Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is the best to live in?
Atlanta 87 58.78%
Albuquerque 61 41.22%
Voters: 148. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2016, 12:04 AM

134 posts, read 188,855 times

Advertisements

This ought to be interesting. Two radically different cities: or are they? To those who've experienced both, which do you prefer? Which city has the best potential for long term economic growth? What will drive their economies? Which city is more livable now? And which will be more livable in 5 years? 10 years? Which city is likely to significantly improve its public transit first? How do they each stack up for renters? For homeowners? For starting a small business? Which is just overall a better place to be?

Both cities rank close on crime lists, but what has been your personal experience of crime in each? Which State is greater: Georgia or New Mexico? Why? How do people of different races and classes relate to each other in each city?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2016, 12:50 AM

2,770 posts, read 2,602,221 times
The Southwest gets a bad rap on CD, so expect Atlanta to get the overwhelming coddle here.

Objectively, Atlanta is the far superior metro area, with regards to things to do, urbanity, ways to explore the area and other top tier amenities.

With all that said, I personally pick ABQ. The Southwest (Arizona) is a place that I hold in high regard for memories of growing up in, for a brief period in my life. Growing older, the enchantment of the desert and wide open spaces has really struck a chord for me.

Old 07-13-2016, 06:55 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdaelectro View Post
The Southwest gets a bad rap on CD, so expect Atlanta to get the overwhelming coddle here.

Objectively, Atlanta is the far superior metro area, with regards to things to do, urbanity, ways to explore the area and other top tier amenities.

With all that said, I personally pick ABQ. The Southwest (Arizona) is a place that I hold in high regard for memories of growing up in, for a brief period in my life. Growing older, the enchantment of the desert and wide open spaces has really struck a chord for me.
Really? I think the Southwest gets plenty of love on here; the main complaint is the extreme heat at times but that's about it. Both regions get hammered for sprawl so that's a constant.

Old 07-13-2016, 09:49 AM

3,157 posts, read 2,206,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Really? I think the Southwest gets plenty of love on here; the main complaint is the extreme heat at times but that's about it. Both regions get hammered for sprawl so that's a constant.
I prefer Atlanta's climate myself, but unlike the other major Southwest cities, Albuquerque doesn't have much extreme heat. The two cities have relatively similar average daytime temperatures year round, while Albuquerque typically has cooler nights and much less humidity and rainfall.

These are difficult cities to compare because they are in completely different size brackets and regions. Atlanta is way ahead in terms of most metropolitan amenities, but Albuquerque may be a better place to live for some people.

Old 07-13-2016, 11:07 AM

6,160 posts, read 5,707,766 times
Albuquerque is more unique and has better scenery. But Atlanta has a better economy.

But realistically, the cities couldn't be more different. Albuquerque itself has more residents, but the Atlanta metro area is huge. ABQ doesn't really have much of a metro. The city itself is pretty much it.

Old 07-13-2016, 11:30 AM

1,741 posts, read 2,626,089 times
I posted the first of these vids in the Tucson comparison thread a while back and the rest in the El Paso comparison thread just now. They are a few short vids of Albuquerque to give people an idea of what the city is like:

Albuquerque is no match for Atlanta in terms of urbanity, transit, shopping or economy, but I believe our city has many unique qualities including local cuisine, culture, architecture and atmosphere along with a beautiful natural environment and great weather, which I believe can and does entice people to choose this place over bigger cities such as Atlanta.

Old 07-13-2016, 11:44 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,910,477 times
The two are so different in almost every way so a choice between them should be rather easy.

Old 07-13-2016, 03:49 PM

Thank you for all these great replies and awesome video so far! Full disclosure: I currently live in ATL and my husband and I are considering a move to ABQ next year and, yes, we have visited to check it out. I have my own opinions about both cities but I don't want this to become a debate about what I think: I want to hear how others regard these two disparate metropoli!

Old 07-13-2016, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackmartha View Post
Atlanta vs. Albuquerque
I think the problem is below:
Cost of Living Comparison Between Atlanta, GA and Albuquerque, NM
You would need around 3,343.73$ in Albuquerque, NM to maintain the same standard of life that you can have with 4,200.00$ in Atlanta, GA (assuming you rent in both cities). This calculation uses our Cost of Living Plus Rent Index to compare cost of living. This assumes net earnings (after income tax).
Indices Difference:
Consumer Prices in Albuquerque, NM are 11.40% lower than in Atlanta, GA
Consumer Prices Including Rent in Albuquerque, NM are 20.39% lower than in Atlanta, GA
Rent Prices in Albuquerque, NM are 38.46% lower than in Atlanta, GA
Restaurant Prices in Albuquerque, NM are 1.22% higher than in Atlanta, GA
Groceries Prices in Albuquerque, NM are 15.53% lower than in Atlanta, GA
Local Purchasing Power in Albuquerque, NM is 0.49% higher than in Atlanta, GA
Thanks........
Well most of that is very positive for Albuquerque!

Old 07-13-2016, 11:46 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,808,542 times
I voted Albuquerque but I'm somewhat biased, I find the Southwest to be an ideal place to live in the country on a cultural and cost-of-living basis. Albuquerque is a little more expensive than where I live but it has significantly better weather, so I view it positively.

Now the downside to ABQ is economy. I say if you can find a way that your household can still live a middle-class lifestyle or higher in ABQ (job offer in hand) then ABQ is hands down the way to go IMO. I know many people who'd like to live in Tucson (a similar city) but can't because the jobs aren't here. And I've seen the reverse happen, people moving to a city they dislike for a job. ABQ, like Tucson, is the former.

Other than going to the beach/swimming, ABQ has about everything as far as nature goes (and you could probably satisfy that part of your life if you got a pool) which is really the only thing that changes for a significant relocation. We spend probably 95% of our days doing the same things, and that won't change as long as you have the same amenities, it's the other 5% (day trips, weekend afternoons, etc.) when we can go exploring our local areas that is what is going to be different than Georgia significantly. Shopping at malls, grocery stores, working, going to the gym, watching TV, that's going to be the same whether you live in Alaska, Arizona, New Hampshire, Florida, etc. so you really should consider if you will get a QOL increase moving to ABQ (i.e. big hiking fans, hate the humidity, etc.) or not. And if you have a job offer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City