Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2016, 04:38 PM

7,737 posts, read 5,518,049 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Port Pitt Ash View Post
Might be underrated, but I've yet to meet a person outside of CD who is willing to live there or likes living there. I'm assuming there's a good reason for that.
Lol!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2016, 07:01 PM

11,998 posts, read 12,938,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post

OAN, it doesn't seem like people you know are too fond of the Bos-Wash cities from what I've read.
I've noticed that too..

Quote:
Might be underrated, but I've yet to meet a person outside of CD who is willing to live there or likes living there. I'm assuming there's a good reason for that.
Your circle is small? LOL

Old 06-21-2016, 09:31 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,139,089 times
He's in Asheville. What do you expect? People living there think the city is the greatest thing since the invention of the wheel.

Old 06-22-2016, 12:56 PM

1,537 posts, read 1,913,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
OAN, it doesn't seem like people you know are too fond of the Bos-Wash cities from what I've read.
A lot of them aren't. But then again a lot of them have spent time in that area and consider the places they live and/or have lived to be better. Some are living in better places and some aren't. Have a lot of friends who tried going to the DC area and didn't like it. A good number still live in NYC and like it.

I'm assuming you're talking about the big 5 of NYC, DC, Baltimore, Boston, and Philly, correct?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsThatTime View Post
What a load. You were quick to reply and your subtle digs suggest you have an unfavorable view of it and never miss a chance to belittle it.
It's not a dig it's an assumption. I have no personal view on it one way or the other.

As a matter of fact it was basically a coin flip on going to Portland or Philly the 1st time I went out to Portland. But if everyone, literally everyone, you know has an opinion of they'd never live there (having visited) or wanted out what would you think?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsThatTime View Post
You might wanna check it's fastest growing millennial population among large cities.
How much of that is outflow from people priced out of NYC?

You perspective sounds like it is one of a person headed to the big city not one of a person headed to a specific big city (i.e. the experience mattered more than the place).

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
Your circle is small? LOL
It usually hovers at around 100 to 120 for the majority of the places I've lived. Inner circle is usually around 12-30ish. Perhaps not the most social in the world, but I wouldn't call it small.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
He's in Asheville. What do you expect? People living there think the city is the greatest thing since the invention of the wheel.
Well, seeing as I'm not one of those people, not from here, and have lived many places what is your point?

Old 06-22-2016, 02:17 PM

Don't be hatin' because Pittsburgh finished in last. Pittsburgh is a good little city, but to sing such high praises for it and write off philly is silly. I am telling you, as a millennial, I pay $1400/m for a one bedroom in a in a spot that would cost you an arm and a leg in other cities (not this block but around here). Everyone is pretty much my age mixed in with old empty nesters. It's a pretty lively neighborhood but quiet. 99 walkscore, 100 transit scoree, 98 bikescore. No violent crime in a one sq mile radius in at least the last month. the city has vast amounts of things to do and see. Philadelphia's ethnic neighborhood's have kept intact more so than a lot of other cities. This is a great series of articles on the Daily Meal: https://www.menuism.com/blog/author/davidchan/

The author is going around the country and surveying cities to see where the best Chinese food is in the respective cities. He has found that most of the classic Chinatown's had disbursed throughout the metros (though he did say Pittsburgh's had a single business still). However, Philly's Chinatown is thriving and the food scene is exploding.

Why Philadelphia’s Chinatown Is Thriving

I mean who would have ever imagined you could find a guide of where to eat in Fishtown, Philadelphia in Vogue.

I know I am bias, but if you can land a solid job or have the opportunity to take a job here, it is worth more than a glance.

Last edited by thedirtypirate; 06-22-2016 at 03:09 PM..

Old 06-22-2016, 02:56 PM

1,537 posts, read 1,913,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
Pittsburgh is a good little city, but to sing such high praises for it and write off philly is silly.
Who's singing the praises of Pittsburgh and writing off Philly here?

Old 06-22-2016, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Who's singing the praises of Pittsburgh and writing off Philly here?
may I give you a quote by you

Quote:
I've yet to meet a person outside of CD who is willing to live there or likes living there. I'm assuming there's a good reason for that.
no offense, but that is a slight. I think by the responses most other people took it as one too. It's alright, though, I will continue to like what I like, and you and your friends can like what you like. There are plenty of millennial's to go around.

Old 06-22-2016, 07:08 PM

7,270 posts, read 10,601,386 times
Quote:
may I give you a quote by you

no offense, but that is a slight. I think by the responses most other people took it as one too. It's alright, though, I will continue to like what I like, and you and your friends can like what you like. There are plenty of millennial's to go around.
Yes--despite constant media portrayal to the contrary, Millenials are far from a monolithic generation. Just like literally every generation before us, of course we're all going to have different preferences as far as our desired homes.

In addition, for reasons of selection bias alone, no one can rely on opinions gathered in their social circle to extrapolate some broad-reaching conclusion about any city.

Old 06-22-2016, 07:20 PM

313 posts, read 337,091 times
Quote:
Don't be hatin' because Pittsburgh finished in last. Pittsburgh is a good little city, but to sing such high praises for it and write off philly is silly. I am telling you, as a millennial, I pay $1400/m for a one bedroom in a in a spot that would cost you an arm and a leg in other cities (not this block but around here). Everyone is pretty much my age mixed in with old empty nesters. It's a pretty lively neighborhood but quiet. 99 walkscore, 100 transit scoree, 98 bikescore. No violent crime in a one sq mile radius in at least the last month. the city has vast amounts of things to do and see. Philadelphia's ethnic neighborhood's have kept intact more so than a lot of other cities. This is a great series of articles on the Daily Meal: https://www.menuism.com/blog/author/davidchan/

The author is going around the country and surveying cities to see where the best Chinese food is in the respective cities. He has found that most of the classic Chinatown's had disbursed throughout the metros (though he did say Pittsburgh's had a single business still). However, Philly's Chinatown is thriving and the food scene is exploding.

Why Philadelphia’s Chinatown Is Thriving

I mean who would have ever imagined you could find a guide of where to eat in Fishtown, Philadelphia in Vogue.

I know I am bias, but if you can land a solid job or have the opportunity to take a job here, it is worth more than a glance.
Thank you for your contribution , very positive
info on philly . Always loved Chinatown in Philly .

Old 06-22-2016, 08:00 PM

12,841 posts, read 9,567,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
I don't get that. What makes Austin so fun?

Have been there a bunch of times, and it seems pretty quiet, sprawly, and generic. Nothing really "bad" but don't understand the appeal. I would never even consider moving there unless there were family reasons to be there.
Great food. Gorgeous women. Somewhat affordable. Safe. Young. Liberal. Lots of nature. Growing downtown. Tons of bars in a three mile radius. ALOT of natural watering holes within three miles of downtown. It's anything but generic.

You have no idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City