Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2016, 08:04 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,732,359 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyryztoll View Post
Your wife wants a scenery upgrade and you're considering Dallas?
Yeah I have to agree with this one. Dallas has many positives. Scenery is definitely not one of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2016, 09:35 PM

3,816 posts, read 6,443,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
Yeah I have to agree with this one. Dallas has many positives. Scenery is definitely not one of them.
Agreed. Around here you eventually settle for the landfills as scenery.

Great town with great people, though, and jobs, jobs , JOBS!

Old 09-01-2016, 10:14 PM

345 posts, read 530,400 times
Dallas for scenery? like others said thats not a good idea. dallas is pretty flat in the middle of nowhere in texas. no river or hills, just flat with a bunch of cookie cutter suburbs.Atleast houston got the beach (texas beaches suck but whatever), austin and san antonio got the hill country and river. however, if we aren't talking scenery, then dallas is pretty. The skyline (especially at night) is beautiful. Lots of jobs in the area too.

But for scenery dallas lacks alot. Nashville is alot better in this category.

Old 09-02-2016, 02:15 AM

1,795 posts, read 3,165,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funtraveler1 View Post
Dallas for scenery? like others said thats not a good idea. dallas is pretty flat in the middle of nowhere in texas. no river or hills, just flat with a bunch of cookie cutter suburbs.Atleast houston got the beach (texas beaches suck but whatever), austin and san antonio got the hill country and river. however, if we aren't talking scenery, then dallas is pretty. The skyline (especially at night) is beautiful. Lots of jobs in the area too.

But for scenery dallas lacks alot. Nashville is alot better in this category.

Old 09-02-2016, 02:24 AM

1,795 posts, read 3,165,810 times
I agree with the rest, while the Dallas area lacks scenery it does have lakes, and hills.

Old 09-02-2016, 05:17 AM

2,995 posts, read 3,099,818 times
Scenery is one of the most overrated "requirements" on City-Data, IMO. Everybody on here apparently wants to live in a place that is lush and green, surrounded by mountains, AND close to a beach, so that they can do plenty of "outdoor activities," but 90% of people work all day 5 days a week, go home, bathe, eat, sleep, then wake up and repeat anyway.

If you have the weekend off, vacation days, etc. you might as well just drive 2 or 3 hours/take an occasional trip to get to scenery and outdoorsy stuff when you have free time. Since most Americans' lives revolve around work and then home and family (if they have one) when they are off work---unless the city you live in is just a barren, post apocalyptic wasteland or something---it's much more important to live in a city with a strong economy, plenty of good jobs, affordable cost of living, etc than one that's close to a beach, covered in green trees, or surrounded by mountains.

I know a lot of City-Data fanatics are going to strongly disagree, but that's just my opinion.

Old 09-02-2016, 05:24 AM

3,816 posts, read 6,443,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentallect View Post
Scenery is one of the most overrated "requirements" on City-Data, IMO. Everybody on here apparently wants to live in a place that is lush and green, surrounded by mountains, AND close to a beach, so that they can do plenty of "outdoor activities," but 90% of people work all day 5 days a week, go home, bathe, eat, sleep, then wake up and repeat anyway.

If you have the weekend off, vacation days, etc. you might as well just drive 2 or 3 hours/take an occasional trip to get to scenery and outdoorsy stuff when you have free time. Since most Americans' lives revolve around work and then home and family (if they have one) when they are off work---unless the city you live in is just a barren, post apocalyptic wasteland or something---it's much more important to live in a city with a strong economy, plenty of good jobs, affordable cost of living, etc than one that's close to a beach, covered in green trees, or surrounded by mountains.

I know a lot of City-Data fanatics are going to strongly disagree, but that's just my opinion.
Actually, this is a great post. Nice job.

Old 09-02-2016, 07:26 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,590,333 times
Quote:

I'd disagree, climate is very important to me, I can't live in a place that gets cold, or humid, or doesn't have alot of sunshine, or I get depressed. That leaves me the very small southwestern corner of this country.

I grew up in the Northeast, which has plenty of jobs, but I had to take prescription anti-depressants 6 months/year (I'm sure you can guess which ones), or I was a mess. No more since I moved to Phoenix, and eventually moving to California. You couldn't give me all the money in the world to live in a place like Chicago or Dallas!

Old 09-02-2016, 08:24 AM

2,217 posts, read 3,900,194 times
Based on your wife's criteria Nashville may be a better fit. The scenery in Nashville is beautiful and more reminiscent of New England's natural setting minus the brutal winters.

To Dallas credit it is far more greener than Phoenix but a pretty bland landscape overall.

Old 09-02-2016, 09:37 AM

9,679 posts, read 9,380,908 times
Quote:

I see your point, but consider a place that is lush, green, and has reasonable weather conditions to be valued. A good paying job in a dump of a place (no reference to either city) is still a dump.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City