Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-26-2013, 12:28 PM

1,110 posts, read 1,661,851 times

Advertisements

Thought I'd ought to leave this here as well.. especially since it's peak application season.

As football season hits it's peak, I thought I'd drop this here. I'm a big football fan, but it seems these tables are new to Wikipidea. I checked the sources, and they're good - very helpful resource. Many parents denounce "football" schools due to uneducated rumors, assumptions or flat out incorrect data.

Glad to see these tables up. Click on the averages to be routed to academic tables for other conferences.

Measures include: 6-year graduation rate, freshman retention rate, SAT score, rank, endowment and research expenditure - also included is the national average

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_10...demic_measures

thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2013, 02:29 PM

3,281 posts, read 6,279,618 times
Not a huge surprise to me, but interesting information no less. The Big Ten is the best overall collection of large (i.e. national university) postsecondary institutions outside of the Ivy League (duh!) and the lesser-known University Athletic Association (including the likes of University of Chicago, Carnegie-Mellon, Washington University, etc.)

Old 11-26-2013, 08:21 PM

1,110 posts, read 1,661,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevelander17 View Post
Not a huge surprise to me, but interesting information no less. The Big Ten is the best overall collection of large (i.e. national university) postsecondary institutions outside of the Ivy League (duh!) and the lesser-known University Athletic Association (including the likes of University of Chicago, Carnegie-Mellon, Washington University, etc.)
University of Washington, University of Wisconsin, University of Georgia and Penn State are way underrated.

Old 11-28-2013, 04:09 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times
^^Actually, the first two are very highly regarded out here in the west. The other two, not so much. Frankly, how Penn State gets so highly is a mystery to me. They obviously rank highly in the things US News is looking for.

Old 12-01-2013, 12:24 PM

2,309 posts, read 3,851,814 times
i find it interesting that only 1 of 3 kids from nebraska come back for their second year. also at kentucky only half of the incoming class graduates in fewer than 6 years. 6 years!!!! are you kidding me? !!!

Old 12-01-2013, 12:25 PM

2,309 posts, read 3,851,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefRamsey View Post
University of Washington, University of Wisconsin, University of Georgia and Penn State are way underrated.

some people i've worked with are UGA and Penn State grads and believe me those schools are rated appropriately if not possibly overrated.

Old 12-03-2013, 05:29 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,003,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenvillebuckeye View Post
i find it interesting that only 1 of 3 kids from nebraska come back for their second year. also at kentucky only half of the incoming class graduates in fewer than 6 years. 6 years!!!! are you kidding me? !!!
Various states have different standards that they aim for in this respect. States widely vary in the number of community colleges that are available as options. Some states admit virtually everybody as freshmen, and relatively few of them make the grade to advance to second year. The upside is that it maximized the number of HS graduates who get a shot at higher education.

For example, when I went to LSU, I think there was only one 2-year college in Louisiana, so LSU admitted almost everyone who graduated from high school, and flunked most of them out after one year.

I think the Nebraska figure was 2 out of 3 coming back. Nebraska has only one (non-Indian) community college and two public four-year colleges in the 400 mile expanse west of Columbus, and the second largest number of school districts in the USA (some with less than 100 students K-12), so not many options for freshmen from small schools to make a start in higher education. You can't compare that to the circumstances in Ohio or Indiana.

Last edited by jtur88; 12-03-2013 at 05:49 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education