Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Big Ten vs Pac-12 College Towns
Big Ten (Madison, Ann Arbor, Iowa City, Lincoln, Evanston) 48 55.81%
Pac-12 (Boulder, Berkeley, Eugene, Tempe, Corvallis) 38 44.19%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2017, 04:55 PM

368 posts, read 453,819 times

Advertisements

Big 10 over Pac 12 ... But I much rather ACC over anything Charlottesville Va, College Park Md, & NC Tar heels (forgot the citys name lol) are perfect college towns
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2017, 05:10 PM

1,851 posts, read 2,170,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmanshouse View Post
I went to Iowa.

Iowa City ranks high in the college town rankings. Not everyone can be Madison, but Iowa City is one of the best atmospheres in the midwest.

#9 overall on this list

The 50 Best College Towns In America - Best College Reviews

I'd put it behind Madison and Ann Arbor, well ahead of Champaign, W Lafayette or Lincoln. Probably more in line with a State College or Bloomington.

It was an awesome place to go to school.
That list has Champaign at 13!

I also loved my time in Champaign and I think it was also a great place to go to school, but I understand there are nicer campuses. I think Champaign is tremendously underrated and improving, but it's still not Madison or Evanston. I personally feel Iowa City is well behind those and more in line with Champaign, etc.

Old 05-27-2017, 07:20 AM

6,359 posts, read 8,829,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishIllini View Post
Did you go to Iowa, lol? I've never heard of anyone putting Iowa City up there with Madison or Ann Arbor. Iowa City is nice, but I personally don't think it's any better than Lincoln, Champaign, East Lansing, or West Lafayette.
guilty of starting college in Iowa City. And I, like others, love the place. Great college town.

Old 05-27-2017, 02:22 PM

2,088 posts, read 1,972,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spreadofknowledge View Post
Big 10 over Pac 12 ... But I much rather ACC over anything Charlottesville Va, College Park Md, & NC Tar heels (forgot the citys name lol) are perfect college towns
UNC is in Chapel Hill. College Park is a Big Ten town. Maryland moved to the Big Ten a few years ago.

Old 05-27-2017, 03:52 PM

10,105 posts, read 7,399,177 times
Chapel Hill is a suburb of Raleigh-Durham. It isn't a college town in my view.

Old 05-27-2017, 08:06 PM

17,790 posts, read 13,682,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
I linked to the comment and quoted it.

OK, I found it. Yes, Pullman has a creek which is as creeks go, not terribly impressive. The WSU campus is ok. UI is greener and less cramped in it's inner core academic campus.

My point was that I don't think most students who go to WSU decided to go there because Moscow was 8 miles away.

Don't disagree. Just that without Moscow and UI the experience would not be near as good. Two party/dining districts, two sets of community activities, two sets of campus activities readily available to each community.

I also don't agree Moscow is a prettier town. I think that they both look very similar. I like Pullman better because of the hills. Pullman is also closer to a lake area on the Snake River.

Ok, if hills are your thing, then Pullman wins. However, if grand old neighborhoods with big trees are your thing Moscow wins hands down. Pullman just flat doesn't have that. There just isn't an old pre WWII part of Pullman residential inventory to speak of like Moscow has in spades.

Moscow is surrounded by wheatfields too. Moscow Mountain is a tall mountain in the middle of wheatfields.

Having actually been there and not just looking on a computer, Moscow Mountain is just a few miles from Moscow and you have much better views of it there. However, the mall walk on top of the hill at WSU has good vistas. It's sort of like Mt. Oread at Kansas.

I also don't think average student at WSU has any interaction with Uni of Idaho.

The universities have a program where students actually go to the other school for classes. Remember it's less than 10 minutes from one to the other. I know that the students get together for parties to some degree. And WSU students and UI students party and attend events at the other campus. That's just a fact. Deny it all you want.

UI had an undergraduate enrollment of 9100. That is smaller than the College of Charleston. WSU has an undergrad enrollment around 25,000 and total enrollment around 30,000. In my view, this makes WSU a much more fun place to be if you are younger coupled with the fact that it has better sports.

I will grant you that other than going to bars and restaurants in Moscow (which WSU students do), it's more the other way around for big parties and such. UI kids making the 10 minute no stop light trip to WSU. But I'm sure some WSU students might got to some UI events as well if they have an interest.

I think Pullman would be better off if Moscow wasn't nearby because there would be more stuff in Pullman. Stores locate over in Moscow because Washington state has a very high sales tax because it has no income tax.

Again you get double the activities the way it is now. There wouldn't be as much going on if only WSU was there.

You don't seem to care for true college towns.

I don't know if this is supposed to be a dig but it made me laugh. If you wan't to have a realistic opinion about Pullman/Moscow I suggest you take the time to go up there. I have done so several times because I like college towns.

OK, playing by your assumptions, Pullman (by itself) is down with West Lafeyette in the pecking order from the places I've seen in PAC 12/B1G. But it depends on whether you include Lafeyette in with West Lafeyette or not.

BTW, here is what that person you linked on that thread had to say in our dialogue after I countered her claims.

Quote:
Pullman is hillier and has a creek running through it.

THIS is "the creek"! LOL. To the right of the bridge is an pedestrian entrance to downtown Pullman.

Last edited by eddie gein; 05-27-2017 at 08:59 PM..

Old 05-27-2017, 09:56 PM

2,088 posts, read 1,972,068 times
Rating the ones I've been to, in terms of College Town experience, which is not the same as the the order I would rate them to live in:
1. Madison
2. Ann Arbor
3. Berkeley
4. Bloomington
5. Iowa City
6. State College, PA
7. Evanston
8. Tucson
9. East Lansing
10. Seattle
11. Columbus
12. Westwood
13. Minneapolis
14. Tempe
15. University Park in LA

Old 05-27-2017, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
My original comment, to which you responded, was I don't think most people who attend WSU or otherwise chose to live there did so because Moscow or Uni of Idaho. I understand that you think Moscow is much better and you seem to think UI is a big attraction for WSU students.

My point was about what people who live in Pullman think about Pullman vs Moscow, and how they view UI, not what you think about it as somebody who lives in Oklahoma. Your opinion doesn't refute my point. A majority of them may well see Moscow as much better as you do. I would be surprised by that though. You seem to think a 'realistic' opinion must be your opinion. I've seen you say things about my college town and college that I don't think are accurate.

You talk about how you visited the two towns, but you have stated several times Pullman is surrounded by wheatfields and Moscow isn't, but a quick look at Google maps street views confirms Moscow is also surrounded by wheat fields. A large hill north of town doesn't change that.

You talked up the 'mall' in Moscow but it is not what I would even call a mall. I don't see how that was even worth pointing out as as advantage, given Pullman isn't far away. Being a little closer to a Ross or Bed Bath and Beyond doesn't seem like a big deal to me. A person who likes shopping would probably be miserable in both of these towns.

I have a hard time believing that Pullman doesn't have any established neighborhoods, or that Moscow parks blow Pullman parks out of the water, etc, as you have asserted. I would love to see some WSU/Pullman people weigh in on that.

Last edited by ClemVegas; 05-27-2017 at 11:20 PM..

Old 05-28-2017, 05:15 AM

17,790 posts, read 13,682,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
My original comment, to which you responded, was I don't think most people who attend WSU or otherwise chose to live there did so because Moscow or Uni of Idaho.

I would agree. Moscow, UI are just a bonus once they get there. Double the bars, restaurants, etc. And even academically.....there's this.

Quote:
Cooperative Courses with the University of Idaho
Cooperative courses between Washington State University and the University
of Idaho provide enriched educational opportunities for students of both
universities and allow better utilization of supporting resources such as libraries
and laboratories. The sharing of faculty and facilities fosters the exchange of
ideas and enhances academic ties between the two communities
A student at one university can take classes at the other one in a pretty seamless fashion. Again, a bonus for WSU students.

Quote:
I have a hard time believing that Pullman doesn't have any established neighborhoods, or that Moscow parks blow Pullman parks out of the water, etc, as you have asserted. I would love to see some WSU/Pullman people weigh in on that.
I never said a thing about Parks. Pullman does have some nice parks. I hope somebody from Pullman would weigh in on my "old neighborhood" comment. Again I saw some really nice maybe late '50s-60's neighborhoods on the downtown side of Pioneer Hill, but not much housing stock prior to that. They had a really bad flood there in the late 40s that may have affected this.

Anyway, a couple more comments from people who actually live there from off the net.

Quote:
Coincidentally life events moved us from Chicago to Moscow, ID about 6 months ago. About to take off on a full day of flights so I only have time for a few points below.
Short version is this: Moscow is much more of a town, while Pullman feels like much more of a college town. Housing market in both is very tight (we are actually closing on a place in Moscow in 2 days). Seems to be more new construction in Moscow but this is also happening in Pullman. Cost of living is pretty much negligible since the two are only 7-8 miles apart. To me lifestyle is much better in Moscow due to the walkability of the place, closeness to Moscow Mountain for trail running, better views (even though they are only 8 miles apart in Moscow you can see mountains, in Pullman it's very much the Palouse region), etc.
Quote:
If WSU were to somehow fold up shop, Pullman would quickly dry up and blow away, whereas some semblance of Moscow would still persist without U of ID.
To butcher the famous quote, "There's no 'there' there in Pullman" (aside from Wazzu).
But I really wish you could take a trip up there. It's fun going back and forth to the two towns and campuses since you can do so in 10 minutes time.

I'll rephrase my premise one other way. I'm pretty familiar with Stillwater, OK since I grew up 40 minutes from there. Stillwater is similar to Pullman. Without Moscow, I would give the edge to Stillwater/OSU. A slight edge. If you were to view Pullman/Moscow and the two Universities collectively, I don't think this is even a contest. Pullman/Moscow is significantly better.

Anyway, I'm going to bow out of this thread as it's not supposed to be a Pullman/Moscow thread. I'm sure we will quickly find another college town thread to argue about.

Last edited by eddie gein; 05-28-2017 at 05:56 AM..

Old 05-28-2017, 10:52 AM

Ok, I don't know why you keep repeating your assertion Moscow is better. Everybody understands that is your opinion. You responded to me on this thread, I never had any desire to debate you on it. You are very insistent that Moscow is much better and IU is a big deal for WSU students.

It is odd that you are so insistent Moscow is much better despite pointing out Pullman is only 10 minutes away from Moscow. Even if you are right, it doesn't seem to be a significant point given the proximity of Pullman to Moscow.

As I've pointed out, your perspective is one of a person who lives in neither town and never attended WSU.

I don't understand why a person who isn't planning to move to that area would take a trip there, and is suggesting that I do the same.

I saw this article about the WSU-UI football 'rivalry'.

Apparently the UI head football coach lives in Pullman near WSU's football coach. http://www.spokesman.com/stories/201...andals-take-a/

Last edited by ClemVegas; 05-28-2017 at 11:39 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City