Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2017, 10:56 PM

2,868 posts, read 2,814,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
Why we always include Toronto or Canadian cities America love Canada that much lol
We should just exclude them. All it does is lead to the same boosters hi-jacking the thread to circle jerk about their overrated hometowns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2017, 05:17 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,867,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manitopiaaa View Post
Do you ever tire of posting the same whiny self-praise in every thread? We get it. Toronto is dense. It's the second coming of Coruscant. Whatever you say. Why do you keep bantering about trivialities?

Fun fact:
Cook and DuPage Counties, Illinois fit 6,167,584 in 1,272 square miles
Toronto's CMA fits 6,417,516 in 2,752 square miles, more than 2x the land area(!)

Toronto is neither dense nor impressive. And it's certainly not special enough for you to be plastering "Toronto is super duper dense" on every page.
Such hostility and anger in your soul and soooo judgemental my lord boy (still wonder why lol) - talk about latency though.. How long was this building up for? I was expecting it

Fun fact pt deux

The GTA is not the Toronto CMA just as an FYI. The Toronto CMA has a 2016 population of 5.9 million in 2280 sq miles

The urban area population of the Toronto CMA is 5.132 million in 676 sq miles.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toronto

The GTA has loads of protected green space (just as cook country is actually 1600 sq miles but a lot is water) and marshland which contain some of the most valuable greenspace in Canada. They can't be compromised so yes, in the Canamerican context, Toronto's urban area is impressively dense and yes, Cook county is also impressively dense. I would say that NYC, L.A, Chicago's Cook County and Toronto's urban area population are probably the most impressive and dense large urban areas in Canamerica. I'd follow those by Montreal, SF and Philly... If you look at Demographia's stats - that is why they measured urban area and not just an arbitrary boundary like say the GTA or a CSA for example. They omitted large swaths of water and and greenspace for example within an arbitrary boundary and only included built up urban form. It is within the built up urban area where Toronto is actually impressively dense in Canamerica. On a global level excluding American, Canadian and Australian cities (maybe some others like NZ pour example, i'd very much agree with you).

To recap
Cook county is 5.2 million in 1635 sq miles (945 land and 690 water)
Toronto urban area is 5.1 million in 676 sq miles

on the city proper level
Toronto is 2.73 million in 243 sq miles
Chicago is 2.72 million in 234 sq miles

Outside of the above both start to taper off into pretty suburban and exurban density but Chicago's just goes on more than Toronto's..

You can check everything I stated above in the links below
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toronto
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicago
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cook_County,_Illinois

Last edited by fusion2; 05-05-2017 at 05:36 PM..

Old 05-05-2017, 05:26 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,239,344 times
Come on boys. It's not Toronto best Chicago time. For some its never ending. Their might be a thread TNT wasn't closed to revive through? Honestly, the memo out - it's NYC or bust now that Toronto wants to gain like. Heck thy tried to do a Times Square?

No one wants a debate on these too cities to do a size, length and girth test on....

Old 05-05-2017, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
Come on boys. It's not Toronto best Chicago time. That's been done. Honestly
Are people allergic to information? I don't have any hostility whatsoever to Chicago. I wish I could say the same about some people in here and their blatant and constant hostility towards Toronto..

Old 05-05-2017, 05:30 PM

Quote:
We should just exclude them. All it does is lead to the same boosters hi-jacking the thread to circle jerk about their overrated hometowns.
Oh that doesn't happen in just U.S city vs threads - oh no. The double standard you are showing here is just soooo obvious and its because of that thing you have against your home uhem excuse me I mean against Toronto for some odd reason. If anyone actually says anything about Toronto in any and I mean any type of comparative terms in a city vs its suddenly boosterism of our I mean uhem of my hometown. Stop being so obvious lol..

Last edited by fusion2; 05-05-2017 at 05:49 PM..

Old 05-05-2017, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Really, Toronto can boast its the dominant male now? Who cares. Not everyone wants a measuring contest.
What are you going on about!? Seriously I have made it very clear that NYC city proper pulverizes Toronto's urban area in terms of not just population but density. L.A has probably the most impressive contiguous urbanized density in Canamerica. Chicago's Cook County and Toronto's urban area population are actually shockingly comparable. Chicago and Toronto city proper population and density shockingly comparable. On macro level population and density it is almost odd that they compare so closely. Chicago just has a lot more exurban growth and of course is the larger contiguous urbanized area. So exactly how have I boasted that Toronto is the dominant male exactly. If you don't want to be part of the discussion and exchange information than simply don't.

Stop echoing other people as well.. You're your own person.

Old 05-05-2017, 06:15 PM

2,868 posts, read 2,814,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Oh that doesn't happen in just U.S city vs threads - oh no. The double standard you are showing here is just soooo obvious and its because of that thing you have against your home uhem excuse me I mean against Toronto for some odd reason. If anyone actually says anything about Toronto in any and I mean any type of comparative terms in a city vs its suddenly boosterism of our I mean uhem of my hometown. Stop being so obvious lol..
If 20 random Americans went to the Canada threads and flooded the page with "OMG Chicago is the greatest!" posts, you would be rightfully annoyed. Yet you seem to have no problems spamming the U.S. threads with your lame superlatives that no one's impressed about.

Toronto has 5.1 million in 676 square miles. Do you honestly think this is that impressive? Do you want us to pat you on the back? Because you post 1,000 word posts that are nothing more than desperate pleas for affirmation.

Why should Americans be impressed with Toronto and it's 5.1 million in 676 square miles, especially when we're blessed to have a city, New York, that fits 5.1 million in 115 square miles? The Toronto boosters need to get over themselves. We're not impressed.

Old 05-05-2017, 06:21 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,239,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
What are you going on about!? Seriously I have made it very clear that NYC city proper pulverizes Toronto's urban area in terms of not just population but density. L.A has probably the most impressive contiguous urbanized density in Canamerica. Chicago's Cook County and Toronto's urban area population are actually shockingly comparable. Chicago and Toronto city proper population and density shockingly comparable. On macro level population and density it is almost odd that they compare so closely. Chicago just has a lot more exurban growth and of course is the larger contiguous urbanized area. So exactly how have I boasted that Toronto is the dominant male exactly. If you don't want to be part of the discussion and exchange information than simply don't.

Stop echoing other people as well.. You're your own person.
But Toronto declared the city proper win in 2013. The metro Chicagoland vs the Toronto Golden Horseshoe even Greater Horseshoe will have some Torontonians declare a win there. The US and Canada still use their measuring sticks differently.

This endless need that Toronto declare more high-rises? Can't wait to say more skyscrapers and this endless density?

Start a thread on Chicago vs Toronto DENSITY Then? We are different nations and the US still has a love of suburban living too. It's ok to claim a couple Canadian cities now look to be more European or Asian dense and of course..... NYC. Chicago chose its standard lot size, setbacks of housing in its neighborhoods, and built 90% of the city with alleyways. That includes downtown with the alleyways.

Some infill can change it a bit. But the city still zones neighborhood's for lower density housing. Main corridors are different. Downtown and some north shore areas my get ok's for high-rises more? But it takes city permission.

Its lost housing on the South sides are not INFILLING anytime soon to drastically increase its density. Downtown is still Getting high-rise to skyscraper living (by US standards high) and some main corridors out from the core. But again, the city maintains zoning in most neighborhoods to maintain its single-homes. Especially its bungalow belt.

So if Toronto wants to claim a density win by city and metro? Fine by most I'm sure. Chicago does NOT STRIVE TO BE NYC. It chose purposely no tenements as it rebuilt after its Great Fire. Merely its CORE Manhattanized and up its Gold Coast. They still build up where zoning allows. Probably not so much outside the core as once. So in the Core its density battle still is ongoing. But it is a US city with a booming core today. But overall its metro growth is not. The US still has a migration ongoing to its Sunbelt and Corporate America fuels it in cheaper or no corporate taxes in some states.

I think Toronto needs to use the World forums more vs. dense European cities and Asian. Its time for it and US cities already will not battle this density game with it. They don't put density first in growth. But it has increased.

Too many threads I keep seeing Toronto brought in and somehow still Chicago vs it. I just try to say YOU WON THE MEASURING CONTEST for all but the -----> stand-up length and height. When overall skyscraper count (feather) in Toronto's cap occurs? I'm sure THREADS WILL POP UP TO SHOW UP CHI-TOWN ONCE AND FOR ALL.

Old 05-05-2017, 07:41 PM

Quote:
If 20 random Americans went to the Canada threads and flooded the page with "OMG Chicago is the greatest!" posts, you would be rightfully annoyed. Yet you seem to have no problems spamming the U.S. threads with your lame superlatives that no one's impressed about.

Toronto has 5.1 million in 676 square miles. Do you honestly think this is that impressive? Do you want us to pat you on the back? Because you post 1,000 word posts that are nothing more than desperate pleas for affirmation.

Why should Americans be impressed with Toronto and it's 5.1 million in 676 square miles, especially when we're blessed to have a city, New York, that fits 5.1 million in 115 square miles? The Toronto boosters need to get over themselves. We're not impressed.
The last I looked these vs forums were designed for more than just U.S c v c and have been open to North American cities. FactsKillRhetoric actually brings a lot of other cities in N.A into his threads and it is great he does that to open things up to more than just U.S cities. His hospitality and many other Americans in here far more gracious than yours. If the rules of the forum were such that it was only U.S C v C I would abide as I expect Facts Kill Rhetoric would as well. I like Factkillrhetoric and other American posters who provide solid information and are open to receiving information. FactsKillrhetoric is a credit to these forums! I actually learn things from him and he's super informed about our cities and genuinely curious and open so if he asked me anything about the city I will answer him! All said, I challenge you to find a thread I created to vs and shame any city. Not going to happen actually and you'll also find in many instances I have actually written what I like about U.S cities. How you speak of Toronto however - well that just speaks to itself and is a life of its own.

So yeah it was him and DavePa who were asking questions about Toronto and as such I answered. People were surprised at Toronto and other CAD cities density vs typical U.S cities (if you actually read this thread from start to finish before attacking me). Most large cities in the U.S are not NYC so I think there was genuine curiosity because they just assumed our cities would be generally like their own. Everyone knows in Canamerica - NYC is the top dog - this is indisputable. So it really becomes more a vs with other cities in general. Has NYC ever lost a vs in here? - of course not and for good reason so the any vs against NYC in this forum would be boring - it always wins - the result already predetermined! Questions were asked of Toronto in the general context of other U.S cities and I actually said many times and was probably quick to point out that NYC's density was unfairly matched because it is such a large metro area and has a lot of low density suburban and exurban sprawl.

So no, I don't think anyone would be impressed with Toronto's density vs NYC. NYC is an outlier in the U.S itself...

As for the 'we' are not impressed bit - I question the we and I think you and I both know why - I think you're a fair bit closer to us than them - and I have to be honest with you, I haven't the foggiest clue why but I just hope you find some peace and move on. I wish you the best.

All said, don't be such a protective ninny - and if some of them learn a bit about the city all the better. Chill out - you don't own the forums even though I think you like to think you do.. Your bully tactics won't work!

Last edited by fusion2; 05-05-2017 at 08:23 PM..

Old 05-05-2017, 08:08 PM

Quote:
But Toronto declared the city proper win in 2013. The metro Chicagoland vs the Toronto Golden Horseshoe even Greater Horseshoe will have some Torontonians declare a win there. The US and Canada still use their measuring sticks differently.

This endless need that Toronto declare more high-rises? Can't wait to say more skyscrapers and this endless density?

Start a thread on Chicago vs Toronto DENSITY Then? We are different nations and the US still has a love of suburban living too. It's ok to claim a couple Canadian cities now look to be more European or Asian dense and of course..... NYC. Chicago chose its standard lot size, setbacks of housing in its neighborhoods, and built 90% of the city with alleyways. That includes downtown with the alleyways.
Well I just would like to start off by saying that you asked and brought up T.O so i'm just responding. I not just randomly peppering this thread with Toronto posts - i'm answering the call you ask. Canadian cities urban areas are typically more dense than American cities urban areas. Yes. Not all and of course there will be outliers but in a general sense this is true. It doesn't make their built form the same as Asian or Euro cities - just that the density is a bit closer than typical large American city. Haven't we been through this many times Dave?

As for highrises it is the same thing - given that Canadian cities are typical more dense they are typically more highrise. Note this isn't saying they are superior it is stating that to show that Canadians are more inclined to highrise living than Americans. Somehow you or Maniwhatever will take this offensively and I have no idea why but question asked and answered. If you ask me nicely i'll respond nicely - if you are being rude or dismissive you get what you give.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...rise_buildings

Quote:
So if Toronto wants to claim a density win by city and metro? Fine by most I'm sure. Chicago does NOT STRIVE TO BE NYC. It chose purposely no tenements as it rebuilt after its Great Fire. Merely its CORE Manhattanized and up its Gold Coast. They still build up where zoning allows. Probably not so much outside the core as once. So in the Core its density battle still is ongoing. But it is a US city with a booming core today. But overall its metro growth is not. The US still has a migration ongoing to its Sunbelt and Corporate America fuels it in cheaper or no corporate taxes in some states.
Toronto doesn't strive to be NYC or Chicago either. I don't know where you get that though it is natural that two great lakes cities that are both the largest great lakes cities will be compared this is natural. I really like Chicago actually and I know many Chicagoans who like T.O. Some people get all nuts about this stuff though - it is what it is but my real Chicago friends are among the coolest Americans I've met. There is a down to earth nature to them I appreciate.

Quote:
I think Toronto needs to use the World forums more vs. dense European cities and Asian. Its time for it and US cities already will not battle this density game with it. They don't put density first in growth. But it has increased.
Toronto is certainly much more alike with American cities than Euro or even Asian cities. Toronto and even Montreal are still firmly N.A cities. That said, if you don't ask questions or reference Toronto and simply ignore it I would respect your wishes. I'm not going to post stuff to speak to myself in here lol.. If you engage me i'll respond but if you continue to be rude and show animosity towards Toronto than i'll disengage and only engage with genuine posters who care to learn about my city as I care to learn about theirs. Ever wonder why my back and forth with Factskillrhetoric or That One Guy are so civil - because they are cool posters who are curious and fair and certainly not hostile!

Quote:
Too many threads I keep seeing Toronto brought in and somehow still Chicago vs it. I just try to say YOU WON THE MEASURING CONTEST for all but the -----> stand-up length and height. When overall skyscraper count (feather) in Toronto's cap occurs? I'm sure THREADS WILL POP UP TO SHOW UP CHI-TOWN ONCE AND FOR ALL.
Underline - now you wouldn't have ANYTHING to do at all with this Dave now would you LOL.. You funny guy! The rest of this paragraph is just you being you. What can I say...I accept you. One day you'll come up here and if you do you can always PM me buddy.

Last edited by fusion2; 05-05-2017 at 08:19 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City