Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2017, 02:45 PM

6,509 posts, read 8,449,783 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by logongst View Post
No love for Columbus huh. The last 5 poster have a history of hating on the city for whatever reason. Columbus has a decent and underrated core which is very much city like. Posters really get offened when their city is compared to Columbus.
I have love for Columbus. It is the largest city in the state by far and it keeps people in Ohio that would normally look elsewhere, plus it attracts outsiders that don't want a grimy city like those in Northern and Southern Ohio. Columbus adds diversity to the urban landscape of the state.

But the city needs rail. It does have an underrated core, but that core could be better with some of the infrastructure cities that size take for granted in other regions. I'd like to see Columbus more vertical.

If I were ever to move back to Ohio, it would be Columbus. It is a similar size as the metro I'm at, and it has the growth I'm accustomed to. I always recommend it to people down here that are curious about Ohio.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2017, 12:43 AM

1,719 posts, read 2,100,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
I have love for Columbus. It is the largest city in the state by far and it keeps people in Ohio that would normally look elsewhere, plus it attracts outsiders that don't want a grimy city like those in Northern and Southern Ohio. Columbus adds diversity to the urban landscape of the state.

But the city needs rail. It does have an underrated core, but that core could be better with some of the infrastructure cities that size take for granted in other regions. I'd like to see Columbus more vertical.

If I were ever to move back to Ohio, it would be Columbus. It is a similar size as the metro I'm at, and it has the growth I'm accustomed to. I always recommend it to people down here that are curious about Ohio.
I don't know when you visited Columbus last but there is very intense development occurring in the core neighborhoods (Grandview Yard, Jeffery Park in Italian Village, The Castle in the Short North, the entire length of the University District, etc.). In terms of larger"vertical development" projects read up on Scioto peninsula redevelopment, North Market tower and Millennial tower.

The bus system is sufficient for traveling up and down the High Street corridor but admittedly pitiful if you need to travel crosstown. COTA (Central Ohio Transit Authority for those unfamiliar) is in the middle of its "NextGen" plan and identifying routes for rapid bus lines and potentially light rail.

Last edited by Buckeye614; 05-08-2017 at 01:15 AM..

Old 05-08-2017, 04:56 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,449,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye614 View Post
I don't know when you visited Columbus last but there is very intense development occurring in the core neighborhoods (Grandview Yard, Jeffery Park in Italian Village, The Castle in the Short North, the entire length of the University District, etc.). In terms of larger"vertical development" projects read up on Scioto peninsula redevelopment, North Market tower and Millennial tower.

The bus system is sufficient for traveling up and down the High Street corridor but admittedly pitiful if you need to travel crosstown. COTA (Central Ohio Transit Authority for those unfamiliar) is in the middle of its "NextGen" plan and identifying routes for rapid bus lines and potentially light rail.
I'll check those out. The last I heard Columbus was considering relying on autonomous cars. Good to hear about the NextGen plan, glad I brought it up. Looks like the 2050 plan includes a starter line.

Last edited by goofy328; 05-08-2017 at 05:05 AM..

Old 05-19-2017, 03:57 PM

2,639 posts, read 1,993,613 times
As I have mentioned, I will deem a place a city if it has a decent downtown.

(In your average U.S. city downtown may be the only real urban area-but having one is the crucial distinction).

As for public transportation, I don't embrace the fashionable status of rail. If a city has a good bus system, that is good enough.

Old 05-19-2017, 06:35 PM

2,639 posts, read 1,993,613 times
As for public transportation, consider old, iconic European cities-a few centuries ago. There was a lack of mechanized transportation. These were pedestrian cities, built for pedestrians. So I would say that walkability is a crucial aspect of urbanity.

Public transportation was added rather late in the game.

Old 06-22-2017, 10:14 PM

25 posts, read 34,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Seems like you don’t know much about Chattanooga.
There isn't much to know. Chattanooga is a small city. Been through it a million times. Within 15 minutes you're in and out.

Old 06-22-2017, 11:46 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,926,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by julsstlouis View Post
There isn't much to know. Chattanooga is a small city. Been through it a million times. Within 15 minutes you're in and out.
It may look like you are 'in and out' of Chattanooga fast due to geography, but it simply isn't possible to go from one end to the other in 15 minutes. Try 45 to an hour. On the Interstates it can be even longer.

The Metro area has about 550,000 now, that's not really small.

Old 06-23-2017, 03:12 AM

5,293 posts, read 6,059,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
It may look like you are 'in and out' of Chattanooga fast due to geography, but it simply isn't possible to go from one end to the other in 15 minutes. Try 45 to an hour. On the Interstates it can be even longer.

The Metro area has about 550,000 now, that's not really small.
That and the way the freeways are built it takes twice as long as it should! From I-59 to I-75 it can take an hour or more sometimes, and that's not even in peak hours.

Old 06-23-2017, 07:00 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,926,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by julsstlouis View Post
In addition to JMatl's response, how can you know much of anything about the built environment of the city by passing through along the interstate??? This is just as bad as people who think they're experts on a city because they checked it out on Streetview.

Old 06-23-2017, 06:17 PM

3,733 posts, read 2,887,330 times
Since the OP forgot to include Milwaukee...Milwaukee is definitely a city!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City