Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is better to live in?
Connecticut 16 29.63%
Maine 38 70.37%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2017, 01:51 PM

34 posts, read 26,451 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Which state is an overall better place to live? The reason I am asking is because I am currently unemployed in CT and looking for a job, but am also in a position in which I am able to move at anytime I want. I don't know anyone in Maine except for several Facebook friends.

Talk about things like:

Lifestyle
People
Climate/Weather
Traffic
Housing Selection
Politics
Atmosphere/Vibe
Things to Do
Scenery
Cost of Living

Do NOT talk about job opportunities, employment, etc. Assume that I have secured employment already, so it's a non-issue.
I spent several of my teenage years in CT and spent a summer in Portland, ME in my early 20s. I think I can weigh in.

I will mention employment since you talked about it your later posts. Even though CT is no longer the economic powerhouse it was in the mid-80s, there are more financial jobs in the Hartford area alone than there are in the whole state of ME. Hartford is still New England's "second city" economically and will likely remain in that position for years to come. I would keep that in mind.

Lifestyle: This depends on the type of person you are and your interests.
People: ME. People in both states are friendly but folks seemed a tad more friendly and open in ME. Social status did not seem as important in ME as it was in CT.
Climate/Weather: CT. Summers in ME are hard to beat but the more mild CT winters gives CT the edge for me. Keep in mind that ME is a large state and its climate varies from cold to very cold depending where you are. Winters in Portland are not too bad. Annual snowfall in Portland and Hartford is around 60 and 40 inches respectively.
Traffic: ME. Not even close.
Housing Selection: Tie. There is ample availability of housing in both states right now.
Politics: Depends on where your political leanings are. CT seems a little more blue and ME seems a little more red.
Atmosphere/Vibe: Again, this depends on you. It varies in both states. CT has the larger more cosmopolitan diverse urban areas. Portland is a lovely seaport city with a solid New England feel. Portland and Augusta have very low crime in comparison to Hartford, New Haven, etc... ME could seem a bit more remote in comparison to CT.
Things to Do: Tie. Plenty to do in both states. There may be more opportunities for winter activities in ME though.
Scenery: Possibly ME. Both states are very scenic IMO but ME's seacoast may be the difference. Portland is stunning to me.
Cost of Living: ME. Taxes and home prices are lower in ME.

Last edited by T.Biddle; 12-20-2017 at 02:48 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City