Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is better to live in?
Connecticut 16 29.63%
Maine 38 70.37%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2017, 10:04 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,937,475 times

Advertisements

Which state is an overall better place to live? The reason I am asking is because I am currently unemployed in CT and looking for a job, but am also in a position in which I am able to move at anytime I want. I don't know anyone in Maine except for several Facebook friends.

Talk about things like:

Lifestyle
People
Climate/Weather
Traffic
Housing Selection
Politics
Atmosphere/Vibe
Things to Do
Scenery
Cost of Living

Do NOT talk about job opportunities, employment, etc. Assume that I have secured employment already, so it's a non-issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2017, 05:59 PM

1,726 posts, read 1,719,139 times
Maine has a much more pervasive "Old Yankee" vibe than Connecticut. A much larger share of Maine's population is of colonial British or French stock and, accordingly, Protestant by faith. Connecticut's population, on the other hand, is considerably more diverse and Roman Catholic with larger percentages of ethnic whites (in particular Italian, Irish and Polish), Hispanics (mostly Puerto Rican and Dominican) and blacks.

Although Maine is much larger than Connecticut from a geographic standpoint, it's home to far fewer residents, so it's a much less densely populated state. Settlements in Maine, especially as you move away from the coast, are lower in population and more sporadic. Every square inch of Connecticut is incorporated and developed, and rural areas are a lot less isolated. For example, the rural towns of Pomfret and Putnam in the northeastern corner of Connecticut are only 45-60 minutes to either Hartford or Providence, depending on traffic and weather conditions. In Maine, rural towns such as Caribou or Rangeley are hours away from the nearest major city -- and calling Portland a major city is somewhat of a stretch to begin with.

Because of Connecticut's fairly central location in the Northeast, it's overall proximity to major metropolitan areas in nearby states, in particular New York City, Boston, Albany, Providence and Philadelphia, is much better than even the southernmost coastal towns in Maine. Again, the major cities in Northern New England, such as Portland, Portsmouth and Manchester to name a few, are really more like large towns by Southern New England/Mid-Atlantic standards.

Coastal southern Connecticut is often defined as the northern limit of the humid subtropical climate on the East Coast, so winters in much of the state are considerably milder than what you'd experience in Maine. Years ago, when I was a kid, my family and I spent a weekend in Freeport, ME during the wintertime. It was so frigid, the car literally did not start; that never happened in Connecticut or Rhode Island. Summers in Maine are considerably cooler, too. Heat waves are extremely rare, and ocean temperatures never really warm up enough for swimming, even in late August/early September.

I would imagine that Maine is a much better state in which to live an active, outdoors-oriented lifestyle, as it's home to some excellent skiing, white-water rafting, four-wheeling, hunting, fishing, kayaking, etc. Plus, the beaches in Maine, while considerably cooler than those in Connecticut, are -- hands down -- the most gorgeous on the Eastern seaboard from a standpoint of scenery. Maine definitely blows Connecticut out of the water in terms of scenery.

The majority of people in Maine are pretty humdrum when compared to people in Connecticut, the latter of whom tend to be more materialistic and pretentious because, for the most part, Nutmeggers are more cosmopolitan and much higher income. A lot of wealthy people from Fairfield County, CT probably own summer residences in coastal towns such as Bar Harbor and Kennebunkport (the Bush family certainly does).

Because Maine has a much smaller economy, I would be nervous to accept an employment offer in Maine, even if it was an amazing offer. If -- God forbid -- you lost that job, it would probably be next to impossible to secure comparable employment. In most fields, that probably wouldn't be the case in Connecticut, especially since Hartford and Stamford have a fairly strong economies by New England standards and some parts of Connecticut are within commuting distance to either Boston, Worcester, Providence or New York City.

Last edited by Bert_from_back_East; 07-09-2017 at 06:10 PM..

Old 07-09-2017, 07:31 PM

9,909 posts, read 7,689,224 times
CT residents saying hands down Maine. Leave CT. Only reason I say stay in CT is family. I mean winter's can be a bit more hardy up North. Taxes, job market, housing market, and overcrowded areas in CT I would leave. It's a beautiful State with great people I will say. If you have the chance and spread your wings go for it.

Old 07-09-2017, 08:09 PM

Well today I deeply searched the entire state of Maine for jobs that would be suitable for me and that I'm qualified for and found absolutely nothing. Connecticut was like scraping the bucket for jobs, but at least I found a couple here and there. Even New Hampshire and Vermont had some jobs for me to apply to, but not Maine. Bummer

Old 07-09-2017, 08:38 PM

34,002 posts, read 17,035,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Well today I deeply searched the entire state of Maine for jobs that would be suitable for me and that I'm qualified for and found absolutely nothing. Connecticut was like scraping the bucket for jobs, but at least I found a couple here and there. Even New Hampshire and Vermont had some jobs for me to apply to, but not Maine. Bummer
Simple: Work for your parents company. Can you handle bookkeeping?

Old 07-09-2017, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Simple: Work for your parents company. Can you handle bookkeeping?
Well, I also applied to numerous jobs in Massachusetts...there are TONS there.

Of course I can handle bookkeeping. It's easy. But it would only hold me over for so long. My parents will probably retire in 6-8 years. Then what?? Who will continue to pay me? I don't have much confidence that their business will be a going concern after they retire. And what employer would want to hire me by then? We all know that working for parents is not "real" work. At least not the work that they would be giving me. It's stupid stuff like recording rent payments, paying bills, reading through mail, etc. Not a real career builder.

Nonetheless, I went on an application spree this weekend for tax and general accounting jobs all over New England.

Old 07-09-2017, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Well, I also applied to numerous jobs in Massachusetts...there are TONS there.

Of course I can handle bookkeeping. It's easy. But it would only hold me over for so long. My parents will probably retire in 6-8 years. Then what?? Who will continue to pay me? I don't have much confidence that their business will be a going concern after they retire. And what employer would want to hire me by then? We all know that working for parents is not "real" work. At least not the work that they would be giving me. It's stupid stuff like recording rent payments, paying bills, reading through mail, etc. Not a real career builder.

Nonetheless, I went on an application spree this weekend for tax and general accounting jobs all over New England.
Anything answered this weekend due to summer vacations is not likely filled until Q4. Offices are one third empty, at minimum, the next 6 weeks.

Old 07-09-2017, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Anything answered this weekend due to summer vacations is not likely filled until Q4. Offices are one third empty, at minimum, the next 6 weeks.
Oh well. I'm even taking vacations myself. This week I plan to go to Maine from Wed - Sat. Then two weeks after that I will be in FL with parents from Tue - Sat. It's prime vacation time for everyone.

Old 07-10-2017, 02:12 AM

Quote:

Right now, it seems to be the only true option. The first 18 weeks of unemployment- in this latest round for you-have led to just 1 face to face interview, which was a fiasco. The likelihood of finding something by the start of September is hardly high.

At least your parents are offering you a lifeline. Yes, it likely ends when they retire or sell the business, but it extends the years you got to work in accounting versus the alternatives that exist as of now.

Old 07-10-2017, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Right now, it seems to be the only true option. The first 18 weeks of unemployment- in this latest round for you-have led to just 1 face to face interview, which was a fiasco. The likelihood of finding something by the start of September is hardly high.

At least your parents are offering you a lifeline. Yes, it likely ends when they retire or sell the business, but it extends the years you got to work in accounting versus the alternatives that exist as of now.
We'll see what happens over these last 8 weeks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City