Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2017, 10:03 AM

4,222 posts, read 3,732,777 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorman View Post
LOL. In your two rebuttals above (one of which is cited here) you're trying way too hard to hit back-to-back home runs that will send Cincinnati spinning.

First, please realize all that work and strain on your part is unnecessary, namely because I'm not in any way proclaiming that Cincinnati rivals Phoenix either in population or population growth, but only that the difference between the two metros isn't nearly as extreme as may be believed - and, in the figures I provided, I did just that. Second - if you're simply determined to bury Cincinnati in this comparison of cities - regarding CIN-DAY, please do so with less obscuration and, concerning metro densities, with accurate statistics.
No strain at all about 5 minutes of google searching, pretty easy fact finding. No clue why you'd count undeveloped land as if it's relevant to your point. I did my research on Phoenix before I moved here 15 years ago so most of this is just common knowledge to me and most who live here.

I've got nothing against Cincinnati it's a great town but the density argument about Phoenix is old and has been proven wrong over and over again. Yes the Phoenix MSA has incorporated square miles of 14,000 or more but most of it is undeveloped, our density proves it, if that space was developed we'd have 50,000,000 people living here at 3,600 ppsm, we clearly don't.

You're trying to apply land that locked up for no other reason then preserve far distant development should it ever actually be needed. Annexation is a way of life in the west and has no impact on the point you're hoping to make

Last edited by locolife; 04-25-2017 at 10:20 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2017, 11:43 AM

594 posts, read 698,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorman View Post
LOL. In your two rebuttals above (one of which is cited here) you're trying way too hard to hit back-to-back home runs that will send Cincinnati spinning.

First, please realize all that work and strain on your part is unnecessary, namely because I'm not in any way proclaiming that Cincinnati rivals Phoenix either in population or population growth, but only that the difference between the two metros isn't nearly as extreme as may be believed - and, in the figures I provided, I did just that. Second - if you're simply determined to bury Cincinnati in this comparison of cities - regarding CIN-DAY, please do so with less obscuration and, concerning metro densities, with accurate statistics.
At least you're conceding with big words.
You big word man !

Old 04-25-2017, 12:43 PM

555 posts, read 861,782 times
When it gets too hot here in Scottsdale during the summer, I like to vacation in Ohio.

Old 04-26-2017, 10:41 PM

5,349 posts, read 5,127,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
I have lol at this, do you live off the land without electricity out in the natural prairie grass lands of Denver? Last time I checked humans in every city use electricity to make it more comfortable. And Denver is pretty well irrigated to make all of that Bermuda grass and unnatural trees grow where they otherwise wouldn't.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
Not everything here has thorns, and Denver is also dependent on irrigation and electricity, too. Whats the difference?

And lets compare Denver to PHX regarding "nastiness", shall we? Cacti? Both areas have them. Thorny plants? Both areas have them. Rattlesnakes? Both areas have them. Mountain lions? Both areas have them. Scorpions? Both areas have them. Vast, harsh wilderness surrounding the cities? Both areas have them.

I think Denver might be more dangerous because you have the blizzards and bears on top of everything else. Touche!
I know every city is dependent on electricity and water, but the thing about Phoenix and AZ is that it's just more drastic than other places. If I wanted to go hike to the top of a hill in Cincinnati or Indy or Denver, I can just walk in a straight path there. In AZ, It's full of thorn bushes. It's just not a place you can go out for a walk in the woods. All 50 states have pokies, but AZ has them ALL over. And we don't have scorpions or roaches here, and those are the nasty animals that scare me the most.

Old 04-27-2017, 07:11 AM

4,222 posts, read 3,732,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
I know every city is dependent on electricity and water, but the thing about Phoenix and AZ is that it's just more drastic than other places. If I wanted to go hike to the top of a hill in Cincinnati or Indy or Denver, I can just walk in a straight path there. In AZ, It's full of thorn bushes. It's just not a place you can go out for a walk in the woods. All 50 states have pokies, but AZ has them ALL over. And we don't have scorpions or roaches here, and those are the nasty animals that scare me the most.
What does this even mean "I can walk in a straight path?" are you walking right through trees, bushes, and boulders? And if your paths are straight that sounds extremely boring, I mountain bike 4 days or more a week and have been doing so in Phoenix for over a decade, I don't have any problem hitting cacti or any other sharp bush (which by the way they're not all sharp, creosote which grow all over the valley don't have any thorns). But I also have no desire to go straight on a path for miles, the turns make it fun. I also have ridden all over Colorado and you don't have many straight Singletrack paths there. Maybe just stick to the side walk by cherry creek?

The water use in Phoenix is declining, has been for years. You can xeriscape, which is much prettier then grass imo and other then a drip system for water once in a while very little irrigation is needed. On electricity, we use a little thing called solar panels and soon with energy storage we may not even need the grid. Those 320 sunny days a year make it easier to live sustainable with today's technology.

We've also never had a roach in our house here, I did in an apartment I rented back east but in our home here not a one. A few scorpions in the yard but not a big deal and not any scarier then what you'll find in wooded cities (ticks with Lyme diseases for example).

For making such strong anti Phoenix claims it seems like your knowledge is kind of lacking on Phoenix. What I do like about Denver is the downtown area, looking forward to Phoenix being more like that. The mountains are amazing there but if you live/work downtown then getting there for weeknight hikes and bike rides is very challenging. That's my biggest drawback to Denver over Phoenix, we've got trails everywhere in the valley and Denver it's more isolated.

Old 04-30-2017, 02:05 PM

412 posts, read 509,475 times
They all suck but Cincinnati wins this. Phoenix second.

Old 05-01-2017, 10:58 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,962,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
Have you ever walked in the woods? Its MUCH harder than walking through a desert with sparse vegetation. Yes, our plants might be pricklier overall, but the forest is also full of thorny bushes and plants, sharp sticks and grasses, etc. Here we don't have to worry about mud, super dense vegetation, or ticks like in a forest.

And yes, you do have roaches and scorpions in Colorado. Scorpions range all the way up into Canada in spots. Even places like IL have species of scorpions, Colorado is not immune.

Old 05-01-2017, 11:57 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,442,762 times
Cincinnati no contest.

Old 11-17-2017, 12:25 AM

9,680 posts, read 9,387,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Cincinnati no contest.
Cincinnati has some nice urban developments under construction.

Old 12-04-2017, 02:06 PM

4,503 posts, read 4,612,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
Phoenix.

It is larger than both these other two COMBINED!

It's only a matter of a few years until the Phoenix metro has more people living there than the entire state of Indiana.

With names for suburbs like Peoria, Buckeye, and Goodyear in Phoenix Metro it's a tell-tale sign that native Midwesterners make up a large percentage of the population of Phoenix Metro. I bet if you took all the Midwesterners whose families moved to Phoenix Metro since the 1960's out of Phoenix Metro I bet the area would probably be about the size of Tucson Metro.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City