Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2017, 05:00 PM

3 posts, read 4,551 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for advice as to what place has the best outdoor life, great schools, cleaner air, health conscience people, and a fun active culture. I'm married with a 10 yr old child. We currently live in Surprise, AZ, NW of Phoenix, and want to live where the local day to day is interesting and the weather doesn't keep us indoors during the summer. We own a mortgage free 968 sq ft townhouse is Carlsbad, CA, (20 minutes north of San Diego), and vacation there often. We're set to move into it this summer, but we haven't been able to get work there. My wife works for the AZ school district teaching 4th grade and it's been difficult to find teaching jobs in North San Diego County, even though she has a CA cleared credential. We thought of selling our townhouse while the market is up and just move to GA, but if I do that, I'll probably never afford to live in the San Diego area again. At least in GA we can afford a sizable house in a good area! Are there many tornadoes in Cobb and Fulton County? How are the schools? Is it difficult to stay active outdoors year round, having high humidity, bugs, and lots of rain or seasonal tornadoes? I know the Atlanta area has a lot to offer, but we've never lived in a southern culture and wonder how friendly people are. We're conservatives and feel politically aligned in GA. There seems to be more teaching jobs available too. Cobb County School District is having a job fare next month, so we're looking into that and might fly out there to tour the area. My research says the following areas are best for families; East Cobb, Alpharetta, and John's Creek. Those areas have great schools, close to shopping, farmers markets, parks, hiking trails, and fishing. What cities would you suggest are better? Does Johns Creek have the better schools and lower crime?
OK, so in the event we get work in CA before GA, what are your thoughts and advise? Remember we have a mortgage free townhouse in CA and don't mind living small. We have family in Northern CA and VA, so both areas we'd be alone starting out, but family is only a 5-7 hour drive.

Last edited by Baycliff; 02-13-2017 at 05:28 PM.. Reason: Word Correction
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2017, 06:22 PM

3 posts, read 4,114 times
I have lived in Atlanta for 4 years, moved from New England. There are hardly any tornados here- we are east of hurricane alley. That being said, maybe 1 a year and the worst damage is in mobile homes areas. Northern suburbs of Atlanta have some fantastic public schools, and are conservative areas. Things are quite expensive in the city, but in the suburbs it can be more affordable. People are active outside from September through mid June. After that it is too humid and people vacate for the summer. Or go north to Blue Ridge Mountains, Cashiers, etc. It gets in the 90's but rarely above that. It is really friendly here- a striking difference from New England. No one beeps their horn, its amazing. East Cobb, Roswell, Alpharetta, Johns Creek, Milton, Dunwoody, and others in that general area are all great for families. Look up school ratings, both high school and elementary school on one of those national sites. In general, the further from the city, the lower the crime rate, and more affordable homes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City