Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What's the next cool city
New Orleans 22 6.63%
Providence 16 4.82%
Baltimore 16 4.82%
Pittsburgh 74 22.29%
Richmond 29 8.73%
Detroit 46 13.86%
SLC 38 11.45%
Nashville 91 27.41%
Voters: 332. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2016, 12:36 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,150,335 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I wonder if there's some correlation between the "it-ness" of American cities and the number of cupcake shops on a per capita basis.

Manhattan - 1,977
Los Angeles - 1,940
San Francisco - 997
Washington - 667
Seattle - 492
Atlanta - 461
Houston - 451
Dallas - 401
Boston - 387
Austin - 337
Philadelphia - 316
Denver - 304
Portland - 293
Detroit - 210
Raleigh - 170
Baltimore - 142
St. Louis - 142
Cleveland - 137
Pittsburgh - 123
Nashville - 107
Richmond - 85
Buffalo - 77
Providence - 72
Charleston - 47
Birmingham - 40
Scranton - 8
Flint - 6
I am not sure if I understand these numbers. Are you saying that there is a cupcake shop for each 6 people in Flint and one for each 1977 in Manhattan? No matter how many times I read this, I remain unsure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2016, 12:37 PM

14,352 posts, read 17,017,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProf View Post
So I guess you simply didn't bother to even read the several articles I posted, including how "hot" Cleveland is to millennials... So preconceived ideas and stereotypes are better than empirical data, right?... Gotcha.
Someone a few posts up from you posted two links which looked directly at the cities with the largest percentage growth of millennials with college degrees from 2000-2014. Cleveland wasn't even on that list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I guess that explains the plethora of fat people wandering around Manhattan, LA, San Francisco, and DC with their boxes of cupcakes in tow.
Those cities are major tourist draws though, which of course complicates things. Everyone overeats when traveling.

Even if I wasn't trying to lose weight now (20 pounds down, another 25 or so to go) I certainly wouldn't eat a cupcake more than once a week tops.

Old 08-15-2016, 12:40 PM

37,876 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Those cities are major tourist draws though, which of course complicates things. Everyone overeats when traveling.
I seriously, seriously doubt that visitors account for such high per capita rates of cupcake shops in those cities, and even so, that would help explain Atlanta's numbers...unless you're going to stretch even further and say that business travelers don't eat a lot of cupcakes?

Old 08-15-2016, 12:41 PM

32,087 posts, read 34,686,093 times
Here's the ultimate litmus test. Organic grocery stores. If your city doesn't have 'em, y'all simply aren't poppin.

Manhattan - 1,707
Brooklyn - 1,643
San Francisco - 1,106
Washington - 666 (uh oh)
Chicago - 639
Seattle - 607
Boston - 561
Portland - 414
Atlanta - 315
Denver - 307
Houston - 294
Austin - 288
Dallas - 275
Philadelphia - 234
St. Louis - 123
Baltimore - 115
Nashville - 104
Cleveland - 93
Pittsburgh - 79
Buffalo - 47
Flint - 6
Scranton - 4

Old 08-15-2016, 12:43 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,956,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I wonder if there's some correlation between the "it-ness" of American cities and the number of cupcake shops on a per capita basis.

Manhattan - 1,977
Los Angeles - 1,940
San Francisco - 997
Washington - 667
Seattle - 492
Atlanta - 461
Houston - 451
Dallas - 401
Boston - 387
Austin - 337
Philadelphia - 316
Denver - 304
Portland - 293
Detroit - 210
Raleigh - 170
Baltimore - 142
St. Louis - 142
Cleveland - 137
Pittsburgh - 123
Nashville - 107
Richmond - 85
Buffalo - 77
Providence - 72
Charleston - 47
Birmingham - 40
Scranton - 8
Flint - 6
They have stats for just about every..this confirms it.

Old 08-15-2016, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
I am not sure if I understand these numbers. Are you saying that there is a cupcake shop for each 6 people in Flint and one for each 1977 in Manhattan? No matter how many times I read this, I remain unsure.
No. That's the total number of cupcakes shops.

Old 08-15-2016, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
They have stats for just about every..this confirms it.
Yup. Cupcakes, yoga and organic foods. That's basically everything Millennials need. And craft beers. If any of those are in short supply, then it can't be an "it" city.

Old 08-15-2016, 12:51 PM

4,520 posts, read 5,093,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleverfield View Post
How is Detroit, Providence, or Baltimore more of an "it" city than Cleveland? What is the criteria to be an "it" city? Is it just based on your feelings and perceptions? If so, then this thread is absurd.
Excellent question Cleverfield. Baltimore was really hot until 5 or so years ago, then negatives started piling up: First I started reading that people (mainly white people) were starting to avoid the Inner Harbor -- Baltimore's signature tourist attraction -- because of perceived crime there. Then there was the Freddie Gray killing and the horrible riots; and even more exclamations by suburban whites that they weren't going into the city at all anymore because of fear, the riots, filth, etc., etc... Then to pile on an already bad situation, last year newly-elected republican Gov. Larry Hogan canceled plans for the Red Line light rail transit line-- a critical transit peice that would have connected many important untouched (by rail) areas, like Fells Point, Canton, Social Security HQs, the Inner Harbor, JHU Bayview and East Harbor/Little Italy; not to mention tying together discordant rail pieces like the Metro, Light rail and MARC commuter rail lines... and thanks to this cancellation $300 million in start-up funds were wasted and many TOD residential and commercial project slated to rise near Red Line stations were cancelled. Also many African Americans harmed by the riots and unemployment, had hoped for the Red Line for better urban movement.

So really, after all this Baltimore is an "it" city? ... over Cleveland which has been on a roll? Really!?

And I've said enough about Detroit. For anyone who thinks Detroit is more "it" than Cleveland is, well, beyond help ...

Last edited by TheProf; 08-15-2016 at 01:17 PM..

Old 08-15-2016, 01:00 PM

One final category...places that serve craft beer.

Manhattan - 5,339
(Williamsburg - 263)
Los Angeles - 4,752
Chicago - 2,898
San Francisco - 2,485
Boston - 2,301
Washington - 1,998
Seattle - 1,674
Denver - 1,502
Portland - 1,348
Atlanta - 1,284
Philadelphia - 1,143
Austin - 1,129
Detroit - 889
Indianapolis - 639
St. Louis - 639
Berkeley - 624
Pittsburgh - 620
Raleigh - 609
Columbus - 564
Cleveland - 552
Nashville - 519
Baltimore - 508
Milwaukee - 505
Buffalo - 338
Madison - 289
Chapel Hill - 221
Birmingham - 175
Ann Arbor - 132
Scranton - 44
Flint - 33

Old 08-15-2016, 01:08 PM

4,520 posts, read 5,093,240 times
Quote:
What game are you talking about? I never denied Pittsburgh isn't hot or question this article or the CJN article I posted. Aside from my hatred of the Steelers, I find tons to like, even love, about Pittsburgh. It's our neighbor, an interesting, old hilly city with great, dense exciting neighborhoods. What's not to like? If you've been reading Pittsburgh put-downs by Clevelanders, it certainly hasn't come from me.

Quote:
Regardless, as I said, homerism doesn't really help in these threads. If everybody simply boosts their home city, there will be no actual discussion taking place.

I've been to Cleveland more than a few times, and I've just not been super impressed with it compared to Pittsburgh, although it has been a few years admittedly. My basic thoughts:

1. Downtown has more nightlife than Pittsburgh it's true, and the two are probably about equal in terms of residential population. But it seems like there's a lot less daytime activity in Downtown Cleveland - a lot less people out walking at lunch hour on a weekday. Downtown in general seems more spread out than Pittsburgh, with more parking lots as well.

2. I've spent a fair amount of time in Ohio City and Tremont, and I don't think they really hold a candle to analogous Pittsburgh neighborhoods in terms of architecture or commercial activity. Cleveland has absolutely nothing like South Side or Lawrenceville in terms of sheer walkable commercial variety, and nothing like the North Side in terms of historic architecture.

3. I initially expected University Circle to be an urban node similar to Oakland, but it's much more quiet and campuslike than urban and bustling. Little Italy was cool, but again much smaller than the analogous Pittsburgh neighborhood of Bloomfield.

4. I've heard that Cleveland has better suburbs than Pittsburgh, but I honestly don't think about suburbs much. Here in Pittsburgh if it wasn't for visiting relatives we wouldn't leave city limits for months at a time.

The things which impress me the most about Cleveland versus Pittsburgh are the more robust rail transit network, and that everywhere I go I actually see integrated crowds. For whatever some you just don't see middle-class black and white people hanging out at the same places in Pittsburgh often.
[/quote]

Fine, that's your opinion to which much I disagree. Architecture, yeah, I'll give the nod to Pittsburgh because it's older, brick and people seem to like row houses more than individual woodframes, which is Cleveland's bread and butter. I would say, the variety of residential architecture is pretty wide, as there are a number of brownstone apts, mixed-use commercial, Victorian woods and brick homes and a number row homes, which we call terrace homes in Cleveland.

You also didn't mention the Edgewater neighborhood along the Lake: it's the richest neighborhood in Cleveland and has the nicest homes, many are mansions. But a few blocks south, along Clifton, you have a long interesting strip of old, Victorian homes mixed with brownstone apts, some newer mid-rise apts and mixed-use buildings with clubs, bars and restaurants. It's broken up, not the constant string like South Side, but very vital and lively -- esp near Clifton and W. 117, which borders with Lakewood and the nearby Gold Coast lakefront high-rises. A couple blocks south of this is the grungier, more funky Detroit Ave. strip of clubs and bars... In the mix of housing there are all the type available practically in Cleveland, which is pretty diverse. This area is old, transit friendly (rail, 24-hour bus and BRT), gay friendly and a magnet for millennials.... Oh yeah, I failed to mention that this area gets its name from the adjacent Edgewater Beach and park which is a magnet for everybody-- a beautiful area just 3 miles from downtown and some of the best views of downtown ta boot.

Dowtown Pittsburgh now has more businesses left than Cleveland, but Cleveland has way more residents and activity than Pittsburgh. You obviously haven't been to the new Flats East Bank or the redeveloped Public Square, both of which are drawing new people into downtown like a magnet... As for being more compact? Of course Pittsburgh is, because it's a narrow peninsula bounded by 2 of the 3 rivers: it's one of the smallest major-city downtowns in the U.S.

I'm not sure what you mean in comparing the 2 transit systems -- I tend to think Cleveland's is superior, but that's my opinion.

And as for University Circle, it sounds like you were there prior to the large Uptown mixed-use development at Euclid-Mayfield, which has tended to pull the whole area together with a new walkable, retail district that ties in with the smaller ones that also existed -- RTA last year also relocated its rapid rail station to Mayfield Little Italy which has pumped a lot more foot traffic into the area. It's almost New York and Chicago like, now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City