Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is better?
Tucson 26 63.41%
Memphis 15 36.59%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2017, 11:32 PM

9,685 posts, read 9,406,200 times

Advertisements

Which city is better?

Economy

Schools

People

Job Growth

Future outlook

Crime

Culture

Activities

Shopping

Development

Old 04-15-2017, 08:47 AM

4,401 posts, read 4,297,223 times
Finally a poll Memphis might actually be able to win.

Old 04-15-2017, 10:50 AM
PDF

11,396 posts, read 13,425,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
Finally a poll Memphis might actually be able to win.
I don't know. I ultimately voted for Tucson but it was a toss up really. Both are underrated cities in my opinion. Memphis has the better nightlife, and although I hate humidity I'd put up with that better than the dry Arizona heat.

Tucson is on more of an upswing and I think has more potential. I think anyone choosing Memphis out of these two cities would have to be content with things staying the way they are. That's not a bad thing, but just the reality.

I think both are good cities.

Old 04-15-2017, 12:02 PM

4,222 posts, read 3,737,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
I don't know. I ultimately voted for Tucson but it was a toss up really. Both are underrated cities in my opinion. Memphis has the better nightlife, and although I hate humidity I'd put up with that better than the dry Arizona heat.

Tucson is on more of an upswing and I think has more potential. I think anyone choosing Memphis out of these two cities would have to be content with things staying the way they are. That's not a bad thing, but just the reality.

I think both are good cities.
Just wondering, what about Tucson makes you think it's on the upswing? I've lived in Phoenix for a long time and Tucson always kind of remains the same. It's a much older city then Phoenix and people there don't seem to want it to change or grow. They will not add new regional freeways, the university remains the main economic engine of the town, and the growth rate has been pretty stagnant for the last 20-40 years, it grows a bit but not much.

I think Memphis may be similar in terms of growth, does not seem to be a booming area but I know much less about it. Other then a few quick stops I haven't spent much time there or looked into it much.

Old 04-15-2017, 06:54 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,972,199 times
I'll take Tucson without a second thought. One of my favorites in North America.

I've been to Memphis twice, largely as just a pass through but we took time out to see the city both times. I haven't seen as broken down or distraught suburbs ever as I did on the Arkansas side of the metropolitan area surrounding Memphis. That really stuck out to me and it didn't feel safe making stops there either. Very odd place. Very depressing and broken down area. I did get to see the downtown area of Memphis and the core areas, of course Beale Street. Those areas were quirky but overall just okay. I'll give Memphis a passable grade, I didn't hate being there at least. It also definitely was a distinct enough city too, which is neither good or bad in this case, just sort of is.

Would still take Tucson, easily. Been there and stayed there numerous times. Have gotten to know the area very well. Really like it, like the desert southwest in general but more so Tucson and its sister cities Albuquerque, El Paso, and Las Vegas.

Old 04-15-2017, 08:45 PM

5,299 posts, read 6,070,430 times
I'll take Memphis for the built environment, and greenery. Even with a flagship university Tucson can get economic footings out of mediocrity for some reason(not at all coincidental considering that it has a bat crap crazy NIMBY resident base). Say what you want about Memphis, it doesn't lack in character, and definitely has a better core. Tucson has all the ingredients to be a superstar, yet it doesn't even post a growth rate of some Midwestern cities.

Last edited by mjlo; 04-15-2017 at 09:08 PM..

Old 04-15-2017, 09:22 PM
_OT

2,183 posts, read 2,421,159 times
Economy: Memphis
Schools: Tucson
People: Memphis
Job Growth: Memphis
Future outlook: Memphis
Crime: Tucson
Culture: Memphis
Activities: Tucson
Shopping: Tucson
Development: Memphis

Knew a couple of individuals from Tucson, and most of the time, the things said about the city wasn't always pretty.

Old 04-15-2017, 09:48 PM
PDF

11,396 posts, read 13,425,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
Just wondering, what about Tucson makes you think it's on the upswing? I've lived in Phoenix for a long time and Tucson always kind of remains the same. It's a much older city then Phoenix and people there don't seem to want it to change or grow. They will not add new regional freeways, the university remains the main economic engine of the town, and the growth rate has been pretty stagnant for the last 20-40 years, it grows a bit but not much.

I think Memphis may be similar in terms of growth, does not seem to be a booming area but I know much less about it. Other then a few quick stops I haven't spent much time there or looked into it much.
I don't have any factual evidence/statistics to back up my statement, that's just the impression I got from Tucson. Well that sucks if it's stagnant as well.

Old 04-15-2017, 09:51 PM

17,804 posts, read 13,703,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
Tucson has most certainly grown a bunch in the last 20-40 years. In the last 40 years Tucson has almost doubled in size with most of the growth happening in the 70s and 80s. Since then most of the growth has happened in the part of Tucson that is actually in the county but not in the city limits. In the last 20 years the county has grown by one third from 667K to about a million.

The freeway issues always stall because Tucsonans do not want to trash the beautiful and ecologically fragile desert environment in the Catalina foothills. Never mind the exclusive residential areas located there. And that is really the only area where a freeway makes any sense.

I would say that the mentality in Tucson is that the core of the city wants to hold onto it's University town identity. The outlying suburban areas are tied into the "resort" type mentality. Neither mind set is a driver toward economic growth.

As a university town and as a resort town Tucson is way better than Memphis. As a tourist town I'd certainly give Memphis the nod.

Old 04-15-2017, 10:35 PM

67 posts, read 224,428 times
Tucsonian here. We moved to the area 8 years ago. To say it hasn't grown...well, that's not entirely true. Back when we came here, downtown was just a sad, rundown bunch of buildings surrounded by homeless camps. It was completely dead, even though it was so close to the University. (We live in the 'burbs.)

Downtown has made a HUGE turnaround; it is much nicer with plenty of bars and restaurants. We don't have as many "big" employers, but I'm hoping more companies follow Caterpillar Inc. and relocate here. Our town council does need to get its head out of its butt and lure employers.

The highway thing was decided long ago, from what I understand in the 70s- though it could have been 80s. I'm not for sure. At this point, it isn't local residents "dragging" their feet; there's just really no way to put the highway in. Which residences/businesses would get displaced?

Tucson is slowly but surely clawing its way back. You'd have to visit; either you like it or you don't. It has grown on me and I wouldn't mind moving the city + my life here closer to "back home" to be more near my family. There are things I'd change but overall, it has treated my family well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City