even assuming that taking into account other aspects of climate and weather besides temperature offers a more accurate picture of "mildness", I don't think it necessarily does Albuquerque any favors.

Both you and the OP mentioned California as the poster child for a mild climate. But California gets megadroughts, earthquakes, and massive wildfires. All of those things make it a less mild place than if you look at temperatures alone.

Albuquerque gets little rain and New Mexico similarly is prone to periods of exceptional drought. It also can get bitterly cold in the winter, and wildfires occur within the vicinity of Albuquerque. There's nothing mild about any of those things.

Seattle has an earthquake risk and a particularly ominous tsunami risk (though earthquakes/tsunamis I don't think are particularly weather related though I've seen arguments both ways), gets a lot of rain but rarely storms. I would think a lot of rain makes a climate more mild, it allows flora and fauna to thrive and is necessary for human existence. Deserts seem more extreme to me, unfit for massive human habitation but for artificial intervention.

At the end of the day, if you asked most people if they had to be dropped from an airplane with no food or water in the Pacific Northwest rainforests or in the New Mexico desert/mountains, I'd guarantee most people would pick the PNW. Hypothermia or dehydration will kill someone a whole hell of a lot faster than seasonal affective disorder (SAD).

Old 06-08-2016, 11:39 AM

102 posts, read 129,389 times
Seattle, for sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City