Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2017, 01:38 PM

4,675 posts, read 7,401,948 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonkid123 View Post
Almost all of United's international long haul flights originate from Terminal 1 Concourse C - and that is a lot of flights because United is the largest operator of international routes out of ORD on a daily basis. You can easily check ORD's departure schedule online to verify departure gates for United international flights. I am required by company policy to fly United or Lufthansa for international travel, and have so far had all of my long haul transatlantic or asian flights out of C concourse - including my United/Lufthansa flights to Frankfurt, Shanghai PVG, and Hong Kong - all T1 C gates.

With the exception of United, Swiss, Singapore, and Turkish - all other flights out of ORD T5 are non-Star Alliance airlines.
But do you actually have any stats on the number of passengers in/out of the B/C concourses vs. T5? Anecdotes aside, without any additional numbers, I have no reason to believe T5 has fewer total international passengers than T1.

"Terminal 5 houses all of O'Hare's international arrivals (excluding flights from American Airlines and United Airlines from destinations with U.S. border preclearance.) Other destinations with U.S. border preclearance, including flights operated by Aer Lingus and Etihad Airways, arrive at Terminal 5, but are treated as domestic arrivals. With the exception of select Star Alliance and Oneworld carriers that board from Terminal 1 or Terminal 3 respectively, all non-U.S. carriers except Air Canada depart from Terminal 5. Terminal 5 has 21 gates (9 to be added) on one concourse"

"Terminal 5 is the one at O’Hare airport that operates with more than 40 airlines. These airlines are:
Aer Lingus, AeroMexico, Air Berlin (arrivals), Air France, Air India, Alaska (international arrivals), Alitalia, American (international arrivals), ANA (arrivals), Asiana Airlines, Austrian Airlines, Avianca, British Airways, Cathay Pacific, Cayman Airways, China Eastern, Copa, Delta (Paris, France), Emirates, Ethiad Airways, Finnair, Frontier Airlines (international arrivals), Hainan Airlines, Iberia (arrivals), Icelandair, Japan Airlines (arrivals), KLM, Korean Air, LOT Polish Airlines, Lufthansa (arrivals), Qtar Airways, Royal Jordanian, SAS, Spirit Airlines (international arrivals), SWISS, Turkish Airlines, United Airlines (international arrivals), Virgin Atlantic Airways, Volaris, WestJet, Xtra Airways."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/O%27Ha...ternational.29
Terminals - Chicago O'Hare Airport (ORD)

But again, I don't have any numbers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2017, 01:42 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,961,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
London+Paris+Amsterdam=327 million
Yeah, I was going to post similar.

That being said when it comes to International O&D as well as high quality airline service, high quality customer service, and high quality destination options, our airports in general vicinity in this part of Europe resoundingly top the Northeast Corridor.

New York, as always, is excellent with regard to high volume and service. Really the only Northeast Corridor city on par with London and Paris (or even Amsterdam) on those fronts.

Last edited by Trafalgar Law; 09-08-2017 at 01:56 PM..

Old 09-08-2017, 02:28 PM

406 posts, read 486,250 times
Quote:
Friendship Airport - such a nice, heartwarming name. Wish more airports were like this, being more creative - and more welcoming - with their names.
You'll be happy to hear that BWI's main terminal thoroughfare is still named Friendship Road:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ba...!4d-76.6121893

Old 09-08-2017, 02:43 PM

2,829 posts, read 3,173,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintainschaos View Post
But do you actually have any stats on the number of passengers in/out of the B/C concourses vs. T5? Anecdotes aside, without any additional numbers, I have no reason to believe T5 has fewer total international passengers than T1.

"Terminal 5 houses all of O'Hare's international arrivals (excluding flights from American Airlines and United Airlines from destinations with U.S. border preclearance.) Other destinations with U.S. border preclearance, including flights operated by Aer Lingus and Etihad Airways, arrive at Terminal 5, but are treated as domestic arrivals. With the exception of select Star Alliance and Oneworld carriers that board from Terminal 1 or Terminal 3 respectively, all non-U.S. carriers except Air Canada depart from Terminal 5. Terminal 5 has 21 gates (9 to be added) on one concourse"

But again, I don't have any numbers.
You are talking about international arrivals. I was talking about international departures.

For international departures: you can essentially take off from any terminal or concourse - it really doesn't have to originate from T5. There's no customs clearance needed when you are leaving the U.S., only upon arrival do you have to go through T5. Hence United, Lufthansa, and other Star Alliance carriers depart from T1 Concourse C.

I don't have the hard numbers either but I am fairly confident given the number of international destinations that United serves, along with the fact that ORD is UA's hub airport. Also the reason why United's newest Polaris Premium Lounge for international Business/First Class passengers is located in T1 Concourse C and not T5. http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.c...lounge-review/

Old 09-08-2017, 02:54 PM

4,675 posts, read 7,401,948 times
Quote:
You are talking about international arrivals. I was talking about international departures.
I was talking about both departures and arrivals, especially since I've only departed internationally from T1 C once, but every other time I've both departed from and arrived at T5. It seemed you were actually more interested in arrivals judged by:

Quote:
- Outdated terminal interior - everything in the concourses could use a complete revamp to bring them into 21st century. Just imagine someone disembarking from a 10+ hour flight from first-rate airports like Singapore Changi or Shanghai PVG and their first impression of America is a loud, old, and overflowing terminal with torn away seat fabrics. Been there, done that, and you could literally see the somewhat incredulous expressions on foreign visitors' faces when they emerge from the jet bridge.
Bottom line, I agree C and B concourses could use to be updated, but I personally think T5 is fine.

Old 09-08-2017, 03:08 PM

2,829 posts, read 3,173,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintainschaos View Post
Bottom line, I agree C and B concourses could use to be updated, but I personally think T5 is fine.
Yes. I think any traveler who has gone through ORD would agree with this statement. Far past due for a revamp.

Even T5 could use another modernization to bring it to par with other premier international hub airports.

Old 09-08-2017, 03:15 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,963,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyCarcetti View Post
You'll be happy to hear that BWI's main terminal thoroughfare is still named Friendship Road:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ba...!4d-76.6121893

I wish that they went back to the name Friendship International Airport

Old 09-08-2017, 03:20 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,961,697 times
That being said, very impressed with what Boston and Washington DC-Baltimore have been doing in the last 5 years. Adding so many new service destinations, luring plenty of foreign airliners, and constantly improving on what they already had in place. Boston especially, really good stuff over the years.

Really good work, should be commended. Chicago, Dallas, Houston, Miami, Seattle, and Los Angeles have all been uber impressive in that regard as well over the years. Atlanta hasn't added a great deal of foreign airlines over the years (though it has added 2-3) but its total portfolio of service destinations, like the aforementioned cities, is spectacular nonetheless. Most of these cities have airports that are either being expanded or upgraded, billions being poured into it. Wonderful stuff, wonderful stuff.

Great work from all these places.

Old 09-08-2017, 09:16 PM

504 posts, read 616,136 times
The international terminal at Logan is also about to undergo a major expansion with essentially another terminal sized addition being built onto the current international terminal.

Old 09-08-2017, 10:10 PM

801 posts, read 1,513,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
London+Paris+Amsterdam=327 million
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
Interesting, I thought that corridor would be close, didn't thing about how close Amsterdam was. If that's the case I guess you could add Brussels etc.
Those numbers look even more impressive when you consider all of the train links between the cities as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City