Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which is better
Richmond 68 54.40%
Baltimore 57 45.60%
Voters: 125. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2017, 02:18 AM

4,601 posts, read 2,992,254 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
Which would you choose?
Don't know, because I've never visited Richmond. Politically, I'd take MD over VA. But for a place to live, I'd go for smaller & quieter (even when I was young, I wasn't interested in nightlife). But anyway it's the OP's preferences that matter here, not mine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2017, 06:45 PM

1,310 posts, read 1,509,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
None of the metros listed are "hurting," but most cities are with the 3.7-4.6% unemployment range; Pittsburgh is the only metro over 5%. Also, Baltimore's labor force is growing faster in absolute numbers than some metros twice its size. Economically, the Baltimore area is very healthy. I think some of much of the population loss that the city recently experienced is due to gentrification. That seems to be the only justification since the Baltimore City is actually growing in every other metric.
Household size in Baltimore decreased at full 2% in the 2016 American Community Survey. There is no way that building 2,500 to 3,000 new housing units per year can keep up with that kind of very very rapid decline in household size. At that rate, Baltimore will drop well below 600K by the end of the decade but it will also have house household sizes matching Boston, DC, San Francisco and other booming cities. Personally, I'm having trouble making sense of what the Census is telling us.

Old 10-05-2017, 06:57 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,956,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwduvall View Post
Household size in Baltimore decreased at full 2% in the 2016 American Community Survey. There is no way that building 2,500 to 3,000 new housing units per year can keep up with that kind of very very rapid decline in household size. At that rate, Baltimore will drop well below 600K by the end of the decade but it will also have house household sizes matching Boston, DC, San Francisco and other booming cities. Personally, I'm having trouble making sense of what the Census is telling us.
I find it odd as well. Another puzzling aspect of it is that with all this development going on, none of it is sitting with high vacancy rates. Downtown alone appears to be growing faster than other areas are shrinking, but yet the numbers don't make sense.

Old 11-17-2017, 12:41 AM

9,679 posts, read 9,380,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW4me View Post
Don't know, because I've never visited Richmond. Politically, I'd take MD over VA. But for a place to live, I'd go for smaller & quieter (even when I was young, I wasn't interested in nightlife). But anyway it's the OP's preferences that matter here, not mine.
For me, I didn't like how small it was. However, I understand that may be appealing to those who are tired of large cities. I also did not feel safe in some areas. Both cities could work on improving the quality of life for lower income residents.

Old 11-18-2017, 09:18 AM

Quote:
For me, I didn't like how small it was. However, I understand that may be appealing to those who are tired of large cities. I also did not feel safe in some areas. Both cities could work on improving the quality of life for lower income residents.
How does the city do that?

Old 11-18-2017, 11:46 AM

636 posts, read 611,191 times
i mean obviously bmore is bigger so some will automatically equate that with being better, but ive seen no evidence that bmore is the better city in terms of actual quality of life. the two are on different trajectories in 2017; rich is improving whle bmore seems to be i creasingly similar to a post-industrial midwest ishhole than an east coast city (aside from the rowhouses of course).

bmore has pro sports teams and (i assume) direct flights to cali. otherwise i dont see where bmore is that much better in the least.

Old 11-18-2017, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA All Day View Post
i mean obviously bmore is bigger so some will automatically equate that with being better, but ive seen no evidence that bmore is the better city in terms of actual quality of life. the two are on different trajectories in 2017; rich is improving whle bmore seems to be i creasingly similar to a post-industrial midwest ishhole than an east coast city (aside from the rowhouses of course).

bmore has pro sports teams and (i assume) direct flights to cali. otherwise i dont see where bmore is that much better in the least.
Baltimore is doing really well, And really bad at the same time. The negatives have started to outweigh the positives. It's really frustrating that the city as a whole can't get out of its own way.

Old 03-29-2019, 07:19 AM

257 posts, read 223,057 times
Someone mentioned that the James is not a selling point for Richmond. What a joke. What other city has a whitewater river with Class III-IV rapids flowing through it? Not to mention, the river has become the national example for how to do restoration properly -- and there are improvements every year. Meanwhile, Baltimore ignored their consent decree to clean up the harbor for 18 years. Only now, after being sued by the EPA are they attempting to turn things around. Meanwhile the Richmond mayor allocated 21 million dollars over the next few years for more restoration activities around the James River park system. I have lived in Baltimore, the level of dysfunction is unbelievable but it does have potential. As things stand now, Richmond is the better of the two.

Old 03-29-2019, 10:09 PM

9,679 posts, read 9,380,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adriftinthebay View Post
Someone mentioned that the James is not a selling point for Richmond. What a joke. What other city has a whitewater river with Class III-IV rapids flowing through it? Not to mention, the river has become the national example for how to do restoration properly -- and there are improvements every year. Meanwhile, Baltimore ignored their consent decree to clean up the harbor for 18 years. Only now, after being sued by the EPA are they attempting to turn things around. Meanwhile the Richmond mayor allocated 21 million dollars over the next few years for more restoration activities around the James River park system. I have lived in Baltimore, the level of dysfunction is unbelievable but it does have potential. As things stand now, Richmond is the better of the two.
How is Richmond better based solely on the River park system?

Old 03-30-2019, 06:01 AM

5,819 posts, read 5,622,386 times
Quote:
How is Richmond better based solely on the River park system?
He didn't say based solely on the river. But he's lived in both, so I'd say he's allowed to take whatever perspective he wants...

Funny thing is if he said Baltimore was better for any reason you wouldn't question a damn thing lol...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City