Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is most downtown-centric?
Seattle 28 25.69%
Portland 11 10.09%
San Jose 2 1.83%
San Francisco 51 46.79%
San Diego 4 3.67%
Houston 7 6.42%
Dallas 6 5.50%
Voters: 109. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2017, 05:23 AM

7,108 posts, read 8,963,320 times

Advertisements

I know downtown Chicago is the hub for shopping and employment but Chicago is also a fantastic neighborhood city as well. There is no other competing business center or shopping district outside of River North, Loop and Gold Coast within the city limits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2017, 12:14 PM

1,709 posts, read 2,166,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
I know downtown Chicago is the hub for shopping and employment but Chicago is also a fantastic neighborhood city as well. There is no other competing business center or shopping district outside of River North, Loop and Gold Coast within the city limits.

Right. If Chicago was in this poll it would win by a landslide. Chicago is the largest single-node metro by far (NYC has Downtown and Midtown Manhattan as its primary nodes). I don't think Chicago really has any secondary business districts of note, which is unusual for most American cities. I can't think of any other metro that has such a thoroughly dominant single business district, except maybe Philadlephia.

Old 06-05-2017, 01:15 PM

5,699 posts, read 4,922,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calisonn View Post
All dead spots, what you guys consider "bustling/active" is a joke, Kirkland? really?
Where did the op specify it had to be bustling/active, the op wanted to know which downtown had all the entertainment/food/shopping etc. and there are places outside of downtown Seattle where you can do that, even in Seattle proper, remember the op specified downtown not urban core, even pike place market (the main tourist attraction) isn't in "downtown/central business district"

Old 08-17-2018, 05:39 PM

3,335 posts, read 2,923,394 times
Lately; San Jose is most downtown centric since most of the happening nightlife and restaurants scene are in downtown. First place tourists go in SJ is downtown. It has most of the concerts/arts and entertainment.

Old 08-17-2018, 05:49 PM

14,019 posts, read 15,001,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OuttaTheLouBurbs View Post
Right. If Chicago was in this poll it would win by a landslide. Chicago is the largest single-node metro by far (NYC has Downtown and Midtown Manhattan as its primary nodes). I don't think Chicago really has any secondary business districts of note, which is unusual for most American cities. I can't think of any other metro that has such a thoroughly dominant single business district, except maybe Philadlephia.
Boston is pretty close, Technically Boston, Back Bay and Kendall sq are different they are pretty much contiguous with maybe a couple blocks of non CBD between them.

Old 08-17-2018, 07:04 PM

662 posts, read 1,281,285 times
Residents of San Francisco are not downtown-centric. Most people who live in SF don’t go there often, and it’s not integral to a lot of peoples lives. I have a feeling a lot of people voted SF because they just think all of SF is a downtown.

Old 08-17-2018, 07:45 PM

6,359 posts, read 8,826,410 times
This list is a bit confusing. Not all the cities on the list have a downtown. I mean, of course Seattle, Portland, San Francisco, San Diego, Dallas and Houston have downtowns, and in each case rather substanial ones. But no other city on the list even has a downtown.

Old 08-18-2018, 12:40 AM

923 posts, read 664,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtran103 View Post
Residents of San Francisco are not downtown-centric. Most people who live in SF don’t go there often, and it’s not integral to a lot of peoples lives. I have a feeling a lot of people voted SF because they just think all of SF is a downtown.

I agree completely.The Bay area is huge and most people dont actually center their lives around downtown San Francisco.

Old 08-18-2018, 12:46 AM

1,581 posts, read 2,823,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grega94 View Post
Where did the op specify it had to be bustling/active, the op wanted to know which downtown had all the entertainment/food/shopping etc. and there are places outside of downtown Seattle where you can do that, even in Seattle proper, remember the op specified downtown not urban core, even pike place market (the main tourist attraction) isn't in "downtown/central business district"
Lol it's in one of the oldest downtown neighborhoods.

Old 08-18-2018, 02:47 AM

3,335 posts, read 2,923,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grega94 View Post
Pike Market is in downtown/ CBD of Seattle
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City