Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2016, 09:42 AM

8,485 posts, read 14,994,819 times

Advertisements

Very interesting how DC, Dallas, Houston, and Atlanta are having such explosive growth in their Asian populations and how Miami is anemic in comparison.

To give context to this in a purely personal point of view as to why this is happening (given I am half asian, married to asian immigrant, and have tons of Asian immigrant friends) is that most Asian immigrants come to this country seeking two things: 1.) Steady, good paying work. 2.) A big house in the suburbs to set down roots in.

It just so turns out that DC, Dallas, Houston, and Atlanta are really good at those two things and word is getting out about it. New York, LA, and San Francisco are still huge magnets, but once here people here stuff from their friends and make the move.

Miami is perceived to have a big lack of both, but especially number 1. Particularly those immigrating from India, Pakistan, and China as people from those countries are heavily involved in STEM type jobs. Also another thing DC, Dallas, Houston, and Atlanta perform strongly in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2016, 02:12 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,961,697 times
Asian-Pacific, 2015:

Latin American, 2015:

Old 11-21-2016, 02:25 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,401,569 times
How is there so many salvadoreans? They seem to vastly out number all other central Americans across North America. It seems like half of all of them live outside of El Salvador.

Old 11-22-2016, 02:40 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,477,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
How is there so many salvadoreans? They seem to vastly out number all other central Americans across North America. It seems like half of all of them live outside of El Salvador.
Salvadorans seem to make up the plurality of the Hispanics where I live. It's weird because there are many Latinos where I live but barely any Mexicans despite them being the largest Hispanic group in the US by far.

Old 11-22-2016, 06:28 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,560,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
Virtually 1/3 of Hispanics in the DC Metro area are Salvadorian. It has been right at the top with LA in regards to Salvadorian immigrants for a few decades now. El Salvador has been known to have probably the most homegrown problems than any other Central American country as well, so the percentage of natives leaving seems to be higher.

Old 11-22-2016, 10:48 AM

492 posts, read 535,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogoesthere View Post
I am not Asian so maybe my opinion doesn't matter on this but you are exactly right on this...Asian seemed to be a term to replace Oriental which is deemed racist (not arguing this, if people from the Far East think its racist then it is)...at the time I thought what about all the other Asians not from the Far East? Now Asian is used to describe everyone from the continent but India by itself is more than twice as big as all of Latin America.

Clearly there needs to be a breakdown of Far East/ Southeast Asia, Indian Subcontinent and the Asian side of the Middle East.
Yes.. There needs to be a break down for sure.. Hopefully they will incorporate this in the future censuses..

Old 11-23-2016, 08:33 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,974,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
And this is what I mean by unhealthy growth. You're shedding higher paying jobs in exchange for low paying jobs. That's really bad. Having them both grow in tandem is fine, but when you're exchanging high paying jobs for low paying jobs, you become Los Angeles which has a shockingly lower amount of white collar jobs than you would expect for a large metro of it's size.

To me a good example of a city that has healthy metro wide growth is Seattle. It doesn't have super high metro growth, but it's manageable and is in tandem with the strength of the local economy. A large portion of people migrating there are coming with good paying jobs. The region isn't growing too fast for it's own good. I think at this point, Houston is growing too fast for it's own good. It has higher growth numbers than Dallas despite having a FAR weaker local economy. It doesn't make sense.

What I think is also happening in Houston is that the illegal immigrants who do make it there are having a bunch of anchor babies to bypass the immigration system and that also pads up Houston's numbers hence why it has such a high natural increase rate.
Houston has lost some white collar jobs since the bust, but those high paying jobs aren't gone forever and some are already coming back with the many consolidations that have gone on. Not to mention the blue collar high paying jobs in the east metro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboys fan in Houston View Post
As a Houstonite, Dallas' economy is something to truly behold. Economic diversity wins in the end.
The DFW economy is great and very diverse but Houston has gotten more diverse, which is why this past bust did not hurt nearly as bad. Besides, I had no idea we were at the end.

Old 11-26-2016, 09:05 AM

242 posts, read 239,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboys fan in Houston View Post
As a Houstonite, Dallas' economy is something to truly behold. Economic diversity wins in the end.
Or does it http://opportunityurbanism.org/wp-co...ving-index.pdf

Old 11-27-2016, 10:36 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,452,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogoesthere View Post
I am not Asian so maybe my opinion doesn't matter on this but you are exactly right on this...Asian seemed to be a term to replace Oriental which is deemed racist (not arguing this, if people from the Far East think its racist then it is)...at the time I thought what about all the other Asians not from the Far East? Now Asian is used to describe everyone from the continent but India by itself is more than twice as big as all of Latin America.

Clearly there needs to be a breakdown of Far East/ Southeast Asia, Indian Subcontinent and the Asian side of the Middle East.
Honestly, when I first think of Asian, I think only of East Asians: Japanese, Korean, Taiwanese, Chinese

I know all the other countries, sub-classifications, etc., etc., both academically and personally and I really dislike census data that lumps all the varieties of Asians together. The single category "Asian/Pacific Islander" is especially misleading, because it is so broad and Filipinos, for example, don't seem the least bit Asian, and though they can speak English, they speak Tagalog with each other 80-90% of the time in the presence of English speakers, which is very alienating to co-workers who don't know that unusual language and have to listen to it all day long. (They are, despite that, a pretty friendly group. Their constant use of Tagalog, though, means their English does not improve and then they seldom get promoted to management.)

I have strong opinions based on years of experience with all of them and there are Asian groups I like and others that I prefer not to have around. The loud-talking, skyscraper-loving house-flippers who have brought their ill-gotten gains to the U.S. are my least favorite group and you know who you are, you nosy buggers.

Last edited by SFBayBoomer; 11-27-2016 at 10:45 PM..

Old 11-28-2016, 10:44 AM

226 posts, read 280,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bballniket View Post
Houston and Dallas metros seem to be nearly as Hispanic as Miami. Miami's Hispanic population is,however, more diverse.

DC and Atlanta are similarly Hispanic. Atlanta's Hispanic population is more concentrated (Gwinnett, Cobb and North Dekalb), while DC's is pretty evenly spread across all the MSA counties with at least 300k ppl. DC's hispanic population is pretty diverse

DC's suburbs have a much more pervasive influence than suburban Houston, Dallas, or Atlanta, where the Asian population is confined to smaller zones. The Asian population is suburban DC is more akin to a west coast metro area. Not only the percentages- notice how the gap between Asian Alone and Mixed for DC in 2015 is ~108k (i.e. DC MSA has 108k Asians of mixed race) , but in Houston it's only ~55k. The increased intermingling of Asians with other races is another factor that makes metro DC's Asian population more like that of a west coast metro.

The following school systems in the DC MSA (+ Howard County in the DC CSA) have the following Asian Percentages:
1. Fairfax County Public schools (186,000 students; 19.1% Asian)
2. Montgomery County Public Schools (156,000 students; 14.2% Asian)
3. Loudoun County Public Schools (79,000 students; 20.0% Asian)
4. Howard County Public Schools (53,000 students; 20.3% Asian)

These schools districts combined have a higher enrollment than the combined enrollment of Houston ISD, Dallas ISD and Fort Wort ISD; so they represent a fairly substantial chunk of the DC metro area.
Dallas County alone has 20
independent school districts plus numerous private & charter schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City