Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Battle of the Empire States
New York 77 69.37%
Georgia 34 30.63%
Voters: 111. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2016, 01:22 AM
_OT

2,183 posts, read 2,416,977 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I believe that in spite of FL just passing NY in population, their economy is smaller. CA is essentially Canada in terms of population, while TX is second in terms of land size and population. NY is 30th in land size and is still 4th in terms of population. Yet it has the Adirondack Park, which is bigger than several national parks combined. It has ocean and lakeside beaches. It has plenty of islands. It has canyons, dunes and caverns. It has a range in terms of cost of living, social and living environments. I could go on, but it is a very diverse state in many ways.
Must remember that New York was considered a state decades before Cali, Texas, and Florida, the fact that those states passed NY is impressive. Texas, Florida, and California all have beaches, oceans, islands, and dunes; Cali and Texas also having mountains, canyons, and caverns as well. In terms of Biodiversity, California, Florida, and Texas all ranked very highly above of NY. I'm sure NY is a great state, but cities in Cali, Florida, and Texas are more varied overall...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2016, 06:46 AM

93,255 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _OT View Post
Must remember that New York was considered a state decades before Cali, Texas, and Florida, the fact that those states passed NY is impressive. Texas, Florida, and California all have beaches, oceans, islands, and dunes; Cali and Texas also having mountains, canyons, and caverns as well. In terms of Biodiversity, California, Florida, and Texas all ranked very highly above of NY. I'm sure NY is a great state, but cities in Cali, Florida, and Texas are more varied overall...
My point is that CA and TX are much bigger states than NY in terms of land area. FL is also bigger in that regard. So, it isn't surprising if those states have all of those things in comparison.

I don't know if the cities in those other states, except for CA, are that much different from each other. Upstate NY cities/areas can be similar, but there are also some notable differences. Albany is one of the oldest cities in the country and has many row house neighborhoods, which aren't as common as cities further west in the state. Rochester and Albany are more white collar than people may realize and both are top 25 out of the top 100 metros in educational attainment(those 25 and older with at least a Bachelor's degree). There are Native American communities/populations in the Syracuse and Buffalo areas, which is rare in the Northeast. There are other examples. So, the cities are uniform outside of NYC in NYS.

With this said, this is about NY and GA.

Old 09-10-2016, 06:52 AM

12,968 posts, read 9,650,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyNY View Post
Came up with this after recalling that one of Georgia's nicknames is "Empire State of the South"

Regardless of how true or false that claim might be, I thought this would be a fairly equal comparison

Compare and contrast in the following categories:

-Cost of Living

-Weather/climate

-Outdoor activities (Theme/amusement parks, national parks, etc.)

-Education (Both K-12 and college)

-Cities (Not just NYC vs. ATL, consider others like Buffalo and Savannah)

-People (Diversity, politics, etc. Which state population would you prefer to live among?)

-Neighboring states

-Historical locations

As usual, this poll is subjective, and not meant to prove anything
I'll give the first two on this list to Georgia and the rest to New York.

Old 09-10-2016, 09:00 AM

44 posts, read 62,229 times
Quote:
Influential where? lol, not in 2016.
New York City isn't an influential city? That's just silly. You don't have to like it or think it's a good place to live, but New York is almost certainly the most important city in the US. The only city that gives it a run for its money is LA. I don't think any other city even comes close.

You're acting like an apocalypse hit the city. Just because it's not as much of a powerhouse as it was in 1945 doesn't mean it's been surpassed by a city like Houston.

Old 09-10-2016, 10:17 AM
_OT

2,183 posts, read 2,416,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinnamonbuns View Post
New York City isn't an influential city? That's just silly. You don't have to like it or think it's a good place to live, but New York is almost certainly the most important city in the US. The only city that gives it a run for its money is LA. I don't think any other city even comes close.

You're acting like an apocalypse hit the city. Just because it's not as much of a powerhouse as it was in 1945 doesn't mean it's been surpassed by a city like Houston.
I love NYC, I got family up there, I spent summers in the city. I'm not saying NYC isn't important, but this isn't the UK where London dominates everything culturally. Like I said before, the US wouldn't be as popular if NYC was the only important city. People don't visit or move to the US just to go NYC and NYC only, we've got LA, Miami, DC, Philly, San Francisco, Houston, Chicago, Atlanta, etc. We've got places with BETTER food than NYC, BETTER weather, BETTER scenery, I could go on and on.

Old 09-10-2016, 11:29 AM

3,298 posts, read 3,889,486 times
I LOVE both states and there are many similarities between both but the tie breaker is the heat and humidity. NY wins.

Old 09-10-2016, 12:08 PM

1,462 posts, read 1,428,570 times
Quote:
I love NYC, I got family up there, I spent summers in the city. I'm not saying NYC isn't important, but this isn't the UK where London dominates everything culturally. Like I said before, the US wouldn't be as popular if NYC was the only important city. People don't visit or move to the US just to go NYC and NYC only, we've got LA, Miami, DC, Philly, San Francisco, Houston, Chicago, Atlanta, etc. We've got places with BETTER food than NYC, BETTER weather, BETTER scenery, I could go on and on.
NYC at one time was THE place to be for every body.Even before LA was "L.A.". So much influence was there and there alone.
Its not like that anymore.
MadMen did an episode where they had to go to Atlanta.Of course for Coke.Today Madison Ave is just mainly another street.
Coke has several agencies in several cities in the U.S. and around the world.NYC is still one of them but its not the only game in town sny more.

Old 09-10-2016, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othello Is Here View Post
Georgia is a very big state.Some areas of the state I would gladly live anywhere in the world but those places.
Just like some people like you could not wait to leave GA there are people in NY feeling the same way.I know some that made there way back here more than once and then for good.

New York is one of the most corrupt states in America and many want to (and have left)leave for that very reason alone
Georgia definately has some backwasrds areas but overll,the state is one of the best ran in the country and sound fiscally.
Ranking the States by Fiscal Condition 2016 Edition | Mercatus
You are not the only one that has moved away and lived many places to have seen the differences but its usually "the grass is always greener on the other side".
GA is actually slightly above the middle on the list. So, it is essentially slightly above average in regards to that Fiscal Condition list.

As for corruption, I dare say that it just manifests itself in different ways and may depend on "who you ask".

I think what may tip things NY's way for some people is if you take the biggest area out of both states, which would you pick. This again may depend on "who you ask" and a guess.

Old 09-10-2016, 02:19 PM

1,462 posts, read 1,428,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
GA is actually slightly above the middle on the list. So, it is essentially slightly above average in regards to that Fiscal Condition list.

As for corruption, I dare say that it just manifests itself in different ways and may depend on "who you ask".

I think what may tip things NY's way for some people is if you take the biggest area out of both states, which would you pick. This again may depend on "who you ask".
Im just looking at how many politicians have gone to jail or been charged in the last 6 years compared to Georgia.

New York[edit]
Majority Leader of the New York State Senate Dean Skelos (R) convicted of federal corruption charges. (2015)[103][104]
Speaker of the New York State Assembly Sheldon Silver (D) convicted of federal corruption. (2015)[105]
Deputy Majority Leader of the New York Senate Tom Libous (R) was convicted of lying to FBI. (2015)[106]
Minority Leader of the New York State Senate John L. Sampson (D) was convicted of obstructing justice and making false statement. (2015)[107]
Majority Leader of the New York State Senate Malcolm Smith (D) was found guilty in federal court of conspiracy, wire fraud, bribery and extortion for trying to bribe a Republican Party official to let him onto the Republican ballot in the 2013 New York City mayoral race. (2014)[108]
State Assemblywoman Gabriela Rosa (D) sentenced to a year in jail for entering into a sham marriage in order to gain U.S. citizenship. (2014)[109]
State Assemblyman William Boyland, Jr. (D) convicted of bribery (2014)[110]
State Assemblyman Eric Stevenson (D) found guilty of bribery, conspiracy and other related charges. (2014)[111]
State Assemblyman Nelson Castro (D) convicted of perjury (2013)[112]
State Senator Shirley Huntley (D) convicted of mail fraud.[113] She was sentenced to one year and a day in prison. (2013)[114][115]
State Assemblyman Vito J. Lopez (D) fined $330,000 after groping, intimidating and manipulating young female staffers. (2013)[116]
Majority Leader of the New York State Senate Pedro Espada Jr. (D) On May 14, 2012 a federal jury found Espada guilty of embezzling money from federally funded healthcare clinics, after 11 days of deliberation. (2012)[117]
State Senator Vincent Leibell (R) found guilty of felony bribery, tax evasion, and obstruction of justice charges related to $43,000 in cash kickbacks he took from 2003 to 2006. (2012)[118][119]
State Senator Nicholas Spano (R), convicted of federal income tax evasion. Spano pleaded guilty to the single felony. He was sentenced to 12 to 18 months in federal prison. (2012)[120]
New York State Comptroller Alan Hevesi (D), was convicted on charges surrounding a "pay to play" scheme regarding the New York State Pension Fund, and was sentenced to 1–4 years. (2011)[121]
State Senator Carl Kruger (D) resigned his seat and pleaded guilty to charges of corruption and bribery. (2011)[122]
State Senator Efrain Gonzalez Jr. (D) was convicted of fraud and embezzling $400,000 from the West Bronx Neighborhood Association Inc. and was sentenced to seven years in federal prison (2010)[123]
State Health Commissioner Antonia Novello (R) pleaded guilty to costing the taxpayers $48,000 by making her staff carry out personal chores for her such as taking her shopping and picking up her dry cleaning. Her plea deal calls for 250 hours of community service at an Albany health clinic, $22,500 in restitution and a $5,000 fine. (2009)[124][125]
Local[edit]
Mayor of Mount Vernon Ernie Davis (D) was convicted on federal misdemeanor tax evasion. (2014)[126]
New York City Council member Dan Halloran (R) convicted of taking bribes and orchestrating payoffs. (2014)
New York City Council member Larry Seabrook (D)

Georgia[edit]
State Senator Charles Walker (D), was convicted of 127 felony charges related to various schemes. Walker paid $698,047 in restitution and another $200,000 in fines and court fees. (2013)[34]
Local[edit]
Gwinnett County Commissioner Shirley Lasseter (R) resigned and pleaded guilty to bribery. (2012)[3

In regards to each of their fiscal condition on the list.New York is near the bottom of the list

Old 09-10-2016, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othello Is Here View Post
Im just looking at how many politicians have gone to jail or been charged in the last 6 years compared to Georgia.

New York[edit]
Majority Leader of the New York State Senate Dean Skelos (R) convicted of federal corruption charges. (2015)[103][104]
Speaker of the New York State Assembly Sheldon Silver (D) convicted of federal corruption. (2015)[105]
Deputy Majority Leader of the New York Senate Tom Libous (R) was convicted of lying to FBI. (2015)[106]
Minority Leader of the New York State Senate John L. Sampson (D) was convicted of obstructing justice and making false statement. (2015)[107]
Majority Leader of the New York State Senate Malcolm Smith (D) was found guilty in federal court of conspiracy, wire fraud, bribery and extortion for trying to bribe a Republican Party official to let him onto the Republican ballot in the 2013 New York City mayoral race. (2014)[108]
State Assemblywoman Gabriela Rosa (D) sentenced to a year in jail for entering into a sham marriage in order to gain U.S. citizenship. (2014)[109]
State Assemblyman William Boyland, Jr. (D) convicted of bribery (2014)[110]
State Assemblyman Eric Stevenson (D) found guilty of bribery, conspiracy and other related charges. (2014)[111]
State Assemblyman Nelson Castro (D) convicted of perjury (2013)[112]
State Senator Shirley Huntley (D) convicted of mail fraud.[113] She was sentenced to one year and a day in prison. (2013)[114][115]
State Assemblyman Vito J. Lopez (D) fined $330,000 after groping, intimidating and manipulating young female staffers. (2013)[116]
Majority Leader of the New York State Senate Pedro Espada Jr. (D) On May 14, 2012 a federal jury found Espada guilty of embezzling money from federally funded healthcare clinics, after 11 days of deliberation. (2012)[117]
State Senator Vincent Leibell (R) found guilty of felony bribery, tax evasion, and obstruction of justice charges related to $43,000 in cash kickbacks he took from 2003 to 2006. (2012)[118][119]
State Senator Nicholas Spano (R), convicted of federal income tax evasion. Spano pleaded guilty to the single felony. He was sentenced to 12 to 18 months in federal prison. (2012)[120]
New York State Comptroller Alan Hevesi (D), was convicted on charges surrounding a "pay to play" scheme regarding the New York State Pension Fund, and was sentenced to 1–4 years. (2011)[121]
State Senator Carl Kruger (D) resigned his seat and pleaded guilty to charges of corruption and bribery. (2011)[122]
State Senator Efrain Gonzalez Jr. (D) was convicted of fraud and embezzling $400,000 from the West Bronx Neighborhood Association Inc. and was sentenced to seven years in federal prison (2010)[123]
State Health Commissioner Antonia Novello (R) pleaded guilty to costing the taxpayers $48,000 by making her staff carry out personal chores for her such as taking her shopping and picking up her dry cleaning. Her plea deal calls for 250 hours of community service at an Albany health clinic, $22,500 in restitution and a $5,000 fine. (2009)[124][125]
Local[edit]
Mayor of Mount Vernon Ernie Davis (D) was convicted on federal misdemeanor tax evasion. (2014)[126]
New York City Council member Dan Halloran (R) convicted of taking bribes and orchestrating payoffs. (2014)
New York City Council member Larry Seabrook (D)

Georgia[edit]
State Senator Charles Walker (D), was convicted of 127 felony charges related to various schemes. Walker paid $698,047 in restitution and another $200,000 in fines and court fees. (2013)[34]
Local[edit]
Gwinnett County Commissioner Shirley Lasseter (R) resigned and pleaded guilty to bribery. (2012)[3

In regards to each of their fiscal condition on the list.New York is near the bottom of the list
On the other hand, you have this: Which States Rely the Most on Federal Aid? | Tax Foundation

https://wallethub.com/edu/states-mos...vernment/2700/

Georgia earns D- on government corruption scorecard | The Watchdog blog

https://www.publicintegrity.org/2012...-score-country

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...es-in-america/

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 09-10-2016 at 02:48 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City