Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2016, 01:50 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,445,509 times

Advertisements

Why these places? Do you have family in these spots or what? Just saying because there are so many other places that I'd rather live than all of these.

I guess from your list, I'd go with "Boston burbs" because I currently live not all that far from the Boston burbs, and things aren't so bad. Lexington is super boring. But nice in a sterile kinda way. I'd say it's kinda stuffy and closed off, much like a lot of New England.

If I had to choose a Boston burb to move to, it'd be either Newton or Brookline.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2016, 02:03 PM

12 posts, read 11,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Why these places? Do you have family in these spots or what? Just saying because there are so many other places that I'd rather live than all of these.

I guess from your list, I'd go with "Boston burbs" because I currently live not all that far from the Boston burbs, and things aren't so bad. Lexington is super boring. But nice in a sterile kinda way. I'd say it's kinda stuffy and closed off, much like a lot of New England.

If I had to choose a Boston burb to move to, it'd be either Newton or Brookline.
I have job opportunities in each of the places. Thanks for your advice about Boston. What are some other places you'd rather live than these options?

Old 12-07-2016, 04:10 PM

251 posts, read 311,615 times
I have no problem with Indy. I love all the sports here, near here, as well as all the great sports and other major events that are always coming here. We are also close to Chicago ( 'nuff said ) and other great cities. As sheerbliss mentioned there are plenty of other nice things. I have a nice home that's all paid off so that helps. I also love Phoenix. I've had numerous nice Cactus League vacations there. Lots of great parks in the city and any state that has the Grand Canyon and Sedona can't be too bad. I don't know anything about Staten Island and the Boston burbs lose because that's Pats country.

Old 12-07-2016, 05:49 PM

594 posts, read 698,650 times
I spent 12 years in NYC ( Brooklyn, Bronx)
I currently live in Phoenix ( 20 years )
This pains me greatly to say this.....don't choose Phoenix. You have to earn Phoenix.
What I mean by this is you will have a better appreciation of what Arizona is by living in places that Arizona is not.
Take the NYC offer. There you will experience everything the other cities have ((besides Phoenix) weather, density, arts etc. Plus you will get it out of your system.
Everyone should live in either NYC or LA at least one time in your life.
After that you will finally understand why Phoenix has grown to the 5th largest city in America.
Don't choose Phoenix.......go through the process and EARN Phoenix.

Old 12-07-2016, 06:07 PM

3,070 posts, read 2,398,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbb749 View Post
What would be your ranking of my four choices?
I would put a lot of weight on the local job market for the kind of work you do. If you're stuck at a bad job, or laid off and can't find anything else, you'll be unhappy no matter where you are.

Financially, I'd consider how far my paycheck would go. While money won't make you happy, it will prevent a lot of misery. Indy is an undervalued and inexpensive place to live. It doesn't take much to keep up with the Joneses here because the Joneses don't tend to buy $500 handbags or granite countertops.

I don't have any experience with northeastern weather. But I lived in Denver almost all my life, and I'm familiar with the roasting hot western sun. Personally, I do more outdoor stuff here in Indianapolis because it isn't so blazing hot here--thought the humidity does bother some people. I like the mix of sunshine and rain here.

Some people call Indianapolis flat and boring, and I'm not sure why. Within the city limits, there are wooded wilderness areas, small farms, historical architecture, festivals, and independent stores and restaurants once you get off the highways. Downtown, Broadripple, Fountain Square and Mass Ave have all been nicely revitalized--lots of shopping, restaurants and things to do. Those areas are popular with people your age.

Someone brought up a good point about amenities. Do you and your spouse go out a lot or have some interest you're passionate about? Is it vital to your happiness, or do you just want occasional outings? There are quite a few events in Indy, and I'm told by people who care about such things that the food scene is improving. But restaurants do tend to close early here, and no doubt there's more night life in New York.

Old 12-07-2016, 07:08 PM

2,117 posts, read 1,738,179 times
Staten island feels more like NJ imo. I lived there for 12 years

Old 12-09-2016, 06:43 AM

12 posts, read 11,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheerbliss View Post
Someone brought up a good point about amenities. Do you and your spouse go out a lot or have some interest you're passionate about? Is it vital to your happiness, or do you just want occasional outings? There are quite a few events in Indy, and I'm told by people who care about such things that the food scene is improving. But restaurants do tend to close early here, and no doubt there's more night life in New York.
We would love to have good restaurants in the area as we love the food scene (and a variety of cuisines), but especially Mexican, Italian and burger joints. Asian food to a lesser extent. Outdoor and cultural amenities would be great too. None of these things are vital to our happiness, though.

I think Boston is out. It's between NYC, Phoenix and Indianapolis. Definitely hard to decide as there are completely differing pros and cons to each place!

Old 12-09-2016, 07:02 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,960,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbb749 View Post
We would love to have good restaurants in the area as we love the food scene (and a variety of cuisines), but especially Mexican, Italian and burger joints. Asian food to a lesser extent. Outdoor and cultural amenities would be great too. None of these things are vital to our happiness, though.

I think Boston is out. It's between NYC, Phoenix and Indianapolis. Definitely hard to decide as there are completely differing pros and cons to each place!
If you want NYC, you'll be disappointed with Staten Island. It's less connected to the city than a lot of NJ. If you're still willing to consider the Lexington job, Watertown would be a great place to live. It's diverse, walkable only about 20 min from Lexington AT RUSH HOUR, and super convenient to both Boston and Cambridge.

Old 12-09-2016, 08:44 AM

9,169 posts, read 13,247,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
If you want NYC, you'll be disappointed with Staten Island. It's less connected to the city than a lot of NJ. If you're still willing to consider the Lexington job, Watertown would be a great place to live. It's diverse, walkable only about 20 min from Lexington AT RUSH HOUR, and super convenient to both Boston and Cambridge.
Not necessarily. Having lived in Queens for 30 years, I would be perfectly fine with living on Staten Island. I would usually prefer it over overcrowded Manhattan and Brooklyn. Depends on your income and the house and neighborhood of course.

I believe the OP said he has a job offer for Staten Island. That means he can both live and work there. Manhattan becomes a place to visit which I think is more reasonable for a middle class person. Not everyone wants to be in Manhattan 24/7.

Videos | Staten Island Tourism Official Website: Visit Staten Island

Old 12-09-2016, 09:02 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,960,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
Not necessarily. Having lived in Queens for 30 years, I would be perfectly fine with living on Staten Island. I would usually prefer it over overcrowded Manhattan and Brooklyn. Depends on your income and the house and neighborhood of course.

I believe the OP said he has a job offer for Staten Island. That means he can both live and work there. Manhattan becomes a place to visit which I think is more reasonable for a middle class person. Not everyone wants to be in Manhattan 24/7.

Videos | Staten Island Tourism Official Website: Visit Staten Island
I lived in NYC for 20+ years (Manhattan, Brooklyn and Queens), myself, and I'd say that there's a huge difference between (one fare) Queens and Staten Island. The physical, geographic disconnect can not be understated. Mass transit is poor. If your personal network is in SI, it's just fine. For the typical transplant, it's a bad fit..and let's be honest; a good deal of SI stinks, as in it actually smells bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City