Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which City do you think is more open to Interracial Dating
Nashville, TN. 10 22.22%
Atlanta, GA. 35 77.78%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2017, 11:26 AM

2,817 posts, read 2,283,271 times

Advertisements

I haven't spent enough time in either city, so I can't offer an informed opinion. But, I wonder how much of the perceived difference is due to the fact that Atlanta has a more diverse population. When I'm in say Maine or Portland almost everyone is white and that's just the way it is. Being white, I don't really even notice it. But, when you go to a place like DC or Atlanta and you go to restaurants or bars, you tend to notice groups of white tables and groups of black tables. The segregation is just more apparent, even if those places aren't inherently more racist.

Obviously Nashville and Atlanta aren't as demographically different as Atlanta and Portland. But is isn't as much of a Black mecca, so you aren't as likely to see lots of exclusively black groups in proximity to lots of exclusively white groups. Beyond the black white divide, Atlanta has more Asian immigrant enclaves, where people can self-segrgate. Where as in Nashville there maybe more mixing by simple necessity given the immigrant communities aren't as large.

Old 04-14-2017, 01:14 PM

2,426 posts, read 2,476,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdivola View Post
I haven't spent enough time in either city, so I can't offer an informed opinion. But, I wonder how much of the perceived difference is due to the fact that Atlanta has a more diverse population. When I'm in say Maine or Portland almost everyone is white and that's just the way it is. Being white, I don't really even notice it. But, when you go to a place like DC or Atlanta and you go to restaurants or bars, you tend to notice groups of white tables and groups of black tables. The segregation is just more apparent, even if those places aren't inherently more racist.

Obviously Nashville and Atlanta aren't as demographically different as Atlanta and Portland. But is isn't as much of a Black mecca, so you aren't as likely to see lots of exclusively black groups in proximity to lots of exclusively white groups. Beyond the black white divide, Atlanta has more Asian immigrant enclaves, where people can self-segrgate. Where as in Nashville there maybe more mixing by simple necessity given the immigrant communities aren't as large.
Now I can see some truth to some of that possibly.. Also depends on what part of Metro Atlanta vs. Metro Nashville as well.. If you go to the Majority White Northern Suburbs like N. Fulton, Cherokee, Forsyth County or even Coweta County on the south side its just the same as some of the White outlaying Suburbs of Nashville. Gwinnett and Cobb are more mixed bags. Only really in S Fulton, DeKalb and mainly Clayton is where the majority large Populations of Blacks are. Same for Davidson Co, TN., that's where the large Concentration of Blacks and immigrants would lye. We still have to take in to account, as much as people think of Atl being a black mecca, the Metro Area is still majority white hands down but I can see your point. Nashville does have a pretty healthy immigrant population, believe it or not.. Was shocked by that as well.. Way underrated City. It could also be that Nashville-Davidson County is a Big Consolidated-City County Area unlike Atlanta and a Majority of the diversity are all compiled in one County Mainly. Blacks/Whites/Hispanics/Immigrants/every one all pilled in together while Atlanta is more spread out over several Counties. Not that Nashville Suburbs don't have some diversity but they are Majority White... Nashville even has edge cities areas similar to Dunwoody/Sandy Springs, "Cool Springs" for example...

Old 04-17-2017, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oobanks View Post
You might want to Visit Nashville Today, not what you think it is and isn't even a City based off of Country Music which so many people may seem to believe, more music though.. Seems to me they use Country Music as an advantage/Theme kinda, but you will be selling yourself Short to think that's what Nashville is all about.. lol, Smh Big Time and making your vote and determination based off of that. I once thought that which most of our people of Color like myself end up Big time Fooled until I started visiting quite often, plenty of Blacks Too, actually many races and pretty diverse. It's funny because Ton's of Blacks avoid places like Nashville at first due to Stereotypes like this until they go and then there mind is blown. Nashville is already pretty popular but I could only imagine if even more blacks start visiting Nashville and see what it really has to offer some minds will Change... That's why I like these type of Threads, most people will Automatically give Atlanta the Edge / Win in this because they think Nashville is Country Music City /Honky Tonk Town off the back because of the Country Music Affiliation when many have never been or avoid these places as a visiting destination because of the Stereotypes. Most of us Blacks will jump to Cities like Atlanta because of the Black Mecca theme when there is so much more out there, even better quality of life in some cases, Job Markets and yes our people of Color in large numbers in Cities you would never imagine. I do think TSU is what help Ton's of Blacks, and even Educated Blacks Discover Nashville in most Cases.

Nashville Guide - SoulOfAmerica

Old 04-17-2017, 08:37 AM

9,680 posts, read 9,390,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oobanks View Post
This website is very outdated, as there are many other places and activities left out.

Old 04-17-2017, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
This website is very outdated, as there are many other places and activities left out.

Yeah, I saw that.. Just wanted to give some insight to others or those that might not know that we do Exist in Large numbers in Nashville...

Old 06-06-2017, 09:56 AM

149 posts, read 232,144 times
I don't know, as a black man who date white women, I felt weird - almost guilty - in Atlanta.

Made me look to Seattle. lol.

You have a city with so many single black women looking for love, and you're walking around with a white woman ...

...just felt a bit .... wrong. Not passing judgement on anyone else. Just speaking for myself.

Old 06-07-2017, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhichWayDoIGo View Post
I don't know, as a black man who date white women, I felt weird - almost guilty - in Atlanta.

Made me look to Seattle. lol.

You have a city with so many single black women looking for love, and you're walking around with a white woman ...

...just felt a bit .... wrong. Not passing judgement on anyone else. Just speaking for myself.

Lol, That's funny, but I can see your point... I love all women as well, but in a place like Atlanta, for some reason it does feel weird and couldn't Agree with you more!!! I don't know if it's because your in the Deep, Deep south or what you said above but you feel like your being judged by Whites and Blacks here when you even attempt to date out side your race. I think the poll above leaned and is based on assumption due to the size of metro Atlanta or what people would believe to be or expect Atlanta to be over Nashville but definitely not factual.. Of course it's all opinion

Old 06-10-2017, 12:04 PM

4 posts, read 11,044 times
I have a Latino and an Asian friend (both have lived in ATL and Nashville) that told me they found it quite easy to date women of other minority groups in Atlanta but often found that white women in the city opted to go for even lower quality white guys (overweight, poorly spoken, and not much of a career) as opposed to the typical yuppie whitewashed ethnic guy working a white collar job. For reference, my friends were born in America, well spoken, tall, in great shape, and very much in touch with the trends while making good money.

For the most part, and this was like 8 years ago, they said that it was quite out of the norm to see a good looking white woman with anything other than a white or in some cases a black guy (usually a football player). The good thing is that they found dating ethnic women and black women was quite doable in Atlanta. My Latino friend was originally from California and found that he had an easy time dating Asian girls in Georgia compared to California, he dated a beautiful mixed race girl too and no one cared.

My Asian friend found that dating latinas, black women, and mixed race women was also a lot easier for him, he was dating quality girls from these groups.

Both of my friends moved to Nashville and are dating good looking white women now.

I am talking about women on the same level as a Heather Graham, hot blonde southern girls. Not sure of how things are like now in Atlanta but from what they say, a decade ago they would have received a lot of unwelcome scrutiny for it and they never knew of such couples in the A town.

Given that Atlanta has seen an influx of transplants and people from across the country, is this less of a case now compared to a decade ago?

Are you more likely to see young and attractive white women dating ethnic guys in Atlanta now compared to a decade back when it would have been quite taboo?

I found that whenever I went to Charleston, Tallahassee, Little Rock, and Nashville I almost always found assimilated Hispanic, Indian, Middle Eastern, and Asian men dating good looking white women but I heard it isn't exactly the case in Atlanta. Perhaps the influx of transplants has made it more common, who knows.

Old 06-10-2017, 12:54 PM

108 posts, read 143,343 times
As a middle eastern guy I actually feel that interracial dating is hard in Nashville. But again, iv lived in the Bay Area for 11 years so I'm used to a different standard.

Old 06-24-2017, 08:42 PM

1 posts, read 4,454 times
Default Atlanta

I am a white male in Atlanta. My wife and I got divorced two years ago and she has already remarried a black man who is now has primary custody of my kids with my ex. They are accepted in the neighborhood and are involved in the school and community with no problems as far as I can tell. I have had a harder time dealing with it than the community has. But I have to admit he is a pretty impressive man.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City