Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Can Baltimore ever achieve the type of vibrance and major city quality of its 4 northeastern peers?
yes it can 52 42.28%
no it can't 71 57.72%
Voters: 123. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2016, 07:25 PM

741 posts, read 1,113,410 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwduvall View Post
Did Baltimore steal your lunch money? Is there some other reason that you need to trash Baltimore all the time about every subject?

Clearly Baltimore needs to find its own way. Also, to me anyway, it doesn't need to compete with DC in every way. If Baltimore does something well every now and then, there is no reason for DC folks to get worked up about it. Since DC is the nation's capital, and there is only one, DC and its suburban residents should feel secure about their exalted position and stop worrying so much about Baltimore. If need be, you folks can just look down on us with quiet disgust. Just be quiet.
I like this post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2016, 08:01 PM

13,728 posts, read 15,760,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
It's just as much about the types of people a place adds as it is how many. However, in Baltimore's vibrant neighborhoods you'd be hard pressed to top them if you're not NYC (in the cities we're comparing). Also, the majority of your post has nothing to do with my comment. I'm talking about vibrany, and you're talking about Rowhouses.
Huh? Row house neighborhoods will never be as vibrant as urban highrise neighborhoods with first floor retail. It's the retail that makes neighborhoods vibrant. Row house neighborhoods can't come close.

Old 09-13-2016, 08:23 PM

10,110 posts, read 9,971,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Huh? Row house neighborhoods will never be as vibrant as urban highrise neighborhoods with first floor retail. It's the retail that makes neighborhoods vibrant. Row house neighborhoods can't come close.
Apartments aren't vibrant, they all don't have first floor retail, so it doesn't matter if it is a Rowhouse or apartment. There are usually corridors lines with retail. In DC's case, what's vibrant about having a Starbucks, Chipotle, and Panera Bread on the first floor of a glass box? Just typing that almost bore me to death. Fells Point, Federal Hill, Canton are all Rowhouse neighborhoods, so I guest your logic doesn't apply here.

Old 09-13-2016, 08:53 PM

10,215 posts, read 15,927,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
I know you guys are really down in Baltimore, but there's only a handful of cities on a tier above it. For all their growth, you'd still be hard-pressed to argue that Austin, Denver, Minneapolis and the like are more "vibrant" or "major" than Baltimore.

Baltimore isn't in the best shape, but is on an upward trajectory. Boston really benefits from being in a region by itself. Baltimore is too far away from DC to be a twin city, and two major, historically speaking, to be a satellite. That said, it's too close to DC and Philly to be a regional anchor city.
I do think the cities mentioend above and other cities like Houston, Dallas, Charlotte, Atlanta and even Columbus are more vibrant than Baltimore. I used to live in the Baltimore region. I think Baltimore is overshadowed by DC the way Fort Worth is shadowed by Dallas. It is also more blue collar and laid back and I actually like it better that way....the area as a whole. The ghetto is a whole different story. FOr the city itself to improve it needs a mayor like Rudy Giuliani and a police chief like Joe Arpaio.

Philadelphia is NOT a glamorous city by any means. It is also associated heavily with blighted neighborhoods and urban crime. And other parts of the I-95 corridor are very bad like Newark, New Jersey for example, and Camden.

Old 09-13-2016, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Apartments aren't vibrant, they all don't have first floor retail, so it doesn't matter if it is a Rowhouse or apartment. There are usually corridors lines with retail. In DC's case, what's vibrant about having a Starbucks, Chipotle, and Panera Bread on the first floor of a glass box? Just typing that almost bore me to death. Fells Point, Federal Hill, Canton are all Rowhouse neighborhoods, so I guest your logic doesn't apply here.
I don't know of a single chipotle, maybe one starbucks, and no Panera Bread in Capital Riverfront or Mt. Vernon Triangle. There won't be many chains in The Wharf or Waterfront Station either. Have you even been to DC before? Rowhouse neighborhoods aren't urban like downtown neighborhoods. DC is the restaurant city of the year and has iron chefs from all over the world flocking to DC. I'm not going discuss food with you in regards to DC because clearly the people that matter in that profession think DC is one of the best in the nation. Michelin is also rating our city as we speak. DC is on a different level.

As for first floor retail, almost every single building in DC going up has first floor retail.

Last edited by MDAllstar; 09-13-2016 at 09:14 PM..

Old 09-13-2016, 09:24 PM

Quote:
I don't know of a single chipotle, maybe one starbucks, and no Panera Bread in Capital Riverfront or Mt. Vernon Triangle. There won't be many chains in The Wharf or Waterfront Station either. Have you even been to DC before? Rowhouse neighborhoods aren't urban like downtown neighborhoods. DC is the restaurant city of the year and has iron chefs from all over the world flocking to DC. I'm not going discuss food with you in regards to DC because clearly the people that matter in that profession think DC is one of the best in the nation. Michelin is also rating our city as we speak. DC is on a different level.

As for first floor retail, almost every single building in DC going up has first floor retail.
And yet Fells Point and Federal Hill are Vibrant, very urban, downtown neighborhoods. Philly would probably want a word with you as well about your assertion.

Old 09-13-2016, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwduvall View Post
Did Baltimore steal your lunch money? Is there some other reason that you need to trash Baltimore all the time about every subject?

Clearly Baltimore needs to find its own way. Also, to me anyway, it doesn't need to compete with DC in every way. If Baltimore does something well every now and then, there is no reason for DC folks to get worked up about it. Since DC is the nation's capital, and there is only one, DC and its suburban residents should feel secure about their exalted position and stop worrying so much about Baltimore. If need be, you folks can just look down on us with quiet disgust. Just be quiet.
I'm in Baltimore a lot for work. I don't know why you think I dislike the city so much. I just point out the facts. I guarantee I'm in the inner harbor more than anybody else posting in this thread. I was just asking a valid question when the claim was made that Baltimore was going to become as vibrant as the other cities in the NE.

Old 09-13-2016, 09:28 PM

Quote:

Food is subjective.
https://www.zagat.com/b/the-top-17-f...ties-of-2015#1

Are you sure you want to put all your faith in someone else's taste buds??

Old 09-13-2016, 09:31 PM

Quote:
And yet Fells Point and Federal Hill are Vibrant, very urban, downtown neighborhoods. Philly would probably want a word with you as well about your assertion.
Kidphilly and I argue about that all the time. Row house neighborhoods just aren't as vibrant as downtown and that includes Baltimore too. Fells Point may be nicer than the Inner Harbor, but it's not as vibrant.

Old 09-13-2016, 09:32 PM

Quote:
I'm in Baltimore a lot for work. I don't know why you think I dislike the city so much. I just point out the facts. I guarantee I'm in the inner harbor more than anybody else posting in this thread. I was just asking a valid question when the claim was made that Baltimore was going to become as vibrant as the other cities in the NE.
How often are you in the Inner Harbor?
Where else in Baltimore do you go aside from the Inner Harbor?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City