Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2017, 12:48 PM

21,637 posts, read 12,773,959 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
Thanks for sharing your experience. I've always heard Black Americans complain about racism in Boston but have always been intrigued by the culture there. Very different experience compared to St. Louis and Memphis where most Blacks are Black Americans.
People in Boston are generally cold and untrusting. Most black people beingg from the south see it as racist.

I know black people in Boston who don't know what the neighborhood two miles away looks like because they don't know anyone out there and feel they have no reason to go out there, most times if you mention another neighborhood that's 2/3 neighborhoods away (4/5) miles) people look at you like your speaking a foreign language and claim the utmost ignorance or tell you how that neighborhood is trash because of 1 or 2 anecdotes. Then you come up here where no one ever comes? Naw. Just naw-you're about to like this Boston robyou can get out homie. I remember I had a coworker from Atlanta/Miami who had went to school in boston suburba then came into our workplace which is 80% minorities raised in inner city Boston. We were just talking like 6 of us about ways the city could improve and what it's lacking. He took it one step too far when he sheepishly said I feel like Boston is a terrible place for black people.

Me: nawww, you just from Atlanta
Female coworker: ooo
Female coworker 2: Ima need you to relax
Male coworker: well you ain't gotta be here homie ya feel me, like you can go home big fella."
Female coworker 3: right? Like we're gonna need you to fall back.

*Light laughter/nervous laughter throughout*

He quit the job 2 months later to work at a black cultural organization in Roxbury. He still frequents Atlanta.

Blacks from others northern cities minus New York are used o the cohesiveness of all. Lack Americans. Boston is super different and takes more time to get used to. The racism is there on an institute ion all level and pretty prevalent. However on a face to face level it's no worse than anywhere. I find racial tension in Boston never gets as high as some other larger cities, mostly due to lack of interaction. But we are definitely intentionally excluded from civic life and nightlife. Sort of shoved of encouraged to stay in orur neighborhood or other older cities and towns around Boston where we make up a visible minority.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2017, 09:51 AM

2,014 posts, read 5,101,169 times
I've only lived in small to mid sized Southern cities (well, small by many others definitions) with very high percentages of blacks 40-60+ % black. When out of town, I mainly go to large midwestern and northeastern cities with traditionally large black population %. Many of these places are largely just black and white too

I'm starting to get very curious about how the "black experience" would be in cities like Seattle or Denver. You know, they dont necessarily have any where near the black % of the cities I'm used to, but they still seem to have enough of a black presence where I shouldnt feel isolated.

I'm a big fan of diversity. Not "code word for black" diversity, but actual diversity. I'm just wondering, if I were to go to Seattle and head out to some popular part of town with bars, restaurants and clubs....is it more likely that I'd be the only black guy in the spot or a mixed crowd that also includes enough blacks for me not to feel isolated.

Old 06-06-2017, 12:49 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,970,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Soul Bro View Post
I've only lived in small to mid sized Southern cities (well, small by many others definitions) with very high percentages of blacks 40-60+ % black. When out of town, I mainly go to large midwestern and northeastern cities with traditionally large black population %. Many of these places are largely just black and white too

I'm starting to get very curious about how the "black experience" would be in cities like Seattle or Denver. You know, they dont necessarily have any where near the black % of the cities I'm used to, but they still seem to have enough of a black presence where I shouldnt feel isolated.

I'm a big fan of diversity. Not "code word for black" diversity, but actual diversity. I'm just wondering, if I were to go to Seattle and head out to some popular part of town with bars, restaurants and clubs....is it more likely that I'd be the only black guy in the spot or a mixed crowd that also includes enough blacks for me not to feel isolated.
I've often wondered the same thing. Relocation isn't on my radar right now but I am really curious about the Black experience in Seattle San Francisco and Honolulu.

Old 06-06-2017, 02:24 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
I've often wondered the same thing. Relocation isn't on my radar right now but I am really curious about the Black experience in Seattle San Francisco and Honolulu.
I'd imagine that the Black experience in Honolulu revolves a lot around the military.

From people I know from the Bay Area or who live there, you get more of the Black experience in places like Oakland and Richmond as opposed to San Francisco proper, but even that's changing as Oakland continues to rapidly gentrify.

Old 06-07-2017, 07:01 AM

93,350 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:

In that case, perhaps a city like Sacramento would be another city to look into as well, given its demographics.

Old 06-07-2017, 07:43 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
In that case, perhaps a city like Sacramento would be another city to look into as well, given its demographics.
Or Jersey City.

Old 06-07-2017, 08:16 AM

657 posts, read 802,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
People in Boston are generally cold and untrusting. Most black people beingg from the south see it as racist.

I know black people in Boston who don't know what the neighborhood two miles away looks like because they don't know anyone out there and feel they have no reason to go out there, most times if you mention another neighborhood that's 2/3 neighborhoods away (4/5) miles) people look at you like your speaking a foreign language and claim the utmost ignorance or tell you how that neighborhood is trash because of 1 or 2 anecdotes. Then you come up here where no one ever comes? Naw. Just naw-you're about to like this Boston robyou can get out homie. I remember I had a coworker from Atlanta/Miami who had went to school in boston suburba then came into our workplace which is 80% minorities raised in inner city Boston. We were just talking like 6 of us about ways the city could improve and what it's lacking. He took it one step too far when he sheepishly said I feel like Boston is a terrible place for black people.

Me: nawww, you just from Atlanta
Female coworker: ooo
Female coworker 2: Ima need you to relax
Male coworker: well you ain't gotta be here homie ya feel me, like you can go home big fella."
Female coworker 3: right? Like we're gonna need you to fall back.

*Light laughter/nervous laughter throughout*

He quit the job 2 months later to work at a black cultural organization in Roxbury. He still frequents Atlanta.

Blacks from others northern cities minus New York are used o the cohesiveness of all. Lack Americans. Boston is super different and takes more time to get used to. The racism is there on an institute ion all level and pretty prevalent. However on a face to face level it's no worse than anywhere. I find racial tension in Boston never gets as high as some other larger cities, mostly due to lack of interaction. But we are definitely intentionally excluded from civic life and nightlife. Sort of shoved of encouraged to stay in orur neighborhood or other older cities and towns around Boston where we make up a visible minority.
Very interesting. Thanks for sharing.

Old 06-08-2017, 07:18 AM

93,350 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Or Jersey City.
True or Oakland.

Old 06-10-2017, 02:15 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,312,844 times
Quote:

I've been to Seattle and Denver and I was pretty much always the only black person. I remember counting the black people while driving around the Denver area and there would be times where I wouldn't see one for hours. Seattle was the same except I saw more African or Caribbean blacks diving Ubers or something an immigrant would likely do.
It is highly likely you would be the only black person depending on where you go and it's definitely not a welcoming feeling city to me. It's definitely not the worst place but being that it's so liberal I thought it would be accepting. There is a good bit of diversity though, which helps. I got a better feeling about Denver being black but there seemed to be much less diversity.

Old 06-11-2017, 11:12 PM

1,359 posts, read 2,481,475 times
Quote:

Black In Seattle | KUOW News and Information
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City