Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is most beautiful?
Maine 15 50.00%
New Brunswick/Prince Edward Island 3 10.00%
Nova Scotia 12 40.00%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2020, 03:05 AM

2,868 posts, read 2,813,609 times

Advertisements

If you had 10 days to spend in one, which would you pick?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2020, 05:34 AM

1,948 posts, read 1,513,658 times
I would go to Camden, Maine and stay in one of their beautiful bed and breakfasts. And I would make day trips to the other maritime cities around there.

We flew into Manchester, NH, rented a car and went north as far as the roads went (1000 miles.) We found Nova Scotia had been logged in the past, and it just wasn't as beautiful as we anticipated. We loved the people, but we were looking for lobster shacks and good restaurants. We found the cheapest beer was $12.99 a six pack, and 15% sales taxes were out of sight. Restaurants for the most part cost more than we are willing to pay.

Upon our return to Maine, we found those lobster shacks and beautiful villages with tall masted sailing ships. And a beautiful Summer day in Camden, Maine's bay is truly a glorious day.

Old 05-25-2020, 07:13 AM

10,743 posts, read 23,798,187 times
Coastal Maine can get pretty crowded in the summer at times, especially southern Maine beaches and Bar Harbor/Acadia NP. The benefit of going to the Maritimes is it's a lot less crowded and cheaper (accommodations are much cheaper) but still a similar atmosphere as Maine. Nova Scotia can be a lot like Maine, but if you get out as far out as Cape Breton Island then you start to see more outstanding coastline that sets it a part in places like the Cabot Trail and Ingonish Beach.

If I made another trip that way, I'd probably go with Prince Edward Island as it just seems to offer something different than what's found in Maine or Nova Scotia. It has scenic pastoral landscapes and lots of sandy beaches, some of them red sand. New Brunswick is nice in spots along the Bay of Fundy, but more of a drive through province on the way to Nova Scotia or PEI. For ten days, I'd reshuffle it to a combo of NS (if including Cape Breton) and PEI. The draw back of the Maritimes, it's a very LONG ride to get up there.

If you're really looking to venture out to some dramatically rugged and wild coasts, meet some characters, and experience a culture that sets itself apart from the rest of Canada, Newfoundland is worth the trip and will offer more wow factor than the Maritimes will.

I do love Maine, and even love Bar Harbor and Acadia NP. There are just some days where the summer crowds and traffic can make it less appealing.

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 05-25-2020 at 07:22 AM..

Old 05-25-2020, 08:15 AM

14,011 posts, read 14,995,436 times
Coastal Maine and Coastal Nova Scotia are similar but Interior Maine blows Interior Nova Scotia out of the water.

Also compared to all of them Maine (especially the upper Coast) has a longer beach season.

Old 05-25-2020, 10:27 AM

10,743 posts, read 23,798,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Coastal Maine and Coastal Nova Scotia are similar but Interior Maine blows Interior Nova Scotia out of the water.

Also compared to all of them Maine (especially the upper Coast) has a longer beach season.
I'll agree, if you want lakes, wilderness, mountains, and ocean all in one place, Maine delivers exceptionally well. Mt. Katahdin and Mooshead Lake are pretty awesome. I'm curious about Monhegan Island. Seems like a good place to get the leave it all behind effect. I just wish it was easier to get to from VT (no east west highways).

Old 05-25-2020, 10:32 AM

7,074 posts, read 8,934,859 times
I always go to Downeast Maine for my vacations, it’s somewhat remote, primitive and trapped in time but it’s beyond where most tourists are willing to drive. Once you get past Schoodic Point you stop seeing out of state license plates and you end up in a part of the state that you don’t see in the tourism brochures.

And I can see Canada from where I stay.

Old 05-25-2020, 12:31 PM

5,024 posts, read 5,661,738 times
First off... I know it isn't part of the poll... but since were up in that area... Newfoundland>>>Everything. Never been, but of any place I haven't been in US/Canada, it is at the top of my list.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5p0zQ695agg

I guess it sorta depends for me, though. I'm always gonna say, I like and am curious about places I haven't yet seen. And, I haven't yet seen Fredericton, nor have I ever been to PEI or Charlottetown. So, given that, I have a great deal of curiosity about the place. But, having not seen inland Maine, it's landscapes look just absolutely amazing too-and I know couldn't go wrong with Portland or Bar Harbor either. So, had I visited all of them, probably Maine, but I'm most curious to see PEI-it just looks super Anne of Green Gables bucolic, relaxed, unique, all those things. Frankly though, I don't know that I'd spend 10 days in just any one though, almost certainly I think if I were to go up there, I could combine at least 2 of 3 of those into a 10 day trip span. Guess I'm just selfish lol ; )

Old 05-25-2020, 01:18 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,536,880 times
Tough choice, all offer something, but I chose New Brunswick and PEI.

I haven't been to either, so my knowledge is through photos, and family and friends who have lived there.

When I think of New Brunswick I think of the expansive sandy beaches, and cottages that align them. Part of the attraction is the lack of crowds.

PEI. Well, ever since I held up the cardboard cut out of PEI in our Grade 3 assembly play about Canada, I've been wanting to go. The red/pink sand beaches, the red earth, the rolling green hills, and of course Charlottetown.

Charlottetown holds more interest to Canadians since that is where The Dominion of Canada was created in 1867.

Last edited by Natnasci; 05-25-2020 at 02:37 PM..

Old 05-25-2020, 01:21 PM

5,024 posts, read 5,661,738 times
To be fair to Nova Scotia here-I'd agree that Coastal Maine is impressive too.. but the Upper Coast of Nova Scotia just seems particularly dramatic/vast/special. Like Acadia NP, only much longer and over a much larger/more vast area:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Sk...RICCAI!5m1!1e4

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ca...RICCAI!5m1!1e4

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Fo...RICCAI!5m1!1e4 and some interesting looking history to boot.

That said, I will say Portland, even though I've been more recently, just looks like a more interesting place, even if perhaps less important, than Halifax.

Old 05-25-2020, 03:45 PM

2,868 posts, read 2,813,609 times
According to Google, here are the Top 10 sights in each of these:

MAINE: https://www.google.com/travel/things...L0BMAF6BAgKECA

Acadia National Park (#1)
Baxter State Park (#5)
Boothbay, Coastal Maine Botanical Gardens (#9)
Cadillac Mountain (#3)
Mount Katahdin (#4)
Portland, Casco Bay (#6)
Portland, Old Port (#10)
Portland Head Lighthouse (#2)
Sand Beach (#7)
Sunday River Resort (#8)

NEW BRUNSWICK (Top 5) + PEI (Top 5)
NB: https://www.google.com/travel/things...L0BMAF6BAgNEB8

Bay of Fundy and Fundy National Park (#2)
Hopewell Rocks Park (#1)
Kouchibouguac National Park (#4)
Reversing Falls (#3)
Roosevelt Campobello International Park (#5)

PEI: https://www.google.com/travel/things...L0BMAF6BAgMEB0

Cavendish Beach (#5)
Charlottetown, Government House (#4)
Confederation Bridge (#2)
Green Gables Heritage Place (#3)
Prince Edward Island National Park (#1)

NOVA SCOTIA: https://www.google.com/travel/things...L0BMAF6BAgMEB8
  • Alexander Graham Bell National Historic Site (#10)
  • Annapolis Royal (#8)
  • Cabot Trail (#5)
  • Cape Breton Highlands (#1)
  • Halifax, Halifax Citadel National Historic Site (#2)
  • Halifax, Halifax Public Gardens (#6)
  • Halifax, Maritime Museum of the Atlantic (#4)
  • Halifax, Point Pleasant Park (#9)
  • Kejimkujik National Park and National Historic Site (#3)
  • Skyline Trail (#7)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City