Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2017, 03:19 PM

4,079 posts, read 10,392,514 times

Advertisements

These cities have two different feels, Philly of course is more Urban to the core and Atlanta is a smaller city core with a lot of surrounding suburbs.

Philly for sports although I'm not a fan of the sports complex in south Philly, it just doesn't fit in with the rest of the city imo

Tie for music scene, Atlanta has more mainstream music coming from that area and Philly has a better underground scene

Cost of Living would go to Atlanta especially in the suburbs of Atlanta where your money would go much further than in Philly

Philly wins on the public transportation side

"Surrounding metro prices" Im assuming you mean cost of living for suburban areas? I'd still go with Atlanta

Culture....depends on the person, I felt that people from Philly were very approachable and down to earth, and folks from Atlanta showed southern hospitality

Black community- Tie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2017, 05:56 PM

9 posts, read 23,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noid_1985 View Post
These cities have two different feels, Philly of course is more Urban to the core and Atlanta is a smaller city core with a lot of surrounding suburbs.

Philly for sports although I'm not a fan of the sports complex in south Philly, it just doesn't fit in with the rest of the city imo

Tie for music scene, Atlanta has more mainstream music coming from that area and Philly has a better underground scene

Cost of Living would go to Atlanta especially in the suburbs of Atlanta where your money would go much further than in Philly

Philly wins on the public transportation side

"Surrounding metro prices" Im assuming you mean cost of living for suburban areas? I'd still go with Atlanta

Culture....depends on the person, I felt that people from Philly were very approachable and down to earth, and folks from Atlanta showed southern hospitality

Black community- Tie
I like this, COL is very important for me. I'm checking out ATL tomorrow, and if I can ditch my car for the most part I think I'll try out the city for longer than a week or two.

Old 04-16-2017, 06:00 PM

3,332 posts, read 3,694,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikelsphere View Post
I like this, COL is very important for me. I'm checking out ATL tomorrow, and if I can ditch my car for the most part I think I'll try out the city for longer than a week or two.
You will not be able to ditch the car in Atlanta. If you plan accordingly you can live and work near a Marta line/stop and keep in mind it doesnt run frequently outside of work/rush hour. Most things in Atlanta is a drive away. I lived in Midtown, the most walkable area in Atlanta and I definitely required a vehicle.

Old 04-16-2017, 08:14 PM

1,731 posts, read 1,891,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikelsphere View Post
Is it gonna be your first time in Atlanta ???

Old 04-16-2017, 08:50 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,926,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRedTide View Post
Uhhh IF You live in Atlanta City Limits. MARTA does Not extend to the Suburbs. and when 90% of people say they're"moving to Atlanta" they really mean moving to the suburbs of Atlanta, If Public Transportion is so important to you make sure you restrict your Apt/Home search or live in relatives search to Fulton County (where Atlanta is mostly located) to take full advantage of Marta.
You clearly have no clue as to where MARTA does and does not go. You shouldn't be giving advise to someone possibly relocating when you don't know what you are talking about.

Have you ever even been to Atlanta, or been on MARTA?

MARTA

Old 04-17-2017, 03:39 AM

9 posts, read 23,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRedTide View Post
Is it gonna be your first time in Atlanta ???
Yep!

Old 04-17-2017, 06:12 AM

2,426 posts, read 2,475,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
You clearly have no clue as to where MARTA does and does not go. You shouldn't be giving advise to someone possibly relocating when you don't know what you are talking about.

Have you ever even been to Atlanta, or been on MARTA?

MARTA
You have to keep in mind, Georgia is a Republican, Southern, Conservative state and does not support Transit like that, most of the funds comes from sales taxes from its supported counties even though I think it has been a push in recent years to do better on this they have a long way to go. To be Honest and Fair, Marta Run's in the Inner City and Inner Ring Suburbs of Fulton and DeKalb Counties, that would be Heavy Rail that is on two main lines that is, one north/south the other east/west no in between. Bus Service runs in three of Metro Atlanta's Core Counties Fulton, DeKalb and Clayton Counties, all of the Counties with the largest concentrations of blacks. Bus service is not ideal here in Atlanta if you ask me, especially in certain areas and the amenities Suck such as Bus Shelters and benches especially in majority black counties like Clayton on the south side. Just still seems they are discriminated against in my opinion because it's a totally different story on the north side. In a Nut shell if you don't live near a rail station in Fulton or DeKalb County, take the standard comforts of Transit out of your mind. That limits you to a small percentage as far as Public Transit so please keep in your mind you will be driving you car in Atlanta because the City is small for the most part, a very small percentage of the Metro's population and area. Every thing else is Technically Suburbs that require a Car and for the better quality of life for your dollar your going to need your Car!!!

Old 04-17-2017, 09:27 AM

9,818 posts, read 7,926,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oobanks View Post
You have to keep in mind, Georgia is a Republican, Southern, Conservative state and does not support Transit like that, most of the funds comes from sales taxes from its supported counties even though I think it has been a push in recent years to do better on this they have a long way to go. To be Honest and Fair, Marta Run's in the Inner City and Inner Ring Suburbs of Fulton and DeKalb Counties, that would be Heavy Rail that is on two main lines that is, one north/south the other east/west no in between. Bus Service runs in three of Metro Atlanta's Core Counties Fulton, DeKalb and Clayton Counties, all of the Counties with the largest concentrations of blacks. Bus service is not ideal here in Atlanta if you ask me, especially in certain areas and the amenities Suck such as Bus Shelters and benches especially in majority black counties like Clayton on the south side. Just still seems they are discriminated against in my opinion because it's a totally different story on the north side. In a Nut shell if you don't live near a rail station in Fulton or DeKalb County, take the standard comforts of Transit out of your mind. That limits you to a small percentage as far as Public Transit so please keep in your mind you will be driving you car in Atlanta because the City is small for the most part, a very small percentage of the Metro's population and area. Every thing else is Technically Suburbs that require a Car and for the better quality of life for your dollar your going to need your Car!!!
I know exactly where Atlanta is located, thank you.

BlueRedTide was spewing totally inaccurate information in regards to MARTA's service area, and I provided the link to correct that.

MARTA transports around 250,000 daily rail riders on only 48 miles of track, and serves 4 of our 5 main business districts. Those are impressive numbers no matter how you spin it.

Old 04-17-2017, 10:08 AM

2,426 posts, read 2,475,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
I know exactly where Atlanta is located, thank you.

BlueRedTide was spewing totally inaccurate information in regards to MARTA's service area, and I provided the link to correct that.

MARTA transports around 250,000 daily rail riders on only 48 miles of track, and serves 4 of our 5 main business districts. Those are impressive numbers no matter how you spin it.

Not putting a Spin on where Atlanta is located, just facts Growing region yes, but still located in the Heart of Old Dixie which holds it back in some aspects..

Old 04-17-2017, 04:00 PM

7,736 posts, read 5,513,631 times
For like the last year, when I think of Philly and Atlanta together, I think of this

https://twitter.com/DAndreSwift/stat...92332952432640

BREAKING: UGA lands a major commitment from nation’s No. 4 RB D’Andre Swift

Last edited by thedirtypirate; 04-17-2017 at 04:25 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City