Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2017, 07:01 AM

93,281 posts, read 123,898,066 times

Advertisements

Which would you consider based upon:

Walkability/Urbanity(built environment)

Nightlife/Things to do

Education

Shopping

Safety

Housing variety

Affordability

Both have a similar population and are outside of major Northeastern cities, in which they are a part of that metro. You can add anything else as well.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 04-26-2017 at 07:30 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2017, 08:50 AM

Street views of Downtown of both cities. Wilmington: https://www.google.com/maps/@39.7460...8i6656!6m1!1e1

Mount Vernon: https://www.google.com/maps/@40.9127...1!2i40!6m1!1e1

Old 04-26-2017, 12:05 PM

3,530 posts, read 4,175,298 times
"Wilmington" (you misspelled your title) is much more of a standalone city/metro than Mt Vernon--Wilmington is separated by ~25 miles from Philadelphia, while Mt. Vernon is only 4.4 sq miles and directly borders the Bronx. This is an apples to oranges (and invalid) comparison, as you won't be able to separate Mt. Vernon from NYC and Yonkers. Nice street views, though.

Old 04-26-2017, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGuyForLife View Post
"Wilmington" (you misspelled your title) is much more of a standalone city/metro than Mt Vernon--Wilmington is separated by ~25 miles from Philadelphia, while Mt. Vernon is only 4.4 sq miles and directly borders the Bronx. This is an apples to oranges (and invalid) comparison, as you won't be able to separate Mt. Vernon from NYC and Yonkers. Nice street views, though.
My mistake....This is in regards to the cities themselves.

Old 04-26-2017, 02:06 PM

3,530 posts, read 4,175,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
My mistake....This is in regards to the cities themselves.
If we looked at this in a vacuum, then:

Walkability/Urbanity(built environment): Mt Vernon is over twice as dense as Wilmington and has a slightly higher walkscore (76 to 72). But as it is an inner suburb of NYC, its infrastructure is largely residential. It isn't a commerical hub in the sense that Wilmington is and lacks that variety (i.e. commercial skyscrapers) in terms of urban build. Mt. Vernon, technically.

https://www.walkscore.com/NY/Mount_Vernon
https://www.walkscore.com/DE/Wilmington
https://www.emporis.com/statistics/t...-vernon-ny-usa

Nightlife/Things to do: Strictly within the city proper, Wilmington.

Education: Mt. Vernon
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Shopping: Not sure. Wilmington is tax-free shopping, but the majority of big-box stores and malls are outside of the city limits (though within Wilmington zip codes). I can't seem to find too much info on Mt Vernon, but it might win by default.

Safety: Mt Vernon is the safer city.

Housing variety: Wilmington is older and has more variety.

Affordability: Wilmington is far more affordable than Mt. Vernon, especially in housing costs.

In reality, Mt Vernon is essentially an extension of New York City itself. It's much more intertwined with NYC than Wilmington is with Philadelphia. Again, apples and oranges.

Last edited by Yac; 05-10-2017 at 06:32 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City