Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Detroit, Memphis, Baltimore
Detroit 38 27.74%
Memphis 18 13.14%
Baltimore 81 59.12%
Voters: 137. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2017, 09:17 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,963,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
For Detroit, there has been huge white flight into the suburbs, so city-proper there may not be too many. There is Greektown but I don't know how Greek it actually is. Still definitely some remaining Polish and Italian enclaves but not huge numbers. Nearby Dearborn is obviously the most well-known enclave with one of the largest Arab American populations in the country; over 30% Arab American (close to 50,000) and diverse groups (Chaldean/ Catholic Iraqis, Lebanese, Persians, etc); tons of Arab American restaurants, bakeries, churches, mosques, stores/signs in Arabic, etc. It's not city-proper, but definitely the largest enclave in the region. Also, some of the Detroit suburbs have Polish and Italian enclaves, but I don't remember which ones off hand.

Don't know about Memphis.
Memphis isn't as cosmopolitan as Detroit or Baltimore.

Memphis is more inline with being an overgrown small town in the delta.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2017, 11:00 PM

3,671 posts, read 5,884,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
For Detroit, there has been huge white flight into the suburbs, so city-proper there may not be too many. There is Greektown but I don't know how Greek it actually is. Still definitely some remaining Polish and Italian enclaves but not huge numbers. Nearby Dearborn is obviously the most well-known enclave with one of the largest Arab American populations in the country; over 30% Arab American (close to 50,000) and diverse groups (Chaldean/ Catholic Iraqis, Lebanese, Persians, etc); tons of Arab American restaurants, bakeries, churches, mosques, stores/signs in Arabic, etc. It's not city-proper, but definitely the largest enclave in the region. Also, some of the Detroit suburbs have Polish and Italian enclaves, but I don't remember which ones off hand.

Don't know about Memphis.
Hamtramck is the polish area. There is also southwest Detroit which is mostly Latino's. The far edges of the Northeast side has a bit of a Hmong community there. Parts of Oakland county like Novi is where you find the Asians. And of course Windsor is where the Canadians live lol. Downtown, Midtown, and Ann Arbor are more of the melting pots where you find every race.

Old 04-10-2017, 11:21 PM

1,996 posts, read 3,159,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MS313 View Post
Hamtramck is the polish area. There is also southwest Detroit which is mostly Latino's. The far edges of the Northeast side has a bit of a Hmong community there. Parts of Oakland county like Novi is where you find the Asians. And of course Windsor is where the Canadians live lol. Downtown, Midtown, and Ann Arbor are more of the melting pots where you find every race.
Hamtramck, a "suburb" completely surrounded by the city of Detroit, was predominately. There is still a good deal of Polish, as well as African-Americans and white hipsters, but its population is primarily composed of immigrants from countries like Iraq, Yemen, Bangladesh, and Bosnia.

Old 04-12-2017, 05:26 AM

2,995 posts, read 3,099,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post

Memphis is culturally trapped in it's Mid-South bubble. That wears on you quickly, the whole Memphis is the center of everything attitudes. At least Baltimore has more ethnic diversity (something I prefer). Memphis is also dirty and has a very boring downtown. Peabody Place took away some of that vibrancy when it closed. In fact, there is nearly nothing worth moving to Memphis for if you aren't tied to the city or just in love with it. The economy, jobs, amenities, education, location, weather, nearly everything is better in similarly-sized cities...

And that's a shame because Memphis will always have a piece of my heart. But other cities that were once thought of as lesser cities have passed it by, and will continue to do so if Memphis doesn't regroup itself into a more well-rounded city...
YES!!! This is SO TRUE!!! This is the most honest and objective assessment of Memphis I have EVER seen posted on City-Data, and I don't see how anyone who is truly familiar with Memphis can deny it. Especially the bolded part. You, my friend, GET IT!!!! You should post this on the Memphis (Boosters) Forum.

Last edited by NoClueWho; 04-12-2017 at 06:48 AM..

Old 04-12-2017, 11:22 AM

5,819 posts, read 5,622,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentallect View Post
YES!!! This is SO TRUE!!! This is the most honest and objective assessment of Memphis I have EVER seen posted on City-Data, and I don't see how anyone who is truly familiar with Memphis can deny it. Especially the bolded part. You, my friend, GET IT!!!! You should post this on the Memphis (Boosters) Forum.
Man listen, I'm sure I have a greater appreciation for Memphis than the average poster. It is a city, however, that has been losing esteem for decades now, and is mired in social economic, and political turmoil. This isnt to say there aren't redeeming qualities about Memphis (there are), but it isn't the same city it once was, and there is no justifiable reason to believe Memphis will pick itself up any time soon. I once said, a few years ago on here, that Memphis is the "Detroit of the South". That's not a stretch and for Memphis it may get worse before it gets better...

Old 04-12-2017, 11:24 AM

2,593 posts, read 4,653,653 times
Default Boredatwork

Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
Man listen, I'm sure I have a greater appreciation for Memphis than the average poster. It is a city, however, that has been losing esteem for decades now, and is mired in social economic, and political turmoil. This isnt to say there aren't redeeming qualities about Memphis (there are), but it isn't the same city it once was, and there is no justifiable reason to believe Memphis will pick itself up any time soon. I once said, a few years ago on here, that Memphis is the "Detroit of the South". That's not a stretch and for Memphis it may get worse before it gets better...

Well crime is one the rise in Memphis

Old 04-12-2017, 11:31 PM

1,996 posts, read 3,159,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentallect View Post
It still has history, good architecture, and a lot more character than other Sunbelt cities. Plus, it doesn't get cold, which matters a lot to more and more Americans. The weather alone can draw people to Memphis (I know it probably gets humid in the summer, but so does Miami and Atlanta).

Old 04-13-2017, 12:49 AM

7,070 posts, read 16,737,144 times
Baltimore....being near DC is icing on the cake!

Old 04-13-2017, 08:41 AM

226 posts, read 249,082 times
After reading some of the back-issues/threads on the Memphis forum, it seems that they have 3 or 4 constantly overly-positive boosters that attempt to discredit any observation of Memphis that doesn't paint a rosy picture. It's very odd. Maybe they're paid by the chamber? Memphis is a big, small town in many respects. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but it's not some kind of leading proactive southern city - not yet.

Old 04-13-2017, 08:43 AM

226 posts, read 249,082 times
In COL, I would say Memphis, but culturally speaking, maybe Baltimore simply because of its access to the DC and that corridor..in education, amenities, travel, economically.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City