Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2016, 02:52 PM

2,314 posts, read 4,796,759 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
Drugs are rampant in the West Coast nightlife. I can't remember a night going out in SF in which I did NOT see someone doing coke somewhere. Coke is extremely common in SF nightlife. The only time I went out with people in LA doing coke was when I went out with fraternity brothers who came to visit LA.
Coke is REALLY rampant in NYC nightlife too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2016, 03:03 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,338,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nafster View Post
I guess I haven't been out there enough to see it or went to the wrong (right) places. The handful of times I did go out, though, I never saw it happening.

Old 08-31-2016, 03:23 PM

8,090 posts, read 6,957,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
I guess I haven't been out there enough to see it or went to the wrong (right) places. The handful of times I did go out, though, I never saw it happening.
There's a ton of blow in NY nightlife. A ton.

Old 08-31-2016, 03:53 PM

2,452 posts, read 2,379,689 times
Quote:
What about Pepsi?

Old 09-01-2016, 09:15 PM

57 posts, read 74,726 times
For a cheap city (~$600-700 for a decent one bedroom) with good night life I'd recommend Tucson, AZ. If you are younger than 30 you'll do well. The University of Arizona is there. All the good bars are off 4th ave and Congress Street. Many college girls don't have issues with men in their mid to late 20s but once you hit 30 it takes a turn. Plus it warm here, even winters are very mild. The most I ever need is pants and a light jacket.

Old 09-02-2016, 01:44 PM

429 posts, read 479,193 times
Quote:
We can agree to disagree - but I stand by my statement. Of course the cities you mentioned have nightlife that is centered around drinking - but that wasn't the question of the thread. It is best cities for a party animal, and outside of LA, no city out West really fits that bill as "Best" because it is NOT centered around drinking and "Partying" as much as the cities out East and in the South, and SF is definitely not a "best of" city for a party animal.

Maybe I should have narrowed my "rave" comment to the Southwest, but I still stand by what I said.
This is what I was replying to:

"The cities out West (including LA) have more rave cultures with drugs - not so much centered around drinking. Again, it's there, but it's not the Norm (fortunately)."

I'm saying that is completely false from my experience. It applies to Arizona (especially Phoenix) very strongly, yes. And it's barely a half-truth about Southern California. But for cities like San Francisco, Oakland, Portland, Seattle, Denver, etc. it's just completely off-base. As nightlife cities, those are first and foremost bar towns. Places with good and varied bar scenes and high densities of drinking establishments. SF is a bit more versatile and has a decent club scene as well. And it's not like raves don't exist in these cities - it's just very far from being the norm. The norm is going out and drinking at bars.

As for the "Party Animal" towns - aside from NYC and Chicago, which cities in the Midwest or East Coast are bigger party cities than SF? Boston, Philly, Minneapolis? No way. SF may not be a crazy party town, but aside from NYC I'd take its nightlife over any Northeast City. Honestly, if you remove NYC, Chicago, and LA, I think the big cities in the West, Midwest, and Northeast are very comparable in terms of their party scenes.

The South is a different beast - yes, there are several "party towns" in the South that specialize in late night debauchery, but honestly, aside from New Orleans I don't think cities in the South have particularly great bar scenes compared to their Western, Midwestern, and Northeastern counterparts.

Last edited by Edward234; 09-02-2016 at 01:57 PM..

Old 09-02-2016, 03:02 PM

100 posts, read 103,367 times
Bartend in a college town for a year or two. College bars want mid-to-late-20-something males manning the bars at night, because the female talent runs into trouble behind the bar once the drunken college kids are out in force, and the just out of college guys give away the farm.

Will give you ample opportunity to socialize with the loner late-night boozer chicks for a year while you save up. Then, fly to Thailand or India and live like a substance-addled sex god on your savings for a few years.

Old 09-02-2016, 06:09 PM

1,849 posts, read 1,807,463 times
Denver. People are trashed on pot, booze, and cocaine 7 days a week

People from the interior Midwest drink a lot and turn into party animals - but likely because there is nothing better to do but get liquored up. I wouldn't consider Minneapolis a party city, but a city where people just happen to drink a ton

I used to live in LA and love it, but Jesus Christ that place is not a bar town by any means - it is a party city though. LA had the crappiest happy hours deals I've ever seen but I knew my spots

Old 09-02-2016, 06:29 PM

429 posts, read 479,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N610DL View Post
Denver. People are trashed on pot, booze, and cocaine 7 days a week

People from the interior Midwest drink a lot and turn into party animals - but likely because there is nothing better to do but get liquored up. I wouldn't consider Minneapolis a party city, but a city where people just happen to drink a ton

I used to live in LA and love it, but Jesus Christ that place is not a bar town by any means - it is a party city though. LA had the crappiest happy hours deals I've ever seen but I knew my spots
I really like Denver, but it is very far away from being a city for party animals. Very comparable to Minneapolis, Seattle, or Portland - a good bar town with some fun nightlife neighborhoods, but not a party city by any stretch.

Old 09-05-2016, 01:43 AM

650 posts, read 867,406 times
Don't come to Miami. I live here. It's gets old quick. Full of homeless, shady people, scammers, robbers, etc. you will end up getting robbed or hurt. The police will tell you the same. I've lived in Detroit and DC too so that says something.

I recommend:
Tampa
Ft Lauderdale
Jacksonville
LA
San Diego
Chicago
NYC
DC
Phoenix
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City