Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Preference for?
Buffalo 7 21.88%
Milwaukee 5 15.63%
Richmond 8 25.00%
Sacramento 12 37.50%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2016, 06:04 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,970,037 times

Advertisements

PCSAs: Buffalo versus Milwaukee versus Richmond versus Sacramento

- Buffalo ---> Toronto: 99 miles
- Milwaukee ---> Chicago: 92.6 miles
- Richmond ---> Washington, D.C.: 109 miles
- Sacramento ---> San Francisco: 87.9 miles

Factors to compare them on;

- Climate

- Topography

- Diversity

- Cultural Institutions and Performing Arts

- History

- Sporting culture, venues, teams, and events

- Nightlife

- Architecture

- City parks

- National or State parks

- Public Transportation and Infrastructure

- Food scene

Feel free to add any additional criteria points that I may have missed. Oh yeah, before I forget, feel free to use their PCSAs (MSA/CSA) for the comparison.

Also, bonus question, which of these places (i.e. Buffalo, Milwaukee, Richmond, Sacramento) have access to the best all around big city (i.e. Chicago, San Francisco, Toronto, Washington D.C.)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2016, 06:11 PM

2,868 posts, read 2,820,228 times

- Climate: Sacramento

- Topography: Sacramento

- Diversity: Sacramento

- Cultural Institutions and Performing Arts: Milwaukee

- History: Richmond

- Sporting culture, venues, teams, and events: Milwaukee

- Nightlife: Sacramento

- Architecture: Richmond

- City parks: Buffalo

- National or State parks: Sacramento

- Public Transportation and Infrastructure: Sacramento

- Food scene: Sacramento

Winner: Sacramento

Which of these places (i.e. Buffalo, Milwaukee, Richmond, Sacramento) have access to the best all around big city (i.e. Chicago, San Francisco, Toronto, Washington D.C.): Clearly Milwaukee.

Old 10-15-2016, 06:53 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,604,784 times
I would pick Sacramento based on climate and proximity to the Bay Area

Old 10-15-2016, 07:05 PM
Status: "See My Blog Entries for my Top 500 Most Important USA Cities" (set 10 days ago)

1,051 posts, read 978,865 times
Sacramento, CA
Milwaukee, WI
Buffalo, NY
Richmond, VA in that order.

Old 10-15-2016, 09:04 PM

93,350 posts, read 124,009,048 times
I think people may be underestimating Buffalo's proximity to Canada's Golden Horseshoe, which has over 7 million people in its core area and close to 9 million when including peripheral areas of that economic region. It is essential the Niagara/Hamilton and Greater Toronto areas, with maybe a couple of smaller areas added to the larger view of the region. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gold...seshoe#/search

It is essentially on par with the Bay Area in terms of population and isn't that much smaller than Chicagoland in that regard.

Old 10-15-2016, 10:48 PM

2,868 posts, read 2,820,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I think people may be underestimating Buffalo's proximity to Canada's Golden Horseshoe, which has over 7 million people in its core area and close to 9 million when including peripheral areas of that economic region. It is essential the Niagara/Hamilton and Greater Toronto areas, with maybe a couple of smaller areas added to the larger view of the region. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gold...seshoe#/search

It is essentially on par with the Bay Area in terms of population and isn't that much smaller than Chicagoland in that regard.
As RedJohn posted, they are all similar distances from larger cities:

Old 10-16-2016, 07:23 AM

93,350 posts, read 124,009,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manitopiaaa View Post
As RedJohn posted, they are all similar distances from larger cities:
I know, but I was just referring to the region that bridges Buffalo and Toronto because people may not realize how populated that area is.

Old 10-16-2016, 10:45 AM

5,826 posts, read 5,635,141 times
Location: As I tend to base proximity on a 250-mile radius, I dont ser how Richmond does not have the best access to other large (1 million-plus) metros, from the North Carolina Triad up to Philadelphia. There are two major cities (DC and Philly) within close proximity to Richmond; these other cities only have true "major" city within that radius. Even if you shorten the radius to 200 miles, only Philadelphia would be excluded, and Richmond still has the access to a larger population and larger populated areas within 200-miles...

Less-populated (but charming) cities/metros within range: Annapolis, Charlottesville, Culpeper, VA/MD Eastern Shore, Roanoke, etc...

I'm not into these kinds of things, but Richmond's proximity to outdoor recreation has to be a win here too. From the NC Outer Banks up to the Jersey Shore (and Richmonders do both and places in between), Richmond has numerous beaches to visit in 3 hours or less. Virginia Wine Country and the Shenandoahs are right to the west, the Appalachains...Richmond may not have the best mountain ranges, but not sure how Rich loses location on a pound-for-pound scale...

Climate: as I've said many times on here, climate isn't a huge factor for 'me'. Sacramento has the worst climate here, though. Everly body else is in a three-way tie...

Topography: see above...

Diversity: Sacramento smokes everybody here, it's not even close. Milwaukee has long been widely known for poor race relations, which is a different matter than diversity, but it is insightful as to the city's culture. Richmond appears to be the least diverse physically, but for the various groups within Rich, they are pretty intermingled...

Buffalo is another city that has decent diversity but is awfully segregated and also fairly known for poor race relations...I think all these cities are religiouslying, politically, and sexuality-tolerant...

Cultural Institutions and Performing Arts: Milwaukee seems to have the most vast selection of performing arts and cultural institutions. That may be directly attributable to the fact that Milwaukee is historically the largest city of the bunch...

History: While I believe Sacramento has an underrated history, it would be last on this category. Certainly in Richmond, the history of the city is a living aesthetic that reverberates citywide and is woven into the modern culture of the city; probably not unlike Philly or Boston on a smaller scale. It's really beautiful to note. That's not the case in Sac, and I think that it does exist in Buffalo but to a lesser degree. In truth, probably a three-way tie in this category...

Sports: Milwaukee or Buffalo, maybe Milwaukee in a slight edge by virtue of being the larger city...

Nightlife: this is tough to call if one hasn't experienced nightlife in all four cities. Can we call this a wash? Buffalo has ample nightlife, Richmond whips nearly all similarly-sized cities in this category, Sacramento's nightlife is plentiful but 'slightly' underwhelming (seemingly less so than 2-2.5 million cities like KC, CLT, etc). I'm sure Milwaukee's is fine. "Better", in this xase, would probably go to whoever has the most nightlife and nightlife venues per capita, instead of raw number. Anybody know?

Architecture: personally, I believe Richmond is blessed with outstanding architecture. I prefer it's to Buffalo's, I prefer both of theirs to Sacramento's by a wide margin. Milwaukee?

City Parks: Sacramento seems to win this solidly...

State and National Parks: probably Sacramento again...

Public transportation and infrastructure: seems to be a relative tie with Buffalo and Milwaukee. I'd probably lean towards Buffalo here, though. They have the transportation infrastructure of a larger city...

Food: how can you go wrong with any of these cities? Richmond food scene is outstanding but is also decidedly "new money", so Rich isn't winning this. Probably Buffalo or Milwaukee again...

Access to the best big city: up to which big city you prefer; I'm partial to Washington, so it's Richmond for me...

Winner: I'm not sure how anybody without bias could state Sacramento comes out on top. This is close, but Milwaukee or Buffalo seem to have the edge in stated criteria. Richmond and Sacramento are right behind them, though. This isn't a sweep in favor of any city or even a blowout by any city...

Old 10-16-2016, 01:31 PM

9,682 posts, read 9,402,860 times

- History: Buffalo

- Architecture: Milwaukee

Milwaukee and Sacramento are wonderful cities. I would consider Sacramento the winner followed closely by Milwaukee and then Buffalo. Buffalo's park system is outstanding.

Old 10-16-2016, 01:49 PM

5,826 posts, read 5,635,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post

- History: Buffalo

- Architecture: Milwaukee

Milwaukee and Sacramento are wonderful cities. I would consider Sacramento the winner followed closely by Milwaukee and then Buffalo. Buffalo's park system is outstanding.
Well, let's see here:

We know that you fantasize about Buffalo because you once had a mentor or music teacher or something from there, but you've actually never been to Buffalo. We know that you allegedly have a cousin at VCU but you've never been to Richmond. And this post clearly shows you haven't been to Sacramento. The only city I've never been to is Milwaukee. I was born in Sac, raised in Rich, lived relatively close to Buff for two years. Have you been to any of these cities?

I'm not surprised that Richmond gets no votes in your response...

Could you offer us an explanation as to why you think Milwaukee has the best location of these cities?

Also, what specifically makes Buffalo's history more resounding than the other cities here?

Why do you believe that Sacramento has the best nightlife in this group?

Why does Sacramento have the best dining scene of this group?

Is Sacramento just another city that you fantasize over that you've never been to?

Certainly, you could provide some insight into your opinions. Buffalo is the smallest city in this group by all criteria, but clearly has a profile of a larger city. Buffalo, Richmond, and Milwaukee are all within 450,000 population of each other. Sacramento is the largest city in this group by far and honestly probably the most underrated in a group of underrated cities, but Sac has the profile of a smaller city. I'm interested in how Sacramento pulled off nearly a clean sweep to you against three cities that are all more or less within its sane tier....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City