Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is the best?
Baltimore 45 40.91%
Cincinnati 42 38.18%
St. Louis 23 20.91%
Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2016, 07:50 PM

159 posts, read 269,674 times

Advertisements

I feel like these 3 cities have a lot in common while also remaining different. They are all near water, have some row homes and are trying to redevelop themselves after hard times. Which one of these 3 cities would you live in if given the choice and which do you think has the best chance to succeed in the future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2016, 11:51 AM

436 posts, read 521,500 times
I would put St. Louis behind Baltimore and Cincy. I guess "near the water" is a relative term. St. Louis has squandered the riverfront. Baltimore has a positive food culture with the water. Cincinnati's water front has drastically improved. Not to mention St. Louis has more violent crime per population than Baltimore or Cincy.

Old 09-30-2016, 01:11 PM

11,063 posts, read 12,456,973 times
Cincinnati is a pretty cool place.

Old 09-30-2016, 01:16 PM

1,724 posts, read 1,861,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjmars View Post
I would put St. Louis behind Baltimore and Cincy. I guess "near the water" is a relative term. St. Louis has squandered the riverfront. Baltimore has a positive food culture with the water. Cincinnati's water front has drastically improved. Not to mention St. Louis has more violent crime per population than Baltimore or Cincy.
You also just hate St. Louis in general so of course you'd put it behind Baltimore and Cincy. St. Louis hasn't squandered the riverfront of all. And St. Louis' crime is isolated to several places in the city. It's not widespread throughout the entire city and the suburbs are very safe. Also St. Louis in general has better sports than the other two cities.

Last edited by U146; 09-30-2016 at 01:26 PM..

Old 09-30-2016, 01:37 PM

10,110 posts, read 9,976,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by U146 View Post
You also just hate St. Louis in general so of course you'd put it behind Baltimore and Cincy. St. Louis hasn't squandered the riverfront of all. And St. Louis' crime is isolated to several places in the city. It's not widespread throughout the entire city and the suburbs are very safe. Also St. Louis in general has better sports than the other two cities.
Better Sports?? That's highly doubtful.

Old 09-30-2016, 05:29 PM

1,709 posts, read 2,168,300 times
St. Louis has the strongest potential out of all these cities IMO, as it has the strongest bones and history, as well as economic basis. It easily outranks Cincinnati in population, and GDP, and is more independent than Baltimore, which is increasingly playing second fiddle to DC.

That being said, Cincinnati is arguably in the best condition of these cities right now, with St. Louis and Baltimore tied for a very distant second. Inner city Cincinnati is definitely on the rise and is resurgent at a level St. Louis and Baltimore wish they could see. Additionally, Baltimore is getting increasing amounts of economic and population spillover from the other Eastern Seaboard cities. So as of right now, St. Louis is last; but if we had leadership that actually cared we could certainly surge ahead in the long run.

Old 09-30-2016, 06:26 PM

7,081 posts, read 8,947,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
Better Sports?? That's highly doubtful.
St. Louis has the Blues, so as far as sports are concerned they have one upped Cincinnati and Baltimore.

Old 09-30-2016, 06:30 PM

1,795 posts, read 1,878,536 times
I am from Cincinnati and while I am not a huge fan of my hometown sometimes the crime is not as bad as people say. I have been to the worst parts of Cincinnati and never felt unsafe. Cincinnati crime is not that bad but then again it is just my opinion. All three cities are about the same in terms of a lot of things they all all somewhat similar in nature . I would a vote tie for all three cities.

Old 09-30-2016, 06:45 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,010,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by U146 View Post
St. Louis hasn't squandered the riverfront of all.
Yes, it has... For a riverfront city with so much history, its best asset - the riverfront is woefully underused and underdeveloped...

Old 09-30-2016, 06:56 PM

2,694 posts, read 3,192,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
Yes, it has... For a riverfront city with so much history, its best asset - the riverfront is woefully underused and underdeveloped...
I honestly don't even know what St. Louis could do with it. It's just a tough body of water to deal with it. The Missouri River emptying into it north of St. Louis turns the Mississippi a rather ugly brown color, it's a an active waterway with a ton of barge traffic, it floods, and it can't really be used for pleasure when it comes to boating or kayaking. East St. Louis on the Illinois side is also an eyesore to look at from downtown.

At best the city could add some river walks, but half the time they'll either be far removed from a receding river or they'll be completely underwater. There's no way you could have the same river walk experience in St. Louis like you do in Chicago along the Chicago River though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City