Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2009, 10:10 PM

229 posts, read 522,078 times

Advertisements

Do you think that medium-sized cities like Charlotte, Nashville, Kansas City, etc, could ever hold a super bowl. I know Jacksonville did but will it happen again.

Last edited by Kingsley; 05-14-2009 at 10:23 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2009, 10:17 PM

3,969 posts, read 13,702,022 times
I believe the NFL has certain minimum seating and hotel requirements for Super Bowls, thus eliminating many cities. Not sure what the exact figure is, but I think it is close to 80,000 seats. And Charlotte, Nashville, and Kansas City I'm pretty certain do not have enough hotel rooms to meet the NFL requirement. The Super Bowl also tends to be attracted to new stadiums. I'm sure the new stadium in Dallas (Arlington) will be a frequent host for decades to come. Oh, and with a few exceptions, they like warm weather.

Old 05-14-2009, 10:19 PM

2,114 posts, read 4,929,655 times
I think it is absolutely awful that the super bowl is only held in warm weather cities. It should be held at the home field of the team with the better record. With the way it is set up now a team like the Bucs or Cards could get home field without deserving it. Plus, bad weather is part of football.

Old 05-14-2009, 10:24 PM

3,969 posts, read 13,702,022 times
Yep, the only cold cities that have hosted a Super Bowl are Minneapolis and Detroit, and guess what, both indoors! However, it is about attracting fans, and who wouldn't rather go to Florida or Southern California in February than Minneapolis or Detroit?

Old 05-15-2009, 02:15 AM

50 posts, read 148,749 times
Indianapolis.....its the same size Nashville, and Charlotte pretty much, for the record Jacksonville got bashed by the media after the Superbowl was held there.

Indy wins 2012 Super*Bowl - Stampede Blue

Old 05-15-2009, 05:08 AM

14,256 posts, read 27,018,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pw72 View Post
Yep, the only cold cities that have hosted a Super Bowl are Minneapolis and Detroit, and guess what, both indoors! However, it is about attracting fans, and who wouldn't rather go to Florida or Southern California in February than Minneapolis or Detroit?
I agree. I would HATE to one of those freezing tundra super bowls up there. Thats why MOST superbowls are held in the sunbelt.

Old 05-15-2009, 05:11 AM

14,256 posts, read 27,018,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWereRabbit View Post
I think it is absolutely awful that the super bowl is only held in warm weather cities. It should be held at the home field of the team with the better record. With the way it is set up now a team like the Bucs or Cards could get home field without deserving it. Plus, bad weather is part of football.
Thats VERY rare that a team will have home field at one there host city superbowls. The closest I remeber was the Raiders against the bucs in 03, when it was at the rose bowl in Pasadena, about 6hrs south of there home field. That was the closest that I remeber.

Old 05-15-2009, 05:21 AM

1,750 posts, read 3,401,312 times
Actually, no team has ever played in the superbowl at their own stadium.

Old 05-15-2009, 06:52 AM

2,138 posts, read 6,334,717 times
The size of the city doesn't matter, but rather the size of the stadium, the number of luxury boxes in the stadium, and the number of hotel rooms in the host city. It's of no surprise that most of the cities that have hosted Super Bowls are also cities that are accustomed to hosting a number of large conventions every year.

Old 05-15-2009, 07:09 AM

20,533 posts, read 33,662,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Thats VERY rare that a team will have home field at one there host city superbowls. The closest I remeber was the Raiders against the bucs in 03, when it was at the rose bowl in Pasadena, about 6hrs south of there home field. That was the closest that I remeber.
Actually the game was in San Diego. But point taken.

Quote:
While they should be played in cold weather and in elements. I think it would be even dumber to play it in at the stadium of the team with the best record. Home field advantage has NEVER been a huge problem mostly because the average fan really can't attend a super bowl game because the tickets are so expensive. The Cardinals didn't have any home field advantage in Tampa this past February.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City