Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Memphis vs. Jackson, better city of choice over all!
MEMPHIS, TN. 47 87.04%
JACKSON, MS. 7 12.96%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2017, 07:49 PM

37,877 posts, read 41,910,477 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
That's because, I believe, you're reading too much into the comparison. Little Rock and Memphis aren't going to cleanly fit alongside each other on a stat or fact sheet...

Black Little Rock and Black Memphis are very, very similar. I don't know much about the white communities of either, and yes, Memphis has a larger and more locally relevant black community than Little Rock, but they are very similar elsewhere...

I think Little Rock obviously has different topography, and it's historically been a much smaller city, so it doesn't have the cultural cache as Memphis, but make no mistake, Memphis is Little Rock's big brother, and for years, probably centuries, Little Rock has sought to emulate Memphis. Memphis is "the city" to most Arkansans (as well as Dallas, though I'd say proximity gives Memphis a noticeable, though small, pull)...

I'm not sure how to describe the connections and/or parallels in a way that doesn't get dismissed as "oh, that's just Black America". But as I've stated many times, the people I claim as my parents, my (step)father is from Little Rock, and (step)mother from South Memphis (by way of Upstate New York). I'm probably more familiar with LR and Memphis as a pairing than anybody on this board...

Jackson is also a little brother to Memphis, in similar and different ways. It is also akin to Little Rock in a manner that could be described as "cousin cities". There is a connection between the two that has been around forever. It's not as strong as either's ties to Memphis, but this is all researchable and anybody from either city would know this...

And again I lol at people who don't Little Rock is playing near the bottom of its tier, as well. Little Rock and Jackson aren't truly peers, though many people at first glance might consider them so. Little Rock is larger, healthier, cleaner, more economically stable, larger economy...Little Rock fits into the same regional tier as Columbia/Greenville/Charleston/Greensboro/Durham/Knoxville. And it's playing at the Bottom of that tier, no question, bottom two, easily. Jackson is really not close to competing with any of these cities...

But Little Rock has outgrown its former regional tier, Jackson's tier, which would include (to name a few) cities like Lafayette, Newport News, Fayetteville (Ark.), Corpus Christi, Chattanooga, Fort Myers, and Augusta...and we all know Memphis regional and national tier. All three cities are towards the basement of their tier--score another commonality that's indicative of their sibling/cousin relationships lol...
I've noticed that we tend to tier cities a bit differently. For the most part, I put all MSAs with populations between 500K-1M in the same tier so most of the cities you mentioned are all in the same tier from my perspective.

But even accepting your tiering system, I don't see how LR performs near the bottom of its tier. For starters, it has a larger GDP than Greenville, Charleston, Columbia, and Knoxville and is just a smidge below Greensboro. It also has more F500 HQs than most of those cities. LR may not be growing quite as fast as some of those other cities, but I'm not sure on what basis you can say it's lagging. If it truly is, it definitely doesn't seem like it's by a lot and it's more of a photo finish-type situation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2017, 08:09 PM

2,029 posts, read 2,359,044 times
I am speaking as a Northerner who travelled several times to Memphis on business, and saw downtown Jackson on a driving vacation, only spending time at a Greek diner in downtown Jackson. I stayed in downtown Memphis at a new hotel in the Marriott chain, on the trolley line. At night the downtown area is so scary and so overrun by homeless that me and my co-workers called it the night of the living dead. The door to the hotel was locked when I arrived late one time, and the desk clerk was asleep. During the day, I witnessed altercations between the homeless, with one man knocking over a drunk woman in a wheelchair.

The Peabody hotel was somewhat entertaining with the ducks on the elevator, and Beale Street entertaining with some good blues music and some decent food. I could never live there though.

Downtown Jackson was pretty interesting I thought, very southern. But again, couldn't see myself ever living there, although more so than Memphis, which seems like a failing city. This is a comparison of two cities who I think have futures that are not the brightest, so in a way it is sad. I still cannot forget my experience with Memphis; even Elvis Presley Blvd. seemed tired and worn. I think that maybe the suburbs would have been better to see to get an overall picture of the city,but I was car less there. Just my impressions.

Old 06-03-2017, 08:15 PM

9,976 posts, read 5,673,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
Not use to seeing Memphis dominate a poll like this.
Even Justin Bieber can dominate a poll if you put him up against someone like Yoko Ono.

Old 06-03-2017, 08:35 PM

5,819 posts, read 5,622,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I've noticed that we tend to tier cities a bit differently. For the most part, I put all MSAs with populations between 500K-1M in the same tier so most of the cities you mentioned are all in the same tier from my perspective.

But even accepting your tiering system, I don't see how LR performs near the bottom of its tier. For starters, it has a larger GDP than Greenville, Charleston, Columbia, and Knoxville and is just a smidge below Greensboro. It also has more F500 HQs than most of those cities. LR may not be growing quite as fast as some of those other cities, but I'm not sure on what basis you can say it's lagging. If it truly is, it definitely doesn't seem like it's by a lot and it's more of a photo finish-type situation.
Lumping cities by strict population sets is mostly advantageous, but I do have a problem with it. For one, I can name MANY cities between 500k-1 million that are not on the same tier as Albany, New York, a former residence of mine. Using your criteria assumes that all cities the "same" size are equal, more or less, and couldn't be more wrong. Just to stay within topic, neither Little Rock nor Jackson are anywhere near Albany in a realistic sense, and any advantages they do have on Albany are minor and relatively of little value...

Likewise, a city like Omaha is below 1 million, yet you never hear anyone liken it to Little Rock. It's always "measured up"...Little Rock lags it's peer cities in terms of cultural activities and things to do. To keep it short, it has a tiny downtown, with only a handful of interesting neighborhoods, has a substantial portion of the city that is downright rural, relatively no urbanity (very, very low), offers low wages, has a relatively low educational attainment, is hyper-segregated, low diversity, low nightlife, low daylife, high violent crime, slightly above average racial tension, on and on...

All of these things in concert, are a net negative, and can can you say that about the other cities 'I' tier with it (that they are a net negative)? Little Rock has an endearing local culture, the people are nice, it has an interesting layout, and if one is the type who prefers slow pace, slow change, and has a lower middle class salary, you can have a very comfortable existence there. Every single city I named, I can name more in their favor in a head to head over Little Rock. It's close with Durham, but even Durham, with 170,000 fewer people, is a more rounded city. Greensboro, a city in not all that fond of, is a more rounded city...

Nobody has ever described Little Rock as "dynamic" because they can't, but Jackson is not even close to being as dynamic as Little Rock. Time in both reveals they are in different tiers...

Old 06-03-2017, 08:41 PM
_OT

2,183 posts, read 2,415,804 times
I will say, when I was driving through Downtown Jackson I was a bit surprised. Not saying I was blown away, but I didn't expect Downtown Jackson to have some pretty decent architecture.

Old 06-03-2017, 09:10 PM

37,877 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
Lumping cities by strict population sets is mostly advantageous, but I do have a problem with it. For one, I can name MANY cities between 500k-1 million that are not on the same tier as Albany, New York, a former residence of mine. Using your criteria assumes that all cities the "same" size are equal, more or less, and couldn't be more wrong. Just to stay within topic, neither Little Rock nor Jackson are anywhere near Albany in a realistic sense, and any advantages they do have on Albany are minor and relatively of little value...

Likewise, a city like Omaha is below 1 million, yet you never hear anyone liken it to Little Rock. It's always "measured up"...Little Rock lags it's peer cities in terms of cultural activities and things to do. To keep it short, it has a tiny downtown, with only a handful of interesting neighborhoods, has a substantial portion of the city that is downright rural, relatively no urbanity (very, very low), offers low wages, has a relatively low educational attainment, is hyper-segregated, low diversity, low nightlife, low daylife, high violent crime, slightly above average racial tension, on and on...

All of these things in concert, are a net negative, and can can you say that about the other cities 'I' tier with it (that they are a net negative)? Little Rock has an endearing local culture, the people are nice, it has an interesting layout, and if one is the type who prefers slow pace, slow change, and has a lower middle class salary, you can have a very comfortable existence there. Every single city I named, I can name more in their favor in a head to head over Little Rock. It's close with Durham, but even Durham, with 170,000 fewer people, is a more rounded city. Greensboro, a city in not all that fond of, is a more rounded city...

Nobody has ever described Little Rock as "dynamic" because they can't, but Jackson is not even close to being as dynamic as Little Rock. Time in both reveals they are in different tiers...
Eh, I think we tend to use different criteria when it comes to tiering cities. Also I tend to tier cities regionally; it's not exactly an apples to apples comparison in all respects when comparing Northern cities with Southern ones for obvious reasons.

But anyway, this thread isn't about Little Rock at all so I'll refrain from derailing it any further.

Quote:
Originally Posted by _OT View Post
I will say, when I was driving through Downtown Jackson I was a bit surprised. Not saying I was blown away, but I didn't expect Downtown Jackson to have some pretty decent architecture.
I was somewhat surprised too. Jackson has some real historic architectural gems, relatively well-preserved too.

Old 06-03-2017, 09:36 PM

163 posts, read 156,009 times
They are very similar cities and metro areas. Jackson is a smaller version of Memphis. They are both nearby go to cities of the Mississippi Delta with similar demographics and culture. Memphis wins hands down due to size. I like them both.

Old 06-04-2017, 05:13 AM

1,729 posts, read 1,889,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justabystander View Post
I am speaking as a Northerner who travelled several times to Memphis on business, and saw downtown Jackson on a driving vacation, only spending time at a Greek diner in downtown Jackson. I stayed in downtown Memphis at a new hotel in the Marriott chain, on the trolley line. At night the downtown area is so scary and so overrun by homeless that me and my co-workers called it the night of the living dead. The door to the hotel was locked when I arrived late one time, and the desk clerk was asleep. During the day, I witnessed altercations between the homeless, with one man knocking over a drunk woman in a wheelchair.

The Peabody hotel was somewhat entertaining with the ducks on the elevator, and Beale Street entertaining with some good blues music and some decent food. I could never live there though.

Downtown Jackson was pretty interesting I thought, very southern. But again, couldn't see myself ever living there, although more so than Memphis, which seems like a failing city. This is a comparison of two cities who I think have futures that are not the brightest, so in a way it is sad. I still cannot forget my experience with Memphis; even Elvis Presley Blvd. seemed tired and worn. I think that maybe the suburbs would have been better to see to get an overall picture of the city,but I was car less there. Just my impressions.
Everybody knows Graceland is in the Ghetto, You being a "Northerner" You probably where not aware. The Graceland Campus is nice but the surrounding area is sketchy by Tourist standards. Kinda similar to The Original Disneyland in Los Angeles, How it came to be surrounded by "Tacky" Shops and Businesses before Disney made the decision to head to Wide Open Central Florida at the time. Graceland is surrounded by Chicken Joints lol Pawn Shops, Tire Rim Shops, Used Car Shops, and the typical stores like Walgreens, a few banks, and clothing stores a ghetto mall and if you really know where you're going there's even a few strip clubs nearby on Brooks road, Too bad you didn't have a car though, so yea you didn't get to see the full picture of Memphis such as Mid Town, Southavan( North MS Suburb) Cordova ( Ikea, Cheesecake Factory, Dave and Buster's etc) and Germantown

Last edited by BlueRedTide; 06-04-2017 at 06:19 AM..

Old 06-04-2017, 10:53 AM

1,017 posts, read 1,490,987 times
If you took away everything fun to do in Memphis, as well as the nice areas of town like Central Gardens and East Memphis, you'd have Jackson MS.

A better comparison would be Jackson MS vs Jackson TN

Old 06-04-2017, 03:19 PM

561 posts, read 513,802 times
Quote:

Likewise, a city like Omaha is below 1 million, yet you never hear anyone liken it to Little Rock. It's always "measured up"..
Omaha is basically a 1 million metro at this point with its MSA at 925,000 and CSA at 961,000..If the Lincoln MSA is combined with Omaha when they redefine CSA's next year, the Omaha-Lincoln CSA will measure at larger than 1.3 million..

I'd say it's appropriate to "measure up" Omaha to that next tier, along with Tulsa and Albuquerque. All three are basically 1 million metros now..

Peace...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City