Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Preference for?
the Chicago metropolis 120 29.93%
the San Francisco Bay Area 129 32.17%
the Toronto metropolis 57 14.21%
the Washington D.C. metropolis 59 14.71%
Tie 5 1.25%
None of the above 31 7.73%
Voters: 401. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2017, 07:07 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,241,799 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Facts Kill Rhetoric View Post
Actually 47 American states. Only three left to go are Hawaii, Alaska, and Minnesota. For major cities, only Minneapolis, Honolulu, Charleston (S.C.), Savannah, and Anchorage remaining (and several dozens of smaller cities still left to see). I've been to South Carolina (Columbia and Greenville) and Georgia (Atlanta) before though.

Half-true.

No doubt about it, I definitely alluded to how terrible some cities would be for me, but I was talking about from the perspective of actually having to live there. Some cities are not at all a good fit for me for a multitude of reasons, so yeah, several would be terrible for me.

Aside from one city (that city is not Chicago or San Francisco - just clarifying before you twist things), I haven't been to any others in America that I hated spending time in for a visit. Yes, I do think after seeing most of them at least once that it makes going back to see them sort of pointless. Mainly because the majority didn't knock my socks off. I had a decent to good time (not great, just good) in majority of them. Had a great time in a minority of them. So yeah, I don't want to spend my time and money going back to places that were just alright. Again, not to say that I hated the visiting experience in them, but it isn't practical to go back to places that just didn't connect. I mean time and money are finite, not like they grow on trees.

I do think it is interesting that my post didn't even mention Toronto, not even once, but that your response to me throws it in anyways. Why is that?

You realize that custom user title under my handle name says "the Triumvirate: Miami-Sydney-Melbourne". If you want to attack my taste in cities, you should probably start with these three since these are bar none, absolutely without question my favorite cities in the world. Three way tie for #1.

To you though, you'll just keep thinking Toronto is my favorite city in the world. No doubt, Toronto is among my top 15-20 favorite cities in the world. Just stop mischaracterizing it though. If I cannot live in Sydney or Miami or Melbourne, then Toronto is as great an option for me as any after that. I wouldn't hesitate to live in Toronto, that's for sure.

Trance music, occasionally dubstep or house. You should look into it.
More and more your stand on the US is it is NOT a good for for you. It gave you and family a decent life. Raised in Chicago seemed to be decent too and education. But still things you lost keep getting. angry 😠 with comments here if not Canada superior? Especially Toronto.

When I read a comment that as long as Canada rather Toronto, built high-rises that kept things urban. Did not matter if it was architecturally special. All that matters is keeping it urban and dense?
You got somewhat bitter since moving to London. Just I'm not sure but, I saw a change in you got angry at pro-Chicago posters even. But abhor any not totally positive ones for Toronto? A city I do not think you even ever lived?

Just sorry but I see a change in your perspective of the US in general.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2017, 07:47 PM

2,272 posts, read 2,220,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Sounds like you're made for the age-old tradition of moving from NYC to South Florida, just at an earlier age. I'd highly recommend it especially if you can keep one foot in NYC.
I know. Everyone from NYC and the Northeast in general does it. My grandparents did it. My great grandparents did it. There's no fighting it, lol.

Old 01-11-2017, 09:53 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,961,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
Just sorry but I see a change in your perspective of the US in general.
Perhaps.

Old 01-11-2017, 10:04 PM

37,131 posts, read 39,380,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
Chicago seems to have plans for its heaviest used L lines. With securing over a 1 Billion in Federal money plus it's own billion raised for New Stations to some tracks ( a 100 yr+ old system) and new trains just anounced and take 5 years to complete creating 6000 jobs. Wow

CTA Gets $1.1 Billion In Federal Funds For Red, Brown, Purple Lines « CBS Chicago
This is a great thing, but at the same time it's not much of an expansion so much as it is a modernization of the system to have better speeds, frequencies and ADA compliance. All of that is necessary, but it's also overdue.

Chicago certainly has among the best mass transit system in this roster, but it's not gearing itself towards expansion like the other cities are. Those other cities save for DC might have a bit of catching up, but at the rate things are going, they look to be catching up in the next few decades. There's still time for Chicago to gear itself into motion and keep ahead of the pack, but there looks to be fairly little indication it's doing so. Crossrail Chicago is probably a way to do so, and much more and for a lesser cost than any comparable expansion out there, but there's no current traction for the plan.

Old 02-15-2017, 09:33 AM

I'm not asking just solely on my behalf but asking from the perspective of a potential future parent (don't plan on having kids for several more years, but still need to know these things as soon as possible - they're important) and/or someone that will have to put down roots with a family of my own one day.

I have a general question about Toronto and how it relates to any of the three of Chicago, San Francisco, or Washington D.C. with regard to these specific categories;

1. City incentivized college savings accounts: Does the city have an implemented program that is separate of the state and/or province it is in with regard to a college savings account for child beneficiaries? From my general understanding, the city of San Francisco earlier this decade became the first one in the entirety of the United States to start its own Kindergarteners Bank Account initiative. Basically, the city provides all kindergarten aged children with a college savings account that go towards their college funds, it becomes an automatic exercise because the city has adopted the program (similar to the 529 Plan) at the city level. Parents are then able to utilize these college savings accounts by inputting deposits that go towards the future expenditure of the higher education system. Below is a link to a case study on it so that way you can familiarize yourself with the program to see if your city also offers something similar.

http://www.governing.com/blogs/view/...k-account.html

https://www.earn.org/wp-content/uplo...port-Final.pdf

2. Major healthcare programs: What are the coverage details for healthcare in Canada, even more specifically in Ontario and Toronto? What are the conditions outlined and what are some of their limitations?

3. Pharmaceutical programs: What are cost advantages to medicine in Canada than the United States. Having personal experience visiting Canada, I've noticed that the cost of medicine is MUCH lower in Canada than it is in the United States. What is the reason for this? How is the pharmaceutical industry able to profit in Canada with much lower costs or is it an entirely different system than the United States where private industry has more regulatory restrictions? Any government imposed restrictions?

4. Real Estate Market: What are the mechanisms at work in the Toronto real estate market? What drives price points there? Would making a real estate investment in Toronto be considered a wise investment decision?

5. Quality of public education: For basic primary education, what are the pros and cons to the public education system in Canada, more specifically to Ontario and the broader Toronto region?

6. Crime and safety: How much of the city would you classify as "no-go" zones? What areas should be avoided at all costs and if applicable, describe what makes that place dangerous.

Feedback and information is much appreciated. I'm thinking longterm and keeping my options open for the longterm in my future (e.g. Sydney, Melbourne, Miami, Brisbane, Vancouver, Toronto, Montreal, Barcelona, Tel-Aviv, London, Tokyo, Hong Kong, Singapore, Oslo, Stockholm, Copenhagen, Amsterdam, Manchester, Bangkok, Bangalore, Pune, Taipei, Osaka, Busan, Nagoya, Berlin, Frankfurt, Hamburg, Rhine-Ruhr, Munich, Seattle, San Diego, Portland, Austin, Denver, Tucson, New York, Paris, and maybe Perth). So just looking into factors that either interest me, that I need clarification in, or that would be of a benefit to me to have a general understanding on prior to any future relocations.

Just fishing for information, personal accounts, or clarification (if any is needed). The way I figure it, it is never too early to gain an understanding on how things work in the aforementioned factors. Thanks in advance to those that take the time to detail any of the above factors I've asked for.

Last edited by Trafalgar Law; 02-15-2017 at 10:14 AM..

Old 02-15-2017, 11:15 AM

4,087 posts, read 3,241,799 times
Seems you still feel Torontonians need to come back to the thread to promote things YOU see as superior to the states? As if their poll loss was premature and unwarranted given the factors you seek input?

* I do believe ? If you want Specifics on Canada, Ontario and Toronto in particular? Is better asked directly in their forums?

Especially since the seeking is primarily toward one nation and city on the list. The vs other cities is on these topica you want to activate here now? (as if it was not used enough for this thread and poll?) Are actually a case in a National policy and even political differences in the nation's. Cities and states its true. Can do additional forms of aid to schools and students and Universities in scholaships also.

But again on schools? You surely know the US systems in place. Purhaps you feel Canada can teach the US a better gentler Healthcare and precriptions system and how to better educate in the Public school systems the US Never rates high in But for its Universities?
Knowing the vast majority of US Public School systems in the US gain lower grades then Canada especially - virtually everywhere. With its Suburbs generally scoring higher and small town America, then it's major and even moderate sized cities.

As for crime? Again a given Toronto not having Illegal immigrants and the massive Latino influx overall. Just illegals alone are estimated as many as the WHOLE population of all Canada.

Then you surely know crime issues and statistics of US cities. So I do not see a need to compare it to Toronto? That is understood as rising but not nearly the US cities in this list.

* Again, asking SPACIFIC info on Toronto's having NO GO neighborhoods?? It is better asked in ----> their forum.

As to aid you in a choice of next city to transfer too? I say with such interest in Toronto? In threads you included it and saw it should WIN to rate higher? It's a given it should be a NEXT CITY to transfer to.

Old 06-04-2017, 01:08 PM

Last week, Washington versus San Francisco (Bryce Harper versus Hunter Strickland):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcUu5q4zGh0

In typical manner, a Chicagoan (Cubs) felt compelled to weigh in on it:

https://www.si.com/mlb/2017/05/31/ja...rickland-brawl

Old 06-04-2017, 01:54 PM

This is each of the fours current trajectory for the most recent 1 year there is documented information for.

Population Gain (or Loss) from 2015 to 2016, CSA-Level Statistic:
1. Toronto's Greater Golden Horseshoe (GGH): + 148,612
2. Greater San Francisco Bay Area (CSA): + 66,230
3. Greater Washington DC-Baltimore (CSA): + 63,678
4. Greater Chicago (CSA): -21,903

Population Gain (or Loss) from 2015 to 2016, MSA-Level Statistic:
1. Greater Toronto & Hamilton Area: + 132,018
2. Greater Washington D.C. (MSA): + 53,508
3. Greater San Francisco/Oakland (MSA): + 36,939
4. Greater Chicago (MSA): -19,570

Other Metrics:
Toronto CMA: + 118,343

I thought the population growth numbers for Chicago were distressing but there is a stronger undercurrent than just that, whatever is causing the region issues with population has also now creeped into the region's job market as well (see below).

Large American States Job Growth from April 2016 to April 2017 (1-Year Change):
- Texas: + 254,000
- California: + 240,600
- Florida: + 213,600
- Georgia: + 114,400
- New York: + 76,800
- Washington (State): + 74,000
- Michigan: + 61,200
- North Carolina: + 54,200
- Massachusetts: + 50,500
- Colorado: + 42,000
- New Jersey: + 41,800
- Virginia: + 34,700
- Ohio: + 32,800
- Illinois: + 5,400

Job Growth from April 2016 to April 2017 (1-Year Change) for Select MSAs:
- San Francisco/Oakland MSA: + 45,600
- Washington D.C. MSA: + 38,000
- San Jose MSA: + 14,400
- Chicago MSA: + 13,800

https://www.bls.gov/news.release/metro.t03.htm

You know before it didn't matter anywhere near as much because it was just the population growth that was off, the city had other means to substantiate stability like decent to high job growth, but now with the job market cratering for whatever reason, it's getting to the point where this is just messed up honestly. What is happening to the state of Illinois that is causing all of these troubling issues?

Old 06-04-2017, 02:22 PM

4,675 posts, read 7,401,948 times
Quote:
You know before it didn't matter anywhere near as much because it was just the population growth that was off, the city had other means to substantiate stability like decent to high job growth, but now with the job market cratering for whatever reason, it's getting to the point where this is just messed up honestly. What is happening to the state of Illinois that is causing all of these troubling issues?
Methinks a data hound such as yourself already knows the answer (the obvious and well-documented fiscal problems of Illinois and Chicago), but I imagine you're stacking the deck so that you can answer your own question...

Old 06-04-2017, 02:25 PM

2,694 posts, read 3,188,830 times
Quote:
Illinois hasn't had a full budget in 2 years. There's a strong chance we will not have one before the next gubernatorial election next year. This has meant that social services have been slashed across the board, universities aren't getting nearly as much state funding as they used, students aren't receiving grants from the state, school districts across the state are facing the real possibility of having to close due to lack of money, etc. Much of what the state has been paying in the interim has also been court ordered, and the state's credit rating is in free fall. It will most likely hit junk status prior to the end of this year.

As for jobs in Chicago's MSA, it is odd how there's a quite a bit of difference when they looked at March to March vs April to April in the year to year. That being said, Chicagoland still surpassed its peak employment last year that it initially hit in 2000. The city's employment is also higher than it's been in a quarter century. The issue across the metro is that the growth has been lopsided in terms of where it's happening.
http://www.chicagobusiness.com/artic...heir-2000-peak
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City