Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Preference for?
the Chicago metropolis 120 29.93%
the San Francisco Bay Area 129 32.17%
the Toronto metropolis 57 14.21%
the Washington D.C. metropolis 59 14.71%
Tie 5 1.25%
None of the above 31 7.73%
Voters: 401. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2016, 08:28 PM

93 posts, read 96,352 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
How absolutely cute.

SF doesnt have the luxury of being nondescript( sad face). Even the aerial views of The City are iconic.
A very nice Aerial shot of the San Francisco Peninsular.

So here are a couple from over Chicago Aerial from plane.
You see its urban form has plenty of neighborhood trees too. Chicago has stunning Aerials too.

Attached Thumbnails
Metropolises of North America: Chicago, San Francisco, Toronto, and Washington D.C.-downtown-chicago-plane_.jpg   Metropolises of North America: Chicago, San Francisco, Toronto, and Washington D.C.-chicago-out-plane___.jpg  

Last edited by JustGoForIt; 10-22-2016 at 08:43 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2016, 08:41 PM

37,131 posts, read 39,380,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by That_One_Guy View Post
Stupid question: does Canada even have Ocean beaches? I mean ones that are not too cold to swim in?

Forgive my ignorance if that's a really dumb question
You'll need a wetsuit for dipping into any Canadian ocean beaches unless your trying to do some sort of endurance test.

Old 10-22-2016, 09:12 PM

2,272 posts, read 2,220,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
You'll need a wetsuit for dipping into any Canadian ocean beaches unless your trying to do some sort of endurance test.
OK so maybe it wasn't that dumb of a question, lol. It was just something I thought of while reading this discussion. I don't think there is really much of a contest when it comes to climate comparing Canada to almost anywhere in the US. Especially California! Yeah SF is cooler than SoCal, but so much warmer than Canada. Canada makes NYC's winter look mild.

I don't think I could live without the beach. The beach is my life, lol.

Old 10-22-2016, 10:25 PM

456 posts, read 774,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Bizarrely enough the strait of Georgia is quite warm.
Cliff Mass Weather Blog: California Water Temperatures in the Northwest

Old 10-22-2016, 11:25 PM

984 posts, read 1,314,263 times
SF beats Tor/Chi/Was hands down in both the topographical beauty and climate.

What do Chicago and Toronto have that SF and Washington don't.............a big city vibe. They are 24 hour cities with endless urban delights. Certainly Washington has great museums and galleries due to being the capitol and that is a real asset but it is a capitol city. It's rather staid lifestyle is not helped by being such a planned city. Fun cities are ones where you never know what's lurking around the next corner and in Washington you know exactly what's around the corner.

SF has a great edge but frankly it's lost a lot of the character that made it do damn appealing in the first place. It will always be a beautiful and charming city but it's gone from "flower power" and "money is the root of all evil" to high tech, wealth accumulation centre. Certainly still a very liberal city but it is a Yuppie haven where you are now much more likely to have a stock market update in your hand than a flower in your hair.

As far as just Toronto, it has a great urban variety that few cities can match. Also in terms of just day-to-day life Toronto offers the public health, education, social services, peaceful co-existence, and social equity that no American city can offer.
The "average" person is infinitely better off in Toronto in nearly every category except climate and topography.

Old 10-23-2016, 12:10 AM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,270,554 times
Quote:
OK so maybe it wasn't that dumb of a question, lol. It was just something I thought of while reading this discussion. I don't think there is really much of a contest when it comes to climate comparing Canada to almost anywhere in the US. Especially California! Yeah SF is cooler than SoCal, but so much warmer than Canada. Canada makes NYC's winter look mild.

No, it was a dumb question....somewhat.

Warm ocean beaches....Canada.....that would be PEI,
as in Prince Edward Island.

In Canada it is particularly known for it's seemingly endless beaches,
with warmest summer water temps north of Cape Cod.

Let's just say I'd rather be swimming in PEI in summer than almost anywhere
on California's coast.

Pacific Ocean water off California is cooler than most think,
wearing a wet suit wouldn't be a bad idea.
Only near San Diego does the summer water temp average above 70F (just).

As for the crack about NYC winter being milder than anywhere in Canada,
look again, Vancouver is no SoCal but it's average winter temps are milder
than NYC....even the "lows" in Vancouver average above freezing, not so in NYC.

Old 10-23-2016, 06:03 AM

37,131 posts, read 39,380,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by benleis View Post
Bizarrely enough the strait of Georgia is quite warm.
Cliff Mass Weather Blog: California Water Temperatures in the Northwest
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMI View Post

on California's coast.

Looks like I stand corrected. The Strait of Georgia off British Columbia and Northumberland Strait off Prince Edward Island can actually reach into the 70s during the summer months--which are temps in line with and higher than most California summer water temperatures. Defintely higher than the waters off of San Francisco in the summer which are generally really chilly to swim in without a wetsuit.

Old 10-23-2016, 07:17 AM

1,635 posts, read 2,712,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Hahaha for people accustomed to the world reknowned spectacle that is Summer on the California coast, Toronto is an uncomfortable steam bath by comparison.

To each his own, I'll pass summer and winter there--absolutely no thanks. Its much easier to get used to being comfortable than it is to acclimate to cold and heat. Yuck.
This thread is about the Bay Area. Not all of Cali.

And if Toronto is a "steambath" during the summer months, then so is Chicago, Washington, Philadelphia, Detroit, Montreal, New York, etc... I guess pretty much every large city North American outside of SF is a steambath.

"Among the country's 51 largest cities, San Francisco tops the list for usually having the coldest weather each day in June, July and August. San Francisco's mean summer temperature is barely above 60 degrees Fahrenheit, whereas most major US cities average at least 70 °F (21 °C) during summer."
Coolest US Cities in Summer - Current Results

Fogust: San Francisco shivers through coldest August days in 74 years
Fogust: San Francisco shivers through coldest August days in 74 years - SFGate

And this past July...
SF shivers as July temperatures plunge below February's average
SF shivers as July temperatures plunge below February's average - SFGate

^This is just one of the reasons why I chose to visit SF in September instead July (my original plans) because I was told the September is "hotter" while July is sweater weather. lol. They might as well not call it "summer" in SF if the temperature is only going to stay in the 60s.

Meanwhile in Toronto...

Heat warnings continue, Toronto ties weather record
Heat warnings continue, Toronto ties weather record - CityNews

How many temperature records will Toronto break today?
How many temperature records will Toronto break today? - 680 NEWS

Again, give me three months of winter wonderland while also having real hot summers (just like almost every other major North American city), and I'll take it any day of the week.

Kids playing and being sprayed by water hydrants, water gun fights, jogging/biking/rollerblading along the shore in a tank top or no shirt, hot backyard barbecues, ice cream melting before you finish it, ....I'm guessing SF residents don't know too much about that summer lifestyle?

Old 10-23-2016, 07:24 AM

2,272 posts, read 2,220,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMI View Post

on California's coast.

Vancouver is not really that much warmer on average than NYC in winter. Yeah it's a little warmer, but not by much, so NYC is close to what you consider "mild", and Vancouver gets Much less sunshine as well. And the vast majority of Canada is much colder than NYC. NYC also still gets many sunny days in Winter too, which makes a huge difference

As someone that hates cold weather, I think it's kind of funny whenever people from Canada say that Vancouver is mild. It's really still pretty cold. But compared to the rest of Canada it looks mild.

I just wanted to join in on the discussion of people comparing California's climate to Canada's, because it seemed to me like a really odd comparison. To me there is no contest. Even in other parts of the US people want to move to California for the climate!

Old 10-23-2016, 07:32 AM

1,635 posts, read 2,712,349 times
Quote:

Depends where in Canada you are though. There are plenty of beaches within the Toronto area.
They may not be ocean beaches, but still beaches within the largest collection of fresh water lakes in the world.

Same can be said about Chicago, which has great beaches too and are nowhere near an ocean.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City