Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2017, 10:23 PM

75 posts, read 89,741 times

Advertisements

Oregon, New Mexico, or North Carolina? Which of these 3 states would you most want to live in and why? Here is some critieria.......

Which offers the best quality of life?
Which has the best weather?
Which is the most affordable?
Which has the most to do?
Which is the most unique?
Which is the most friendly?
Which is the best for enjoying the outdoors?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2017, 10:59 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,377,272 times
Well, I plan on living in the Land of Enchantment someday.I think New Mexico would offer the best quality of life for me.I also like the climate there the best especially around Las Cruces/Alamogordo out of the 3 states listed.America's Land of Enchantment will be plenty affordable to me.The attractions there appeal the most to me.I dont know if its the most unique but New Mexico seems really unique to me.Most of the residents of the Land of Enchantment that I have met have been nice enough.I like the outdoors in New Mexico the best out of the options listed.However, I plan on traveling out of state for the outdoors.I like that New Mexico is real sunny so the Pac NW would not work for me.Plus, I have always loved the Land of Enchantment anyways.

Old 05-14-2017, 11:29 AM

11,090 posts, read 7,149,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IcomeInPeaceDolphLundgren View Post
Oregon, New Mexico, or North Carolina? Which of these 3 states would you most want to live in and why? Here is some critieria.......

It will depend on what YOU consider "best" and "most". We all our our own preferences, which may not match any of yours.

Even taking Oregon for example, the west side of the state can be heavily wet and overcast for many months, while the eastern side will be drier and more moderate. New Mexico is extremely dry. So, with just weather alone, do you like wet, mild/moderate, or dry?

As for the outdoors, do you like open skies (New Mexico / eastern Oregon), or do you like lush regions with towering trees (western Oregon / North Carolina)? Do you like coastal (OR/NC), or like a dry climate away from large bodies of water?

So you see, weather preferences and differences alone are huge. And that's just one factor. How about people/culture, cost of living, jobs/industries? Unless you have lots of money, you're going to have to look at factors other than leisure / good-times stuff. Or do you just want to live as a drifter, land bum? From experience, it's a bit dangerous and foolish to weigh to heavily on outdoors and leisure factors. That ends up being too head-in-the clouds, and not realistic and practical. Unless you make your money and living from the outdoors, you're going to have to pay the bills.

Old 05-16-2017, 10:38 AM

1,907 posts, read 3,228,788 times
Nc

Old 05-16-2017, 12:07 PM

5,649 posts, read 5,963,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IcomeInPeaceDolphLundgren View Post

Which offers the best quality of life? OR
Which has the best weather? NM
Which is the most affordable? NM
Which has the most to do? NC
Which is the most unique? NM
Which is the most friendly? NC
Which is the best for enjoying the outdoors? OR or NM

Old 05-16-2017, 05:13 PM

405 posts, read 476,111 times
Best quality of life? North Carolina. Beautiful Mountain ranges, gorgeous beaches, while having a great economy and a relatively low COL. New Mexico offers a low COL as well, however it's economy isn't great and I'd prefer a green scenery over desert.

Best weather? Again North Carolina for me. Not a fan of the cloudy gloomy Oregon weather at all, and actually prefer humidity to dry heat.

Most affordable? Tie between North Carolina and New Mexico. However, once you factor in wages and unemployment rates, North Carolina wins this again.

Most to do? Once again, NC. Very outdoorsy, 3 medium sized cities, coastline, driving distance to east coast cities and Nashville, Carowinds, etc. Oregon has Portland but I myself am not a fan, and NM has nice outdoor recreation options if you like biking, hiking, etc.

Most unique? All 3 have characteristics that are unique. One is desert, one is Pacific Northwest, and one is South.

Most friendly? In my experience the people in North Carolina (visited Raleigh Duram and Coastal towns numerous times) were all very nice and proud of their state. I also found New Mexicans proud of their state as well. Only been to Oregon once so I can't really say.

Best for enjoying the outdoors? All 3 again. All have mountains, NM has desert, Oregon and NC have coastline, skiing, etc.

I would pick North Carolina, because of the growing economy, closeness to home (NY), access to east coast cities and the beautiful greenery and mountains.

Old 05-16-2017, 05:31 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,457,003 times
North Carolina. Politically and culturally super different from Oregon but geographically, there are SOME similarities. Both have mountains and a coastline and lots of woodlands. Though that's where it ends. The Carolina coast appeals to me more, though. I'd love to visit Cape Hatteras. And even though Oregon's mountains are more epic and majestic, the Appalachians appeal more to me, as they're more "quaint" and I'd rather quaint than rugged. Also summers are warmer in NC, which makes the beach more appealing. You also get, at least in many parts of the state, more of the seasons with more sunshine. The lowlands of NC probably get as much snow as the lowlands of OR funny enough, but also more thunderstorms and less of that endless drizzle.

New Mexico would be the last one I'd consider. Looks more enjoyable to visit than live in.

Old 05-16-2017, 06:25 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,446,202 times
North Carolina easily. Charlotte and Raleigh are on the rise. You get the best of both worlds with mountains and the beach. The weather is generally nice. And even with the bathroom mess, NC still has much going for it economically. The state has a strong culture (general southern, BBQ, basketball, outer banks) as well.

Old 05-16-2017, 08:09 PM

1,586 posts, read 2,148,148 times
Never been to Oregon, embarrassingly enough (it's been on my to-do list forever), but I've been to 38 states and North Carolina and New Mexico are both among my least favorite. So Oregon.

Old 05-16-2017, 08:34 PM

14,053 posts, read 13,929,555 times
I hear Portland, Oregon is like little Seattle
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City