Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best urban core
Boston 21 10.24%
Chicago 86 41.95%
DC 9 4.39%
Philadelphia 40 19.51%
San Francisco 17 8.29%
Toronto 32 15.61%
Voters: 205. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2017, 10:06 PM

149 posts, read 153,887 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by manitopiaaa View Post
1. Chicago
2. San Francisco
3. Philadelphia
4. Washington
5. Toronto
6. Boston
Probably the most accurate list.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2017, 11:44 PM

5,864 posts, read 15,240,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manitopiaaa View Post
1. Chicago
2. San Francisco
3. Philadelphia
4. Washington
5. Toronto
6. Boston
Anybody putting Toronto near the bottom just doesn't know Toronto. And to put it below DC and Philadelphia is completely absurd.

Old 05-25-2017, 05:11 AM

15,102 posts, read 15,873,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
Anybody putting Toronto near the bottom just doesn't know Toronto. And to put it below DC and Philadelphia is completely absurd.
Some of the criteria is really subjective though. Of course in numbers and density it would be absurd but there are subjective elements to the OPs list that I can see so that could balance the scale in favour of others for them. Like Vibrancy, Nightlife and some others I mean what really is 'vibrancy' - to some people it could mean stuff like historical vibrancy etc. Nightlife is also highly individual and subjective. Shopping - I don't know what type of shopping that people like so maybe that tips the scales for them depending on what they like to shop for. I've never been to Philly (I should change that this summer) and check it out. . I have heard good things about it. Someone said it is very 'Quaker' - Toronto is certainly not that word lol..

Old 05-25-2017, 07:54 AM

2,829 posts, read 3,173,463 times
Quote:
Ditto.

Old 05-25-2017, 08:49 AM

4,927 posts, read 14,213,400 times
Quote:
Who are you to judge what values and ideals that people look for in a downtown?

Ive noticed you are a habitual closet Philly hater who probably spent 2 minutes in Philly on a winters day and has labeled it a miscast ever since.

Perhaps people look at downtown Toronto's big shiny homogenous towers and its not their thing. Its possible they prefer Center City Phillys quaintness, walkability, human scale, and 3 century old architecture.

But I ask. Who are you to judge and speak for them?

Old 05-25-2017, 09:45 AM

14,020 posts, read 15,011,523 times
I kind of feel like its
Chicago/Toronto
SF
Boston/Philly/DC

with the first two and latter 3 just being personal preference.

Old 05-25-2017, 10:41 AM

5,864 posts, read 15,240,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post

Ive noticed you are a habitual closet Philly hater who probably spent 2 minutes in Philly on a winters day and has labeled it a miscast ever since.

Perhaps people look at downtown Toronto's big shiny homogenous towers and its not their thing. Its possible they prefer Center City Phillys quaintness, walkability, human scale, and 3 century old architecture.

Who's judging? Is it about favorite urban core or is it about which one has the most or is the best example out of those categories? Closeted Philadelphia hater is such a ridiculous thing for you to say. It clearly is not one of my top 10 favorite cities but hate is just dumb. As for Toronto it's not about homogenous skyscrapers but out of all the categories I put Toronto ahead of Philadelphia except for walkability. It's compact, quaint with narrow streets. 2 minutes in Philadelphia? No, I've been there over the years for the past 40 years. My last visit was Nov 2016. Have you been to Toronto?

Old 05-25-2017, 11:54 AM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,270,554 times
Quote:

Not really...

That poster ...Manitopiaaa.....is well know to not like Toronto ....regulars in the Canada forum all know.

I'm surprised ...even shocked....he didn't place Toronto dead last on his list.

Old 05-25-2017, 02:59 PM

Quote:

Problem with this is that your assumption that the 6.5 sq miles of T.O's DT is simply homogenous towers is not accurate.

This nabe actually straddles DT Toronto and is essentially minutes walk from the DT core.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZ2XF7cva3s

Last edited by fusion2; 05-25-2017 at 03:09 PM..

Old 05-25-2017, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMI View Post

I'm surprised ...even shocked....he didn't place Toronto dead last on his list.
LOL same here
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City