Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: 2nd Best City in all America!!
CHICAGO 63 32.98%
LOS ANGELES 42 21.99%
ATLANTA 4 2.09%
SAN FRANCISCO 22 11.52%
WASHINGTON DC 13 6.81%
MIAMI 3 1.57%
LAS VEGAS 1 0.52%
BOSTON 12 6.28%
PHILADLEPHIA 17 8.90%
HOUSTON 4 2.09%
DALLAS 2 1.05%
SEATTLE 8 4.19%
Voters: 191. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2016, 11:55 PM

1,564 posts, read 1,669,921 times

Advertisements

Lmao Calm Down Hater

That_One_Guy,New York is crowded because everything is built in a vertical system so people are literally stacked on top of each other. Los Angeles wasnt built like that because of the fear of earthquakes.You do know these cities are man made right ? Meaning another New York City can be built in the middle of Nebraska.Maybe it wont be separated by water or tunnels but anything the government wants to make it will.But Los Angeles is different because it's in a location that geographically has better weather,beaches and palm trees.That alone is something man never change.See the Difference.

Just a little knowlede on how stupid you guys on the Eastcoast sound about a man made city.

And Fyi,Los Angeles is so big it has parts that's walkable and unwalkable.You cant call it suburban or urban because it's really a mix of everything in one.

Old 11-19-2016, 12:01 AM

1,564 posts, read 1,669,921 times
Public transit sucks in Los Angeles ? No Comment for a dumb comment like that.

We're in 2016 where Uber,Lyft and other Westcoast car companies are at our service with the press of a button.

If you know your history you should know that Los Angeles had the biggest railroad system in the world at one point in time.This is where a lack of education sets in at.And now decades later Los Angeles is revitalizing the rail system.

Old 11-19-2016, 12:33 AM

2,272 posts, read 2,218,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobe25 View Post
Lmao Calm Down Hater

That_One_Guy,New York is crowded because everything is built in a vertical system so people are literally stacked on top of each other. Los Angeles wasnt built like that because of the fear of earthquakes.You do know these cities are man made right ? Meaning another New York City can be built in the middle of Nebraska.Maybe it wont be separated by water or tunnels but anything the government wants to make it will.But Los Angeles is different because it's in a location that geographically has better weather,beaches and palm trees.That alone is nothing made can do to ever change the environment.

Just a little knowlede on how stupid you guys on the Eastcoast sound about a man made city.

And Fyi,Los Angeles is so big it has parts that's walkable and unwalkable.You cant call it suburban or urban because it's really a mix of everything in one.
Honestly, I was trying to be nice and give you the benefit of the doubt.
You do realize I do like LA and I voted for LA in this poll right? I said in my first post, so I don't know why you are so triggered? Just because I mentioned that LA is spread out? I did not mean to trigger this, lol
Yes, NY is built vertically. This makes it very urban. LA is not. It is more sprawled out and has a much more suburban layout.
Yes I know that cities are manmade...
Ok, hypothetically another NYC can be built in Nebraska, but this is really unrealistic. Also I don't see the point?
Yes. Palm trees are nice. LA has much better weather and much nicer beaches than NYC. I even said myself in my first post that the west coast offers better climates. None of this has to do with urbanity though?
I agree that NYC weather sucks, lol. I talk about this a lot.

Parts of LA are definitely more walkable than others, but LA in general is an extremely unwalkable city + very sprawled.
Quote:
Public transit sucks in Los Angeles ? No Comment for a dumb comment like that.

We're in 2016 where Uber,Lyft and other Westcoast car companies are at our service with the press of a button.

If you know your history you should know that Los Angeles had the biggest railroad system in the world at one point in time.This is where a lack of education sets in at.And now decades later Los Angeles is revitalizing the rail system.
Yes. I think public transit sucks in LA. I guess I don't have a comment for this either because we clearly just have different opinions here, probably due to the different types of cities we grew up in

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Uber and Lyft are not public transit. Also: those are car services. You're still taking a car to get around, only difference is you're not driving it.

I'm talking about LA public transit today, not the distant past before I was even born. I don't know the early history of LA's transit, but that doesn't make me uneducated. I'm glad to hear you guys are working on expanding your transit though

Last edited by That_One_Guy; 11-19-2016 at 01:01 AM..

Old 11-19-2016, 02:35 AM

112 posts, read 154,267 times
Lmao I open up this thread and once again laugh at the comedy of city data forum. Los Angeles is easily the second city of this great nation no disputing check the stats for you stats geeks! Why is this even a poll? My theory is that people desperately want to reassure themselves that Chicago is still second for the good ol times like in the past. Sorry guys L.A is the second city and will continue to be in our remaining lives. And the voters who voted for the other choices are clearly delusional. LOL

Old 11-19-2016, 02:48 AM

65 posts, read 55,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by That_One_Guy View Post
Honestly, I was trying to be nice and give you the benefit of the doubt.
You do realize I do like LA and I voted for LA in this poll right? I said in my first post, so I don't know why you are so triggered? Just because I mentioned that LA is spread out? I did not mean to trigger this, lol
Yes, NY is built vertically. This makes it very urban. LA is not. It is more sprawled out and has a much more suburban layout.
Yes I know that cities are manmade...
Ok, hypothetically another NYC can be built in Nebraska, but this is really unrealistic. Also I don't see the point?
Yes. Palm trees are nice. LA has much better weather and much nicer beaches than NYC. I even said myself in my first post that the west coast offers better climates. None of this has to do with urbanity though?
I agree that NYC weather sucks, lol. I talk about this a lot.

Parts of LA are definitely more walkable than others, but LA in general is an extremely unwalkable city + very sprawled.

Yes. I think public transit sucks in LA. I guess I don't have a comment for this either because we clearly just have different opinions here, probably due to the different types of cities we grew up in

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Uber and Lyft are not public transit. Also: those are car services. You're still taking a car to get around, only difference is you're not driving it.

I'm talking about LA public transit today, not the distant past before I was even born. I don't know the early history of LA's transit, but that doesn't make me uneducated. I'm glad to hear you guys are working on expanding your transit though
Public transit actually doesn't suck in L.A. It's not as accessible and is less common used but it doesn't suck and currently Measure M in L.A. is going to help expand and improve the transit system. L.A. as it is made the top 10 list for getting around without a car. https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.thr...mvno-us&espv=1

And the fact that L.A. isn't concrete jungle for a city its size actually makes it unique compared to other cities. Which is something east coast posters love to point out on CD. They're so obsessed with talking about L.A. that they will think of anything to say to try and make L.A. seem less of a city. Like making an "urbanity" thread comparing Los Angeles to PITTSBURGH . lmao!!! Give me a break.

Edit: And the fact that people are saying Chicago outranks L.A. really is delusional. LOL

Old 11-19-2016, 08:04 AM

5,888 posts, read 6,093,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by medweedfeelsgood View Post
Lmao I open up this thread and once again laugh at the comedy of city data forum. Los Angeles is easily the second city of this great nation no disputing check the stats for you stats geeks! Why is this even a poll? My theory is that people desperately want to reassure themselves that Chicago is still second for the good ol times like in the past. Sorry guys L.A is the second city and will continue to be in our remaining lives. And the voters who voted for the other choices are clearly delusional. LOL
More important and better are not the same thing.

Old 11-19-2016, 11:32 AM

1,122 posts, read 923,841 times
Quote:
Lmao Calm Down Hater.
Good God son. You've clearly spoken out of turn. Not sure if your goofy posts are due to growing up just recently or some type of more urgent situation. Homer posting a bit is fine. But not to the point where your comments become unhinged. If you understood what a city is, less had any experience in a real urban setting such as Metropolis, San Francisco, Chicago, DC, Philly or Beantown (or is it Greentown), you'd have a better impression of what an actual urban landscape + density + subterranian public transportation + street level interaction/activation + integration of walkable streets + public space, is about.
LA is about as urban as Houston: epic massive sprawl with nothing-density in it's core, save for a bunch of towers plunked down. We're not Venezuela. We're not doing Phoenix, LA, Atlanta or Ciudad Juarez where walking is not only weird, you get harrassed by cops. When you get to over 3 or 400 buildings above 150 feet, severval hundred more over 200, 300, and 400 feet low skyscrapers, with tall >600, 700 foot crowns + all surrounded by significant rowhouse neighborhoods served by a few more subways, give us a call.
As for LA once being the biggest Railroad town. The big railroad towns are, were, and will FOREVER BE Chicago, New York, Baltimore, Kansas City, Dallas, Lincoln (NE), Harrisburg, and a place you've never heard of called Vaughn, NM.
All that said. i love LA. LA is a trend setter, but not a leader of Men; Rather the playground of adult children living in hyper-reality we happen to call movie stars. i can say this because know a few of them; Malibu is my winter home.
Does this prevent LA from being the second best city in America? no. i would vote it 4th.
my personal list of the best of the best;
New York
Boston (going fully epic nowadays)
LA (supercar friendly)
San Francisco (scores near the top in nearly every category)
Chicago why 4th? (so many great things and kinda bad not so great things)
Philadelphia
Seattle
San Diego
cities deserving honorable mention; none.

Last edited by odurandina; 11-19-2016 at 11:45 AM..

Old 11-19-2016, 02:22 PM

237 posts, read 179,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odurandina View Post
Good God son. You've clearly spoken out of turn. Not sure if your goofy posts are due to growing up just recently or some type of more urgent situation. Homer posting a bit is fine. But not to the point where your comments become unhinged. If you understood what a city is, less had any experience in a real urban setting such as Metropolis, San Francisco, Chicago, DC, Philly or Beantown (or is it Greentown), you'd have a better impression of what an actual urban landscape + density + subterranian public transportation + street level interaction/activation + integration of walkable streets + public space, is about.
LA is about as urban as Houston: epic massive sprawl with nothing-density in it's core, save for a bunch of towers plunked down. We're not Venezuela. We're not doing Phoenix, LA, Atlanta or Ciudad Juarez where walking is not only weird, you get harrassed by cops. When you get to over 3 or 400 buildings above 150 feet, severval hundred more over 200, 300, and 400 feet low skyscrapers, with tall >600, 700 foot crowns + all surrounded by significant rowhouse neighborhoods served by a few more subways, give us a call.
As for LA once being the biggest Railroad town. The big railroad towns are, were, and will FOREVER BE Chicago, New York, Baltimore, Kansas City, Dallas, Lincoln (NE), Harrisburg, and a place you've never heard of called Vaughn, NM.
All that said. i love LA. LA is a trend setter, but not a leader of Men; Rather the playground of adult children living in hyper-reality we happen to call movie stars. i can say this because know a few of them; Malibu is my winter home.
Does this prevent LA from being the second best city in America? no. i would vote it 4th.
my personal list of the best of the best;
New York
Boston (going fully epic nowadays)
LA (supercar friendly)
San Francisco (scores near the top in nearly every category)
Chicago why 4th? (so many great things and kinda bad not so great things)
Philadelphia
Seattle
San Diego
cities deserving honorable mention; none.
Urban as houston lol.
How exactly?

On google maps, houston resembles far flung areas of the sfv or other la burbs, which is also true for miami, dallas etc.

Old 11-19-2016, 02:53 PM

5,291 posts, read 12,735,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FAReastcoast View Post
Above Chicago how?

Certainly not public transit, downtown core, architecture, walkability, restaurants, nightlife, museums, etc.
Which are all things most people look for when determine quality of a city.
Not true at all. If it were, Chicago wouldn't be one of the slowest growing large cities in country. And you can't say the weather is preventing people from moving there since MSP is even colder and growing at a much faster rate.

Old 11-19-2016, 02:58 PM

1,122 posts, read 923,841 times
pardon.... LA; 3rd Chicago 5th (unexplainable)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City