Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: NYC vs Chicago
New York City 102 55.14%
Chicago 83 44.86%
Voters: 185. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2016, 08:29 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,957,035 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintainschaos View Post
This poll has been mostly done to death. It's NYC in most categories, but put against any city in the U.S., it's NYC in most categories. Of course, Chicago is a great city and offers a fair amount of what NYC offers with higher affordability, but c'mon: it's NYC.
New York is the greatest city in the country, and possibly the world. I suspect the pole would go differently if the question was posed as: if you, and your family had to relocate to one of the cities with your current career, which are you choosing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2016, 08:41 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,640,148 times
New York City will win this poll, as it has won all similar polls in the past. I personally prefer Chicago, but objectively speaking, NYC wins in all categories.

Old 06-09-2016, 10:42 AM

2,249 posts, read 2,821,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
New York is the greatest city in the country, and possibly the world. I suspect the pole would go differently if the question was posed as: if you, and your family had to relocate to one of the cities with your current career, which are you choosing?
I agree. I think Chicago is the better city to live in, especially if you have or looking to start a family. I think NYC is 10x better for a career in entertainment, media, the arts, etc. But for careers in finance, advertising, healthcare, etc. Chicago offers enough as well.

Just like London or Tokyo, in regards to what a city offers, NYC is in a league of its own and it's an unfair comparison. It would be more fair to compare Chicago as a city and what if offers to San Francisco, Toronto, Barcelona, Milan or Sydney. I mean the metro of NYC has more people than the entire state where Chicago is in!

Unless we are doing specific comparisons like "NYC vs. Chicago for career in media" or "NYC vs Chicago for schools", general comparisons for Chicago and NYC are gutter discussions. Of course NYC offers more restaurants, things to do, etc., It's like 3.5x the size of Chicago!

Old 06-09-2016, 11:47 AM

3,530 posts, read 4,172,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanCheetah View Post
I agree. I think Chicago is the better city to live in, especially if you have or looking to start a family. I think NYC is 10x better for a career in entertainment, media, the arts, etc. But for careers in finance, advertising, healthcare, etc. Chicago offers enough as well.

Just like London or Tokyo, in regards to what a city offers, NYC is in a league of its own and it's an unfair comparison. It would be more fair to compare Chicago as a city and what if offers to San Francisco, Toronto, Barcelona, Milan or Sydney. I mean the metro of NYC has more people than the entire state where Chicago is in!

Unless we are doing specific comparisons like "NYC vs. Chicago for career in media" or "NYC vs Chicago for schools", general comparisons for Chicago and NYC are gutter discussions. Of course NYC offers more restaurants, things to do, etc., It's like 3.5x the size of Chicago!
The Tri-State Area has more people than any state not named California and Texas. But yea, I agree with everything you've said.

Old 06-09-2016, 12:33 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,041,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Don't care.

YOU Don't!?

Old 06-09-2016, 12:58 PM

1,039 posts, read 1,100,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XC_Runner View Post
  • Restaurants
  • Safety
  • Things To Do
  • Cost of Living
  • Young People
  • Computer Science
  • Sports Stadiums
  • Eye Candy
I gotta ask...sports stadiums? Why?

Old 06-09-2016, 01:08 PM

2,249 posts, read 2,821,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogoesthere View Post
I gotta ask...sports stadiums? Why?
Based on the criteria of the poster I feel this is just a set up to have NYC beat Chicago.
  • Restaurants - You would have to be dumb not to know which one wins
  • Safety - No need to discuss one can easily Google it and find that one is much safer than the other
  • Things To Do - Again one has to be quite dumb if they have to ask this one
  • Cost of Living - Again
  • Young People - Should be obvious
  • Computer Science - Not even sure what the heck they mean
  • Sports Stadiums - In regards to what?
  • Eye Candy - Again pretty obvious answer

More interesting criteria would have been Universities, Architecture, waterfront activities, neighborhood festivals, weather, etc. Topics that one can actually have a discussion about between NYC and Chicago. But more things to do? This is like asking what city has more things to do, Chicago or Milwaukee. Come on give me a break.

Old 06-09-2016, 03:43 PM

1,851 posts, read 2,169,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanCheetah View Post

This. I get why there's a natural desire to compare these two, but they really aren't comparable. They have a shared history and some similarities, but NYC is just a different animal. With that said, Chicago offers much of what NYC does at a fraction of the cost. If you can afford NYC and you like big city life, I'm sure you'll be happy there. The same is true of Chicago.

Old 06-09-2016, 03:52 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,624,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
More like 20% of the city at 40% of the cost.

NYC absolutely destroys Chicago, at least in terms of urban appeal. In other aspects, no. If you want to have a cheap suburb to raise your family, Chicagoland is a better option. Chicago is also a more central location in terms of rest of the U.S., so probably better for people who have jobs taking them all over the U.S.

But for city lovers, there is no substitute for NYC. Brooklyn alone destroys Chicago in terms of urbanity.

The overwhelming majority of people would have the same career in any U.S. city.

But NYC, unlike Chicago has a significant amount of place-specific jobs. You will not have the same career opportunities in finance, advertising, entertainment, consulting, fashion, media, arts, anywhere else in the U.S. (excepting LA for entertainment).

Good grief

Old 06-09-2016, 03:55 PM

2,970 posts, read 2,615,298 times
My rent stabilization seems to take care of the COL issues!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City