Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2017, 08:21 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,241,168 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
The last I looked these vs forums were designed for more than just U.S c v c and have been open to North American cities. FactsKillRhetoric actually brings a lot of other cities in N.A into his threads and it is great he does that to open things up to more than just U.S cities. His hospitality and many other Americans in here far more gracious than yours. If the rules of the forum were such that it was only U.S C v C I would abide as I expect Facts Kill Rhetoric would as well. I like Factkillrhetoric and other American posters who provide solid information and are open to receiving information. FactsKillrhetoric is a credit to these forums!

So yeah it was him and DavePa who were asking questions about Toronto and as such I answered. People were surprised at Toronto and other CAD cities density vs typical U.S cities (if you actually read this thread from start to finish before attacking me). Most large cities in the U.S are not NYC so I think there was genuine curiosity because they just assumed our cities would be generally like their own. Everyone knows in Canamerica - NYC is the top dog - this is indisputable. So it really becomes more a vs with other cities in general. Has NYC ever lost a vs in here? - of course not and for good reason so the any vs against NYC in this forum would be boring - it always wins - the result already predetermined! Questions were asked of Toronto in the general context of other U.S cities and answered and I actually said many times and was probably quick to point out that NYC's density was unfairly matched because it is such a large metro area and has a lot of low density suburban and exurban sprawl.

So no, I don't think anyone would be impressed with Toronto's density vs NYC. NYC is an outlier in the U.S itself...

As for the 'we' are not impressed bit - I question the we and I think you and I both know why - I think you're a fair bit closer to us than them....

Don't be such a protective ninny - and if some of them learn a bit about the city all the better. Chill out - you don't own the forums even though I think you like to think you do.. Your bully tactics won't work!
Got a chuckle... have not heard the term "ninny" since I saw reruns of the 60s TV show "Lost in Space".
This thread on density. Toronto surely can have a mention. I mentioned it pages ago in its density numbers vs NYC. Not going there again. But the vs. Chicago stuff I keep seeing.

Besides isn't it time as I said we just admit Toronto best Chicago in ALL things but # of skyscrapers yet? Then use threads to compare to LA and NYC in the city vs city forum. But really time to do WORLD forums vs. London, Paris, Hong Kong, Dubai and Bangkok maybe for vs. Toronto?

Houston has no chance. I read in Toronto forums Houston NEVER will surpass Toronto. city and metro's I took it as. I can't imagine any there US city but LA and NYC left. More then one thread last couple days this Toronto, Chicago game came up.

Chicago passing is old news on C-D vs Toronto. We argued cores already too. Discuss ITS DENSITY and forget other city vs city boast at least in this thread. There is a ----> WORLD OF DENSER CITIES OUT THERE. To keep a tangent going on these two.

I got my answer on NYC metro having its 4-state area pull way down its density numbers. So if not for trivial jabs we make.... I have nothing on topic more to add. If you do exclude me as we could get the thread closed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2017, 08:25 PM

2,868 posts, read 2,816,527 times
Another thread derailed by fusion.

Old 05-05-2017, 08:50 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,871,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
Got a chuckle... have not heard the term "ninny" since I saw reruns of the 60s TV show "Lost in Space
I mentioned ninny in the CAD forums in response to some 'ninny' laws we have with alcohol up there. For such a liberal city as Toronto it still has some pretty 'ninny' alcohol laws from the past we should just let go!

Quote:
This thread on density. Toronto surely can have a mention. I mentioned it pages ago in its density numbers vs NYC. Not going there again. But the vs. Chicago stuff I keep seeing.
As I said, Toronto and Chicago are Great lakes cities - the comparison will always be there. The best way they compare is on several population and density measures and the fact they are great lakes cities. Aside from that there are a lot of differences between the two as well. I like them on the whole fairly evenly but for different reasons. I more impressed with Chicago in some ways and impressed more by Toronto in others. Certainly in the U.S - Chicago is in my top 3 cities.

Quote:
Besides isn't it time as I said we just admit Toronto best Chicago in ALL things but # of skyscrapers yet? Then use threads to compare to LA and NYC in the city vs city forum. But really time to do WORLD forums vs. London, Paris, Hong Kong, Dubai and Bangkok maybe for vs. Toronto?
Chicago has more skyscrapers than Toronto. Toronto has more highrises as a whole. This one won't change for awhile though in the skyscraper department Toronto is slowly gaining on Chicago simply because it has been building more.. It is unlikely Chicago will ever have more highrises than Toronto - Toronto has 1000 more. As for London, Paris, Hong Kong or Bangkok the vs becomes more irrelevant for Toronto - they are far different cities and far more populous save for Hong Kong which isn't much larger than Toronto in metro population but is absurdly more dense and vertical. Bangkok is WAY too different than N.A cities. Its vibrancy is unmatched essentially. Its pedestrian vibrancy matches NYC actually but in that Asian way where life is on the streets from food stalls everywhere to night markets galore. Bangkok is without any doubt my favourite city on planet earth.

Quote:
Houston has no chance. I read in Toronto forums Houston NEVER will surpass Toronto. city and metro's I took it as. I can't imagine any there US city but LA and NYC left. More then one thread last couple days this Toronto, Chicago game came up.
It is unlikely Houston will surpass Toronto in city proper population for a long time. In terms of metro area population it will be more of a dog fight. If the oil and gas situation was as it was a few years back over the long term - I would say Houston would have the advantage - now i'd say advantage is back to Toronto. Toronto will not surpass L.A or NYC in any population metric - city proper, urban area, urban agglomeration, MSA equiv, CSA equiv for as long as anyone in this forum posting is alive. Highly unlikely.

Quote:
Chicago passing is old news on C-D vs Toronto. We argued cores already too. Discuss ITS DENSITY and forget other city vs city boast at least in this thread. There is a ----> WORLD OF DENSER CITIES OUT THERE. To keep a tangent going on these two.
As I said, Toronto is firmly a Canamerican city - no need to pretend to be something else! Its just more dense and highrise than typical peer U.S city. There are other difference but they aren't enough to compare as well against places across the pond.

Quote:
I got my answer on NYC metro having its 4-state area pull way down its density numbers. So if not for trivial jabs we make.... I have nothing on topic more to add. If you do exclude me as we could get the thread closed.
NYC itself is incredibly dense. You take that 8 million people and look at the density of the city its impressive by global standards. Its when you go out on MSA and CSA levels that the density tapers off. These are arbitrary boundaries - NYC is a beast period.

Old 05-05-2017, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manitopiaaa View Post
Another thread derailed by fusion.
I recommend simply ignoring my posts and eviscerating me from your existence. It'll be easier for you and also me - I can't take your guilt trips - its smothering!

Last edited by fusion2; 05-05-2017 at 09:03 PM..

Old 05-05-2017, 09:09 PM

1,982 posts, read 2,088,930 times
It isn't that I'm hostile towards Toronto. I just don't really care about Toronto, at least not on this forum. I care much more about the data comparisons among US cities. Toronto's colleagues are Montreal, Vancouver, Quebec, Edmonton, and so on. You know, other Canadian cities.

Old 05-05-2017, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parhe View Post
It isn't that I'm hostile towards Toronto. I just don't really care about Toronto, at least not on this forum. I care much more about the data comparisons among US cities. Toronto's colleagues are Montreal, Vancouver, Quebec, Edmonton, and so on. You know, other Canadian cities.
When I was referring to hostile it was namely one specific poster who has a legendary reputation including and mostly in the CAD forums for being hostile towards Toronto and Canada at large. You are just expressing your opinion and its fair. Hey if the rules changed to only include American cities i'm more than happy to abide by them. Perhaps a North American C v C could be created. This way only those interested in N.A comparisons would partake and you wouldn't be forced to read things you don't care about in U.S C v C. I know you don't care about these comparisons but maybe others would. I think there is room to accommodate all in this forum in a respectful environment.

Last edited by fusion2; 05-05-2017 at 09:57 PM..

Old 05-05-2017, 10:04 PM

615 posts, read 599,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manitopiaaa View Post
If 20 random Americans went to the Canada threads and flooded the page with "OMG Chicago is the greatest!" posts, you would be rightfully annoyed. Yet you seem to have no problems spamming the U.S. threads with your lame superlatives that no one's impressed about.

Toronto has 5.1 million in 676 square miles. Do you honestly think this is that impressive? Do you want us to pat you on the back? Because you post 1,000 word posts that are nothing more than desperate pleas for affirmation.

Why should Americans be impressed with Toronto and it's 5.1 million in 676 square miles, especially when we're blessed to have a city, New York, that fits 5.1 million in 115 square miles? The Toronto boosters need to get over themselves. We're not impressed.
This is city vs city, and Fusion is the only Toronto guy posting.

Get over it.

If you don't like city vs city, get out of the forum.

Quote:
Canadian cities are North American by design, but there is a Canadian twist on how they are planned and run. It is interesting to compare them to sister American cities, in this case Chicago and Toronto.

In Chicago you have beautiful grand buildings with some of the best architecture on the continent, but you drive down Michigan ave in the afternoon and its relatively deserted.

In Toronto, the lakeshore and south core are almost entirely residential highrises, consequently you have entire communities of people organically living their lives in the shadow of the CN Tower.

This is the primary difference between the direction Canadian cities are taking vs. their American counterparts sans NYC. Nonetheless there is still no comparison between asian cities.

Last edited by Mr. Burns; 05-05-2017 at 10:17 PM..

Old 05-06-2017, 06:46 AM

26,875 posts, read 38,014,760 times
Toronto does have some annoying boosters on CD but fusion is not one of them.

And the annoying boosterism by some is at least part of the reason that the city often gets unfairly slagged.

Old 05-06-2017, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Toronto does have some annoying boosters on CD but fusion is not one of them.

And the annoying boosterism by some is at least part of the reason that the city often gets unfairly slagged.
Well thank you AJ, I enjoy your contributions to these forums immensely! I do think we should be real - it isn't unlike some annoying boosters in other U.S cities in a vs forum. If you read some of the C v C threads in here some could put the worst of mindless Toronto boosterism to shame. I think it mostly comes down to numbers. The more people you have the more of a spread you're going to get. From my perspective if Canadian and Mexican cities are going to be allowed in the vs forums than there should be no 'special' requirement of them nor special treatment either.

Last edited by fusion2; 05-06-2017 at 10:01 AM..

Old 05-08-2017, 08:52 PM

2,868 posts, read 2,816,527 times
Quote:
This 1000%.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City