Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2016, 09:31 PM

14,352 posts, read 17,015,156 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
I grew up on Long Island as well; maybe that's why I've never noticed "New England unfriendliness" people mention.
I grew up in Connecticut, but went to school in Western Massachusetts, as you know. People in Western Mass are definitely "nicer" than Connecticut. For example, they hold the door open for strangers, and will stop at a crosswalk to let pedestrians walk. But I don't think they are any more liable to make causal chitchat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2016, 07:00 AM

37,451 posts, read 61,360,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsFanaticist View Post
This also applies to New York, so I don't get why New England was singled out.
NY has urban and it has rural.

Towns like: Ithaca, Oswego, Watertown, or Potsdam, would all have much nicer attitudes than NYC.

Old 08-30-2016, 12:10 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,029,499 times
This thread is full of New England stereotypes...of course, there are some people that fit the stereotype but MANY others do not. I wouldn't go by anyone's assessment, especially since it's so obviously full of generalizations. I found New England to be very friendly and had no problem talking to people there. It may not have been as friendly overall as Atlanta, but it was still not as bad as some people are saying it is.

Old 08-30-2016, 12:19 PM

9,289 posts, read 14,892,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
We went to a lighthouse in or near, not sure which, Jamestown, R. I. I am native to North Carolina and if I see you I speak to you. We saw a group and wondered if it was a class reunion because they had pictures of the people of the group displayed on a table. Not one person in the group would even say, "Hi." We came away wondering if maybe they spoke another language. Needless to say we found them rather strange. Bet they thought we were rude. It intrigued us that they were out together on a day in such horrible weather.
They probably knew you were not part of the reunion and wondered why you were barging into a private convocation. Most likely had nothing to do with being friendly or unfriendly.

Also, there are so many people in New England from out of state, it's hard to find native New Englanders anymore. Of course, this is also true of much of the south. North Carolina must be loaded with out of staters from all over by now.

Old 08-30-2016, 01:19 PM

1,726 posts, read 1,719,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
They probably knew you were not part of the reunion and wondered why you were barging into a private convocation. Most likely had nothing to do with being friendly or unfriendly.

Also, there are so many people in New England from out of state, it's hard to find native New Englanders anymore. Of course, this is also true of much of the south. North Carolina must be loaded with out of staters from all over by now.
Holly, while there may be lots of transplants from other states in your neck of the woods (i.e., East Bay of RI) and the beach towns, the most populous communities in RI that comprise a vast majority of the state's populace (i.e., Providence, Warwick, Cranston, Pawtucket, East Providence and Woonsocket) are overwhelmingly homegrown, although that may be changing with increased immigration from Asia and Latin America. Rural, low-population towns like Foster, Glocester, Burrillville, North Smithfield, etc. probably see more crossover from neighboring CT and MA towns.

Old 08-30-2016, 01:37 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,238,625 times
It looks like what some people on this thread consider to be rude in New England really has more to do with living in a dense urban/suburban places versus rural places. New England has some of the densest states in the Union. For example, do you really expect people to constantly wave hello to everyone they meet in a high density area?

Old 08-30-2016, 01:48 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,029,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
It looks like what some people on this thread consider to be rude in New England really has more to do with living in a dense urban/suburban places versus rural places. New England has some of the densest states in the Union. For example, do you really expect people to constantly wave hello to everyone they meet in a high density area?
Are you saying that other regions don't have dense urban/suburban places? I assume you know that they do...I'm not sure what you're trying to say here, but I think people are simply stereotyping New Englanders unfairly.

Old 08-30-2016, 02:24 PM

37,451 posts, read 61,360,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
New England also has some of the lowest population-density towns in the nation.

Old 08-30-2016, 08:13 PM

1,982 posts, read 2,087,913 times
It has little to do with density. The people were friendlier in Seoul to me than they were in New England.

Old 09-04-2016, 12:22 AM

12 posts, read 34,467 times
Sounds like she and I will fit in rather well.

My bad for not mentioning that we don't necessarily fit the stereotypical Texan image considering that were both Libertarian, I'm an Atheist and she's into new age religions. Some people in Texas actually wonder if we were from the North because of our more 'proper' dialect. Regardless, were not slow speakers, Republican extremists or very outgoing but we do carry the 'suspicious' kindness that New Englanders are (from what I've read so far) not so fond of. I'm pretty sure it isn't that bad though, or it might just my optimism. We do have a huge fascination in history and heritage and I've read New Englanders love their own ancestry. We are actually considering New Hampshire for residence and Massachusetts for work so I'd love input from folks in Manchester, Nashua and Boston.

TL;DR:
I thought it would be worse, but from what you guys said, I think we'd fit in rather well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City