Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2017, 01:13 PM

17 posts, read 43,237 times

Advertisements

I currently live in SO Cal and want to move to either TX or FL I am 46 y/o single female. I take care of my 83 y/o mother who will be moving with me., I also have a 4 y/o rescue dog - white boxer. My career has been in the financial area - brokerage operations. But I am willing to move outside the industry.

I am looking for an affordable - low crime area. Since I don't have a job line dup - I will need to rent first and then buy in a year. My mom is on dialysis and has recently been diagnosed with multiple myeloma. SO we will need to live near Dialysis center - Davita which is pretty much everywhere

Can anyone give me Pros/ Cons of Austin Dallas vs Tampa - job wise , climate , crime.
I would love to hear from people that have lived in both states and why they stayed or left.

I have been looking in the Round Rock Austin area/ Irving in Texas and in South Tampa in FL

Thank you!

Last edited by JMT; 05-31-2017 at 02:26 PM.. Reason: Discussing moderator actions is against the TOS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2017, 01:27 PM

23 posts, read 42,654 times
I currently live in central Texas (Fort Hood) now, but I have family in both the Austin and Dallas.I spent my first 30 years on the planet a little south of Tampa, so I know all of the areas quite well.

Round Rock is just north of Austin. You will experience gridlock daily if you are commenting from downtown. Austin is definitely a cool, fun town with tons of cultural activities. It's hip, trendy and young. There are many outdoors activities, parks, and events. It has a very laid back vibe that I really love, but it's not for everyone. The temperature in the summer is very hot, especially July and August, but there are lakes, swimming holes, and pools to cool of in. Although, your mother may not be able to hike or walk to too many of these. The winters are pretty mild, but the allergies are bad year around. Austin has very good hospitals and good paying jobs in the tech field and state government. I'm not sure about financial, but there is plenty of money in Austin, so that can't be bad for banks.

Dallas is freaking huge, so knowing where your a job location is should drive where you want to live. Irving is pretty central and close to the airport. I've only driven through it, so I don't know much about the neighborhoods or schools in Irving. The Dallas Fort Worth area is the size of a small state, so you don't want to get a place first and then end up having to commute over an hour with traffic to the other side of Dallas. Financially it might be your best bet because they have plenty of good paying jobs and corporations. Heck, they even have a financial district. I know people who don't have degrees and manage to make a decent living in the DFW area. Traffic is bad. The weather is the same as Austin in summer, and a little colder in the winter. Dallas does have more trouble with smog and air quality, but the allergies aren't as bad (go figure). Austin is hilly and Dallas is flat prairie land. They do have lakes, but it isn't as outdoorsy as Austin. They have tons of shopping and restaurants. There also have major sporting events, museums, amusement parts ect. There is something for everyone in Dallas.

Everyone is Texas is super friendly, thats one of the many reasons I love this state, but I do find Dallas to be a little more image conscious than Austin.

Now for Tampa, let me preface this by telling you that I have only flown in to the Tampa area a few times since I came to Texas. I'm originally from about an hour south. I left Florida when the economy sank in 2008, and I have only been back to visit a few times. Each time I do, I'm surprised about how much has changed. So somebody with more recent experience might have better insight about the economy, hosing and job markets.
As far as your mom goes, I think she would like Tampa the best. Although it's hot and swampy and humid in the summer, and by summer, I mean March to November, they have great beaches (Clearwater, St. Pete ect) and things aren't as crowded as they are in Austin and Dallas. Tampa has all the convience a big city without the hugeness of a Texas-sized big city. There are plenty of cultural and historic places and it's tied to 2 colleges and McDill AFB, so you'll be able to find a diverse population of people. Sometimes, Floridians have been accused of being not particularly intellectually curious and narrow minded. This isn't always the case, but still the stereotype exist for a reason. Also, Florida just has a large population of retired people, so their is more available for older people. My mother-in-law is a 72 year old widow and she lives in the Dallas area and she's pretty lonely. Most people in Austin and Dallas are younger.
The down side is that there really are fewer good paying jobs. I should hope that Tampa would be better, but I would really research it and make sure you have ample savings should you move without something secured. Where I am from employers rely heavily on the "good ole boy network" so unless you know somebody, or have a connection, you may have a long and disappointing job hunt (hopefully not the case in Tampa, but I would be prepared).

I wish you the best of luck on your decision. All are great places with many good points.

Old 06-01-2017, 09:12 PM

51 posts, read 51,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h8Cali View Post
I currently live in SO Cal and want to move to either TX or FL I am 46 y/o single female. I take care of my 83 y/o mother who will be moving with me., I also have a 4 y/o rescue dog - white boxer. My career has been in the financial area - brokerage operations. But I am willing to move outside the industry.

I am looking for an affordable - low crime area. Since I don't have a job line dup - I will need to rent first and then buy in a year. My mom is on dialysis and has recently been diagnosed with multiple myeloma. SO we will need to live near Dialysis center - Davita which is pretty much everywhere

Can anyone give me Pros/ Cons of Austin Dallas vs Tampa - job wise , climate , crime.
I would love to hear from people that have lived in both states and why they stayed or left.

I have been looking in the Round Rock Austin area/ Irving in Texas and in South Tampa in FL

Thank you!
Austin and Dallas will have the better job market. Tampa Bay and Florida in general are more retirement areas, jobs (unless we're talking hospitality) are an afterthought.

I can't compare the climates since you didn't specify what you liked. In general all 3 will be very hot in the summer, Tampa will be more humid and have longer summers. Dallas gets quite a bit colder in the winter than either Tampa or Austin. Tampa will have the warmest winters.

I'm not a big fan of Dallas, but it's a large city and you could easily find your niche there.

Between Austin and Tampa Bay (i'm including all the cities in this area), it basically comes down to preferences. Austin is hipper, cooler, the job market is better, and I feel the nightlife is as well. Tampa Bay is all about beaches and water activities and warm (sort of) winters.

You will have to pick which is more important to you. I can't put my finger on it but Austin has the most SoCalish vibe out of the other 3. Maybe that helps or hurts, depending on why you're leaving SoCal.

Honestly though, if you don't have a job lined up, why're you're restricting your search to those 3 cities?

Old 06-02-2017, 10:13 AM

Thank you for your responses. I really so appreciate them! I am pretty much stuck on where to live. I am originally from NJ and did live in AZ for a couple of years before moving to SoCal. I don't want to go back to the cold or AZ. When it comes down to it--I am looking for a warmer climate with affordable housing. A place where I can not only support myself but also save some $$. I am more of an introvert - so nightlife doesn't matter to be much. I am more concerned about safe/ friendly area. I don't want to be out in the boondocks either-- need a grocery within a short driving distance. As far as politics -- really want to get away from the CA thinking. That is one turn off for me with regards to Austin. If anyone has any other areas that you would think would be better let me know. I am open to anywhere really.

Old 06-02-2017, 10:33 AM

603 posts, read 931,075 times
Quote:
Thank you for your responses. I really so appreciate them! I am pretty much stuck on where to live. I am originally from NJ and did live in AZ for a couple of years before moving to SoCal. I don't want to go back to the cold or AZ. When it comes down to it--I am looking for a warmer climate with affordable housing. A place where I can not only support myself but also save some $$. I am more of an introvert - so nightlife doesn't matter to be much. I am more concerned about safe/ friendly area. I don't want to be out in the boondocks either-- need a grocery within a short driving distance. As far as politics -- really want to get away from the CA thinking. That is one turn off for me with regards to Austin. If anyone has any other areas that you would think would be better let me know. I am open to anywhere really.
Go wherever you want but don't let politics scare you off from Austin. You said you were looking more at Round Rock area. Round Rock and all of Williamson County is quite republican. The core counties of all three metros (Dallas, Travis, and Hillsborough) all voted democrat.

Old 06-02-2017, 11:29 AM

1,726 posts, read 1,719,842 times
If you want to distance yourself from California politics and the general mindset, don't move to Austin, which is a very popular relocation destination among liberal West Coast transplants.

Dallas and Phoenix tend to attract more conservative Californians; however, those metropolitan areas are becoming increasingly racially and ethnically diverse to the point where they will most likely mirror the major California metro areas in terms of demographics within a generation.

Coastal cities where the non-Hispanic white populations are growing, such as Charleston, Jacksonville or Tampa, are better alternatives for the long-haul, IMO.

Old 06-02-2017, 11:41 AM

2,134 posts, read 2,115,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert_from_back_East View Post
If you want to distance yourself from California politics and the general mindset, don't move to Austin, which is a very popular relocation destination among liberal West Coast transplants.

Dallas and Phoenix tend to attract more conservative Californians; however, those metropolitan areas are becoming increasingly racially and ethnically diverse to the point where they will most likely mirror the major California metro areas in terms of demographics within a generation.

Coastal cities where the non-Hispanic white populations are growing, such as Charleston, Jacksonville or Tampa, are better alternatives for the long-haul, IMO.
The city of Dallas DOES NOT attract conservatives. The suburbs? Yes. But suburban Austin is just as conservative as well (e.g. Round Rock, Georgetown). Please know what you're talking about. It's really so simple. City -- liberal, suburb -- conservative.

Old 06-02-2017, 12:22 PM

EEKKK! I didn't mean to open a can of worms here on politics I am just tired of the HIGH prices in CA and tired of the Kardashian mind set. YES I know Kardashians are everywhere - but if you lived in CA you would know what I mean. I am 46 y/o - I am not looking to hang out in bars or party. Just want a steady job and not have to work 2 jobs to make ends meet. WHen it comes down to it - I want to stop renting and be settled some place. I am freightened of the "age discrimination" that is starting to happen already. So the faster I am settled the better.

Old 06-02-2017, 12:39 PM

2,134 posts, read 2,115,821 times
Quote:
EEKKK! I didn't mean to open a can of worms here on politics I am just tired of the HIGH prices in CA and tired of the Kardashian mind set. YES I know Kardashians are everywhere - but if you lived in CA you would know what I mean. I am 46 y/o - I am not looking to hang out in bars or party. Just want a steady job and not have to work 2 jobs to make ends meet. WHen it comes down to it - I want to stop renting and be settled some place. I am freightened of the "age discrimination" that is starting to happen already. So the faster I am settled the better.
Out of the 3 selected cities/metros, Dallas would be the worst when it comes to the "Kardashians" or materialistic lifestyle. Not on SoCal's or Miami's level though, but definitely more noticeable than Austin or Tampa. On the flipside as one other poster pointed out, Dallas (city & metro) is large enough that you can find your niche and avoid those "types" altogether. Dallas would also be the best option for any job in the financial sector.

Old 06-02-2017, 09:33 PM

12,824 posts, read 9,541,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTXman34 View Post
The city of Dallas DOES NOT attract conservatives. The suburbs? Yes. But suburban Austin is just as conservative as well (e.g. Round Rock, Georgetown). Please know what you're talking about. It's really so simple. City -- liberal, suburb -- conservative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City