Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: More like Pittsburgh?
Cincinnati is more like Pittsburgh 31 75.61%
Cleveland is more like Pittsburgh 10 24.39%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2016, 11:59 AM

4,792 posts, read 6,050,791 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Wiki gives much higher snow totals for Cinci - 22 inches, and nearly 21 snowy days.

Of course, that's what was recorded at the airport. Maybe there are some microclimate issues in the area?
Another site lists it as 21. Can't list it as mods will remove it. But more sources than one list Cincy above 20.

Cincy is not humid subtropical. It is humid continental transitioning to subtropical. Pittsburgh is likewise NEAR the transition.

Cleveland is of course snowier than either and I think if you combine the snowfall totals of both cities you may still not be at Cleveland levels.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2016, 12:27 PM

4,240 posts, read 4,915,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
Another site lists it as 21. Can't list it as mods will remove it. But more sources than one list Cincy above 20.

Cincy is not humid subtropical. It is humid continental transitioning to subtropical. Pittsburgh is likewise NEAR the transition.

Cleveland is of course snowier than either and I think if you combine the snowfall totals of both cities you may still not be at Cleveland levels.
No, just admit you were proven wrong. Pittsburgh gets double (or 4X depending on which number is correct) the snow and is significantly cooler at ALL times throughout the year. Look at a Koppen map (like the one I used as a source). Pittsburgh is over 150 miles from the border of the zone and Cincinnati is IN in the humid subtropical (although at the northern end of it). It's a proven statistic and I provided correct information for every claim I've made.

Cleveland gets more snow than both (~63") but it's climate is like Pittsburghs just snowier due to it being on the lake.

Old 06-13-2016, 01:37 PM

3,291 posts, read 2,769,483 times
Of these two, Cincinnati looks more like Pittsburgh overall, although I don't find their downtowns to be very similar. People-wise, I'd say Cleveland is more similar to Pittsburgh. As for jobs & economies, I guess Cleveland is probably more similar. Weather-wise, Cleveland is more similar.

Old 06-13-2016, 01:45 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,149,700 times
I'll break it down IMO by category.

Culture- Cincinncate
Architecture- Cincinnati
History- Cleveland, though Pittsburgh has more colonial history than either.
Ethnic groups- Cleveland.
Language- Neither, though maybe Cincy since it's in the Midlands area as well
Climate- Cleveland, Pittsburgh's average temperatures and snowfall are closer to Cleveland than Cincy IMO.

Old 06-13-2016, 01:49 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,149,700 times
The average high by city annually per Wikipedia:
Pittsburgh: 60.6
Cleveland: 59.6
Cincinnati: 63.9

The average low by city annually per Wikipedia:
Pittsburgh: 41.9
Cleveland: 43.3
Cincinnati: 44.9

Snowfall by city:
Pittsburgh: 41.4
Cleveland: 68.1
Cincinnati: 22.1

Old 06-13-2016, 02:47 PM

14,352 posts, read 17,015,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post

Culture- Cincinncate
Architecture- Cincinnati
Climate- Cleveland, Pittsburgh's average temperatures and snowfall are closer to Cleveland than Cincy IMO.
I'm not sure I get the history thing. Cincinnati is a city that boomed even earlier than Pittsburgh - starting in the 1840s. Cleveland didn't really set off on massive growth until the early 20th century. Pittsburgh was between the two, but taking into account the long period of time that Allegheny City wasn't amalgamated into Pittsburgh, it was far more of a 19th century city than Cleveland.

Old 06-13-2016, 04:03 PM

4,792 posts, read 6,050,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by speagles84 View Post
No, just admit you were proven wrong. Pittsburgh gets double (or 4X depending on which number is correct) the snow and is significantly cooler at ALL times throughout the year. Look at a Koppen map (like the one I used as a source). Pittsburgh is over 150 miles from the border of the zone and Cincinnati is IN in the humid subtropical (although at the northern end of it). It's a proven statistic and I provided correct information for every claim I've made.

Cleveland gets more snow than both (~63") but it's climate is like Pittsburghs just snowier due to it being on the lake.
Where are you getting this idea that Cincy is humid subtropical? Do you want to see a climate zone map? The Ohio divides the zones.

Old 06-14-2016, 04:47 AM

4,240 posts, read 4,915,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
Where are you getting this idea that Cincy is humid subtropical? Do you want to see a climate zone map? The Ohio divides the zones.
No it doesn't. Look at a map. Humid subtropical reaches into southern Ohio. I'm done arguing with you. Look at this map

https://www.google.com/search?q=clim...s110VFk2-LM%3A

Old 06-14-2016, 07:32 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,434,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
I'm not sure I get the history thing. Cincinnati is a city that boomed even earlier than Pittsburgh - starting in the 1840s. Cleveland didn't really set off on massive growth until the early 20th century. Pittsburgh was between the two, but taking into account the long period of time that Allegheny City wasn't amalgamated into Pittsburgh, it was far more of a 19th century city than Cleveland.
Exactly. Most people don't know what they're talking about on this forum, like at all. They just make things up to conform to what they already want to think is true. Very stupid.

Old 06-14-2016, 09:25 AM

3,291 posts, read 2,769,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Exactly. Most people don't know what they're talking about on this forum, like at all. They just make things up to conform to what they already want to think is true. Very stupid.
What?? The reference was to colonial history. That's pre-1776. Neither Cincinnati or Cleveland has any. Pittsburgh does. Here I will bold the reference for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post

Culture- Cincinncate
Architecture- Cincinnati
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City