Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Des Moines or Albuquerque
Des Moines 19 41.30%
Tie 3 6.52%
Albuquerque 24 52.17%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2017, 12:55 PM

824 posts, read 713,393 times

Advertisements

I don't believe these two cities have ever been compared to each other before

Rate them based on these categories or anything else:

Downtown:

Neighborhoods outside of Downtown:

Entertainment:

Economy:

Suburbs:

Education:

Climate:

Suburbs:

Architecture:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2017, 03:55 PM

6,137 posts, read 3,864,079 times
I have been to both. I prefer Albuquerque by a wide margin, but I will say I enjoy the extreme summer lushness of Des Moines.

Downtown: Des Moines has the best downtown:

There is quite alot of business in downtown Des Moines, several different districts and the skyline is excellent for a city of it's size.
Albuquerque has a small very downtown for it's size, but the huge University of New Mexico is very close and the adjacent neighborhoods to the east are very nice around the university and very vibrant.

Neighborhoods: Albuquerque by far.

Albuquerque has alot of interesting areas mainly because of the huge university presence. There is the Nob Hill area and then the alot of interesting areas along Central Avenue which is like a better Colfax in Denver IMHO.

Des Moines neighborhoods in my opinion were not very nice. They have great suburbs, but the most of the eastern half of the city is blighted.

I noticed alot of the areas east of Drake University towards the West Des Moines are nice, so they have some very nice areas in Des Moines but most of the northern and eastern part of the city going through urban decay.

Entertainment: Albuquerque by far.

Albuquerque has more of a singles scene, known for good restaurants and has a very large university.
Des Moines has a small nightlife but it is a very married city, I was there for about a week and I felt very lonely as a single person.

Economy: Des Moines wins this as it has a much better economy, but Albuquerque has a better economy then people think. I looked into the economy and New Mexico has had a never-ending economic issue, Albuquerque seems to have alot of government, university, medical jobs. There are also alot of call-centers in Albuquerque.

Suburbs: Des Moines wins this as it has very nice suburbs, Albuquerque has one big suburb called Rio Rancho which is decent but I thinK Des Moines has really, nice, clean suburbs.

Climate: Albuquerque has fantastic weather. Mild Winters and Mild Summers. Des Moines has bitter cold and snowy artic winters and hot and humid summers. Also the most moderate season is Spring with lots of heavy rain.

I prefer Albuquerque over Des Moines by a wide margin. The weather is really awful in Des Moines, the taxes are extremely high and they don't get anything for it.

I like the people in Albuquerque much better then Des Moines.

Albuquerque is more laid-back, polite and people pretty much are fairly independent minded. Alot of very interesting people there when I have taken vacations there, very interesting characters.

Des Moines was a surprise. I found the people there extremely close-minded, unfriendly, cliquish. I thought the people of Des Moines were rude to be honest. For some reason, I don't know what it is I find people instantly better when I cross into Minnesota.

Old 05-30-2017, 10:59 PM

4,399 posts, read 4,293,235 times
ABQ better weather and scenery are enough reasons for me.

Old 06-01-2017, 12:38 PM

1,778 posts, read 2,887,037 times
I have been to both also, and depends on what your personal preferences are. The climates, foliage, vibe, culture, even size are almost polar opposites. Both cities are pleasant enough, so my choice would be a toss-up.

Old 06-05-2017, 06:25 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,383,197 times
I prefer ABQ

Old 06-05-2017, 08:32 PM

11,103 posts, read 7,159,415 times
ABQ is more comfortable, but Des Moines is more lush (dense and wooded) and shaded. Of course, climate and scenery won't pay the bills or help you connect and fit in. You have to focus on jobs and culture for that.

Old 06-05-2017, 08:51 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,712,713 times
Albuquerque wins in almost all areas you mentioned. Des Moines is still a good place to live if you want a decent amount of amenities, low cost of living, nice people, and dislike a desert climate.

Old 06-06-2017, 07:55 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,064,596 times
Des Moines for it's Midwestern Values and nearby bison

Old 06-06-2017, 11:10 AM

146 posts, read 223,611 times
I like driving through ALBQ, very scenic and it gives off a wild west vibe.
Beautiful area, but the city itself doesn't feel or look like a real city to me.
It has a certain busy feel, but the built environment is ugly and corny.

Des Moines feels and looks like a real city.
Des Moines has a real downtown and it is blowing up even more.
I'm impressed with the cleanliness and attention to details - the bridges, the Capitol area, etc.
Agreed that DM is more family-oriented and the singles scene cannot match ALBQ.
However I find Iowans better educated, more articulate and friendly.

That being said I would still choose ALBQ because of the scenery, weather and younger vibe.
ALBQ has a lot of potential, I doubt it will ever be fully realized.

Old 06-06-2017, 11:22 AM

5,103 posts, read 8,611,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post

Des Moines neighborhoods in my opinion were not very nice. They have great suburbs, but the most of the eastern half of the city is blighted.

I noticed a lot of the areas east of Drake University towards the West Des Moines are nice, so they have some very nice areas in Des Moines but most of the northern and eastern part of the city going through urban decay.
No, the whole eastern half of the city (nor the north end) is not blighted. Granted, there are neighborhoods that are still rough, but there has been a lot of renovation around the state fair grounds, especially in the last two years.

If you haven't visited lately, the growth here is amazing!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City