Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2016, 07:55 PM

55 posts, read 104,792 times

Advertisements

Well I've checked out the prices in Charleston and they are affordable compared to California. I can get an apartment there for $800-$1000 whereas where I'm living in California a one bedroom is going to run you starting at 1700. Some 1 bedrooms in California are even 2200 depending on which beach you are close to. Keep in mind when I said I was looking for something affordable that I was looking for something affordable compared to California.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2016, 08:23 PM

3,298 posts, read 3,888,515 times
I often hear "But it's cheaper than..." take into account that the pay scale is lower in the cheap cities.

Old 09-23-2016, 02:23 AM

2,000 posts, read 1,863,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
Affordable housing and Charleston are not often heard in the same breath.
You have to remember affordable housing is different in depending where someone is comming from. If you are comming from ca then its alot of affordable housing but if you are comming from maine or west Virginia then you maybe out of luck

Old 09-23-2016, 02:24 AM

93,204 posts, read 123,819,554 times
Fort Collins appears to be about an hour from Denver. I'm not sure if that matters though.

Old 09-23-2016, 02:24 AM

2,000 posts, read 1,863,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Californiaescape View Post
Well I've checked out the prices in Charleston and they are affordable compared to California. I can get an apartment there for $800-$1000 whereas where I'm living in California a one bedroom is going to run you starting at 1700. Some 1 bedrooms in California are even 2200 depending on which beach you are close to. Keep in mind when I said I was looking for something affordable that I was looking for something affordable compared to California.
You can find plenty of apts around charleston area from around the 1000 mark that are really nice witsh all upgraded aminites

As far as traffic like i said there is traffic in charleston but nothing compared to a big city. The only time there is bad traffic in charleston is during rush hour times. Other cities you bound to hit traffic anytime of the day, even weekends.

Just make sure you if you move anywhere to already have you job lined up. For example its a comcast support center thats anout to open up in the area in a few months that will hire 500 people starting out at $15 but with experience and considering you are good and can get something maybe in the $20 range. But its alot of jobs around. Just have to look

Old 10-05-2016, 02:44 PM

3,491 posts, read 6,971,438 times
I would pick Charlotte but hey thats just me

Old 10-05-2016, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Californiaescape View Post
Im not a city life person. I hate traffic, I hate smog, I hate crime. Im a beach lover who prefers safe suburbs, with a reasonable commute to jobs. As a single female my safety is important to me.
Then don't move to Charlotte. It's a big city with lots of traffic, crime, and smog (you can see it the mornings across the city skyline). It's also at least 4 hours from the beach. As far as Charleston goes, it has grown a lot and the traffic can be a headache. Crime has always been high there.

Old 10-05-2016, 05:42 PM

6,772 posts, read 4,510,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecarebear View Post
Then don't move to Charlotte. It's a big city with lots of traffic, crime, and smog (you can see it the mornings across the city skyline). It's also at least 4 hours from the beach. As far as Charleston goes, it has grown a lot and the traffic can be a headache. Crime has always been high there.
You're wrong on so many counts concerning Charlotte. The traffic can be bad, but far, far from the worse for cities its size (850,000). There were only 60 murders in 2015. Again, this is for a city of 850,000. Smog? It's one of the most smog-free cities in the nation. Rarely is there ever a day that it's "bad". Is there smog? Yes. But better than the majority of large cities. It does not take "at least" 4 hours to get to the beach. I can easily get to Myrtle Beach or Charleston's beaches in a solid 3.5 hours. I've been driving to those places for years. I mean, WOW, lol.

Old 10-05-2016, 06:53 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,904,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecarebear View Post
Both Charlotte and Charleston have safe suburbs (which is what she's looking for) and as march2 said, you can usually get to the beaches from Charlotte in 3-3.5 hours.

Old 10-05-2016, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by march2 View Post
You're wrong on so many counts concerning Charlotte. The traffic can be bad, but far, far from the worse for cities its size (850,000). There were only 60 murders in 2015. Again, this is for a city of 850,000. Smog? It's one of the most smog-free cities in the nation. Rarely is there ever a day that it's "bad". Is there smog? Yes. But better than the majority of large cities. It does not take "at least" 4 hours to get to the beach. I can easily get to Myrtle Beach or Charleston's beaches in a solid 3.5 hours. I've been driving to those places for years. I mean, WOW, lol.
I have a feeling you have only lived in Gastonia and not Charlotte. Big difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City