Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2016, 02:10 PM

12 posts, read 11,681 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

This is my first post on this forum. I am in my late 20's, recently married, and have job opportunities in the following cities/areas:

Phoenix, AZ
Indianapolis, IN
Staten Island, NY (I am specifically saying Staten Island as I have heard that it's quite different from the rest of NYC)
Lexington, MA (Boston suburb)

We currently live in a small New England town, and are looking to move to a bigger metro area. What are the pros and cons of each place? Would you rather live in the cities of Phoenix or Indianapolis, than out in the suburbs of Boston or on Staten Island? I don't know much about Staten Island, but have been to Boston quite a few times. Is Staten Island great to be around everything NYC has to offer? I realize that the weather in these places vary, but that's not a factor. I am interested in quality of life, access to weekend getaways, and quality housing options.

Thank you in advance for any advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2016, 05:17 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,383,197 times
I would much rather live in Phoenix than any of your other choices.

Old 12-06-2016, 05:25 PM

2,419 posts, read 4,724,520 times
Staten island is an incredibly underrated borough. It actually feels more "new york" than the rest of nyc, which feels like a grown-up adult diversity disneyland, most of nyc is weird nowadays, and not in a good way.

Old 12-06-2016, 08:51 PM

59 posts, read 87,380 times
I lived on S.I. for years and I concur, worked in Manhattan and it was always nice to get off the ferry and breathe again!

Old 12-06-2016, 09:14 PM

2,272 posts, read 2,221,929 times
Staten Island is weird because it's part of NYC but it doesn't really feel like it. The subway doesn't even go there at all. You have (free) ferry access to Manhattan though, which is great. And it's a really nice (free) ride too with a good (free) view! And it's free! lol

It's also connected to Brooklyn by the Verrazano bridge but it has a crazy toll. Like $16 or something like that.

Old 12-06-2016, 09:31 PM

3,070 posts, read 2,401,124 times
Some things I like about Indianapolis:
  • Historical architecture
  • Low cost of living
  • Beautiful nearby parks, large and small
  • Friendly people
  • It's a growing and improving city
  • Down-to-earth character
  • Light traffic
  • Lots of open space within the city

Things I don't like:
  • Crime rates (bad in some areas; hardly there in others)
  • Miswestern thunderstorms
  • It can flood here. Last summer was VERY wet, and a late season storm caused some streets and basements to flood. Fortunately, I'd chosen a house away from flood plains, had the gutters fixed, and drove carefully. Being from high, dry Colorado, I found it scary, but came out OK.

Weekend getaways:

Chicago, Louisville, Brown County (think fall color and nature), Hoosier National Forest, the dunes at Lake Michigan, Amish country to the north. Indianapolis recently added 22 new nonstop flights. In the winter, I hear ads for skiiing in Michigan.

Housing: very affordable. You can get a nice place in a decent neighborhood for $100,000.

Some things to consider when moving to a new place:
  • What other job opportunities are available if the current job ends or doesn't work out
  • How far are you from family or close friends (i.e., backup)
  • How far will your paycheck go
  • Will you fit in
  • Are there career opportunities for your spouse

Last edited by sheerbliss; 12-06-2016 at 09:47 PM..

Old 12-07-2016, 04:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C24L View Post
I would much rather live in Phoenix than any of your other choices.
C24L, why do you say that?

Old 12-07-2016, 05:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by That_One_Guy View Post
Staten Island is weird because it's part of NYC but it doesn't really feel like it. The subway doesn't even go there at all. You have (free) ferry access to Manhattan though, which is great. And it's a really nice (free) ride too with a good (free) view! And it's free! lol

It's also connected to Brooklyn by the Verrazano bridge but it has a crazy toll. Like $16 or something like that.
Yes, but Staten Island residents get a reduced fee I think and the toll is only going in one direction

Old 12-07-2016, 05:06 AM

Thank you for all the replies! Sheerbliss, you gave great advice. I am finding it difficult to decide between the more relaxed way of life in Phoenix/Indianapolis (as well as the lower cost of living) and all of the amenities and culture than NYC/Boston offer. Phoenix appeals to me because of the desert scenery (but I'm trying to figure out if I would just rather vacation there than live), and Staten Island appeals to me, well, because it's New York City

Should the Boston suburbs even be a contender in this? What would be your ranking of my four choices?

Old 12-07-2016, 07:47 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,604,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbb749 View Post
C24L, why do you say that?
I would concur with him, I would avoid the New York and Boston areas if you don't earn minimum $100k/year on your own, or $200k+ jointly if you have a spouse and/or kids.

So that leaves Phoenix and Indianapolis, and I would choose Phoenix in a heartbeat. Phoenix is a much bigger city, with some of the best weather in the country, especially late fall/winter/early spring, COL is slightly higher than national avg, but still reasonable, and in close proximity to Las Vegas and SoCal for weekend getaways, and the geography is superior, with the mountains, desert and palm trees/cacti, compared to flat boring Indianapolis which looks like everywhere else east of the Mississippi (except FL of course)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City