Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2016, 11:33 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,481,607 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
If you want NYC, you'll be disappointed with Staten Island. It's less connected to the city than a lot of NJ. If you're still willing to consider the Lexington job, Watertown would be a great place to live. It's diverse, walkable only about 20 min from Lexington AT RUSH HOUR, and super convenient to both Boston and Cambridge.
I would think North Shore Staten Island is NYC enough. It seems pretty urban as well as up and coming.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2016, 11:38 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,962,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
I would think North Shore Staten Island is NYC enough. It seems pretty urban as well as up and coming.
No subway. That's the big one, and the ferry is a PITA.

Old 12-09-2016, 11:53 AM

12 posts, read 11,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
The job offer is on the north shore! We are having a tough time deciding between living close to everything NYC is despite the higher cost of living, in beautiful desert scenery in Phoenix with plenty of outdoor opportunities and Mexican food, or in Indianapolis with the lowest cost of living and access to multiple medium to large-sized cities for weekend trips.

Old 12-09-2016, 02:26 PM

462 posts, read 550,039 times
Quote:
No subway. That's the big one, and the ferry is a PITA.

Actually it isn't bad if you work downtown, if you work midtown you have to take a subway also and coming back you have to connect. Not wonderful but not the worst thing. On weekends you can drive in or drive over the bridge to Brooklyn and pick up the subway. The OP's job will be on Staten Island so they really won't have the commuting issue.

Old 12-09-2016, 03:12 PM

2,117 posts, read 1,738,957 times
Quote:
and let's be honest; a good deal of SI stinks, as in it actually smells bad.
Where is this? I lived in quite a few different places on SI and none ever smelled bad.

Old 12-09-2016, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffydelusions View Post
Where is this? I lived in quite a few different places on SI and none ever smelled bad.
Anywhere within a few square mile of Fresh Kills.

Old 12-09-2016, 04:12 PM

59 posts, read 87,370 times
I lived in SI too and FK has been closed for years pretty funny what people post ����

Old 12-09-2016, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danny07940 View Post
I lived in SI too and FK has been closed for years pretty funny what people post ����
Interesting. I have not set foot on Staten Island sense, maybe 05. I would totally had no idea that they closed Fresh Kills and made it a park.

Old 12-09-2016, 05:37 PM

59 posts, read 87,370 times
Quote:
Interesting. I have not set foot on Staten Island sense, maybe 05. I would totally had no idea that they closed Fresh Kills and made it a park.

Yea when I lived there I was right behind the dump by the Mall in New Springville on the 4th floor of a condo the smell was horrific like rotten eggs your eyes would water. Worse, the Exxon plants in NJ would release gas at the same time the dump burned usually at night! This was in the late 80's I saw rats larger than dogs. They closed Fresh Kills in 2001 and forwarded the garbage to NJ and other states that would take it. More than you probably wanted to know!

Old 12-09-2016, 05:46 PM

2,419 posts, read 4,724,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fayettemiss. View Post
Huh?????
Structurally speaking SI is by far the most suburban part of nyc, but socio-culturally it is a throwback. It's largely lower middle class whites, with a decent amount of racial diversity. It's what the vast majority of nyc was like 30-50 years ago, before the hipsterization, and wealth stratification that occured around the turn of the century. It reminds me of NE Philly complete with a heroin problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City