Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2016, 06:23 AM

55 posts, read 152,558 times

Advertisements

I currently live in North Florida but am relocating for job opportunities. I got offers in Atlanta and Jacksonville. Which area is better overall? I'm in my 30s, married with two small children which area is better for raising family? Better schools? The area I am currently in definitely too small town and no job opportunities. Im not familiar with the areas as far as living goes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2016, 06:35 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,594,858 times
I would choose Atlanta, despite Jacksonville having warmer winters and palm trees, so it would be a tough choice, but Atlanta is leagues above Jacksonville as a city and metro when it comes to pretty much everything, except you also have the beach in Jacksonville, where in Atlanta it's like a 4 hr drive to Savannah/Hilton Head

Old 07-23-2016, 06:37 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,449,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sungrl01 View Post
I currently live in North Florida but am relocating for job opportunities. I got offers in Atlanta and Jacksonville. Which area is better overall? I'm in my 30s, married with two small children which area is better for raising family? Better schools? The area I am currently in definitely too small town and no job opportunities. Im not familiar with the areas as far as living goes.
Wouldn't Jacksonville be the easier move for you at this point, since you're already in Florida? Worst case you could commute to work until you find something in Jacksonville to rent/purchase.

Atlanta is a league above Jacksonville, overall, particularly if you're looking for something cosmopolitan or you want the diversity of that city. Atlanta Metro is also more urban, greater population density over Jacksonville. But Jacksonville may be less of a transition if you're already in a small town. It really depends on what you want in a city.

Old 07-23-2016, 06:40 AM

Can't commute to Jacksonville it's over four hour drive one way.

Old 07-23-2016, 10:16 AM

But I chose both those places because they are both relatively close to where we are so move won't be too hard.

Old 07-23-2016, 02:41 PM

1,962 posts, read 1,816,675 times
For me Jacksonville is a no brainier. Jville is much cheaper and more family friendly in my opinion. Plus Jville has way less people and traffic, a plus in my opinion. If I were to ever move back south Jville would be near the top of my list. Plus you have the ocean, seals the deal. Good luck!

Old 07-23-2016, 05:12 PM

4,010 posts, read 3,751,190 times
Depends on what you are interested in

Old 07-23-2016, 05:15 PM

2,745 posts, read 3,958,025 times
I like Jacksonville, but it really depends upon where you will be working in Atlanta and what you can afford. If I had to commute from a suburb, I might choose Jacksonville. If I could afford to live in the city, Atlanta without hesitation.

Old 07-23-2016, 06:34 PM

7,777 posts, read 10,156,636 times
This is too open-ended for me to decide. They both can be very good for families. Depends on many other factors. But yes, Atlanta is far ahead in terms of vibrancy, density, diversity and cosmopolitan-feel. Jacksonville is cheaper, traffic is much better, and there is the beach.

Old 07-25-2016, 09:22 PM

9,680 posts, read 9,387,327 times
Atlanta appears to be better even as a smaller city. The types of things going on in Atlanta and its metro area are unmatched by Jacksonville. I like both cities, but Atlanta is better. It is more diverse, offers more jobs, and more amenities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City