Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: More famous for hip hop?
Atlanta 77 22.92%
New York City 231 68.75%
Equal 28 8.33%
Voters: 336. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2021, 06:58 AM

9,902 posts, read 6,602,126 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Kaszila is 26 I'm 27. Neither of us would say ATL is the winner simply because I actually care about history, influence, scale... Too many people in our generation have no sense of anything beyond themselves. Most people who really value hip hop as a culture and as a genre dont consider the music coming out of ATL to be hip hop (especially not older folks. Some people say its a whole different genre, I disagree with that but ATL's music right now just isn't very good. And it hasn't been for a long time. Most hip hop I listen to isn't from ATL. ATL is basically what the mainstream corporate media allow to be hip hop. At the moment I listen to Black Thought, Dave East, Dom Kennedy, some Boston artists, Moneybagg, Buddy...just very few people in ATL. The corporate machine down there churns out too much trash because anyone can be "on"

I said its a tie.
You’re not wrong (with most of what you’re saying) but that’s not what the title says. Title says who is more famous for being a hip hop city the answer is clearly Atlanta. City data is full of older city nerds so NYC will win every time. The hip hop subreddit is full of younger hip hop nerds which is why Atlanta won and will win every time there. The general public doesn’t value the history the way specific fans do. Even if you don’t consider trap music hip hop, most people do and they’ll take Atlanta.

Now if we get into who’s more influential that’s a different story but that’s not what we are talking about here. We are specifically talking about fame

Im younger than both of y’all since we are competing apparently and Atlanta is always seen as the king.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2021, 07:15 AM

21,637 posts, read 12,785,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
You’re not wrong (with most of what you’re saying) but that’s not what the title says. Title says who is more famous for being a hip hop city the answer is clearly Atlanta. City data is full of older city nerds so NYC will win every time. The hip hop subreddit is full of younger hip hop nerds which is why Atlanta won and will win every time there. The general public doesn’t value the history the way specific fans do. Even if you don’t consider trap music hip hop, most people do and they’ll take Atlanta.

Now if we get into who’s more influential that’s a different story but that’s not what we are talking about here. We are specifically talking about fame

Im younger than both of y’all since we are competing apparently and Atlanta is always seen as the king.
I said as much earlier-ATL without Hip Hop is basically seen as Charlotte. It's more central to its identity. This is because NYC has so much else its known for.

But across generations and the world over NYC is known as the mecca of Hip Hop as a whole. People know it started there and its biggest moguls/executives are from there. The elements of hip hop are from there and are based in the NYC urban culture. At the end of the day, ATL is running an NYC-based artform.

Also you're in the South where Atlanta's dominance might be less questioned than someone from NYC or closer to it. Just a thought..

Old 08-01-2021, 07:47 AM

Quote:
I said as much earlier-ATL without Hip Hop is basically seen as Charlotte. It's more central to its identity. This is because NYC has so much else its known for.

But across generations and the world over NYC is known as the mecca of Hip Hop as a whole. People know it started there and its biggest moguls/executives are from there. The elements of hip hop are from there and are based in the NYC urban culture. At the end of the day, ATL is running an NYC-based artform.

Also you're in the South where Atlanta's dominance might be less questioned than someone from NYC or closer to it. Just a thought..
Your proximity to NYC id say is more of the reason here. Also the thread. Again, I’m not surprised by the results of this poll but I’m also not surprised by the results of the poll on Reddit where Atlanta won by a landslide. The change of demographics (not just age) was the key difference. The Reddit demographic is far more mainstream than the city data demographic. Considering mainstream threads are annoying, that’s why we love it here. And the general public (aside from those like yourself with proximity to NYC) generally see Atlanta as the most famous hip hop city.

We are changing topics here but how well. Of course NYC is the birth of hip hop but the birth of hip hop took form from other art forms itself. Jamaica is extremely influential in the making of hip hop. Still, Atlanta is using what was created in NYC, but we must remember hip hop has roots in other fields as well especially Jamaican music at the time.

Old 08-01-2021, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Jamaica is extremely influential in the making of hip hop. Still, Atlanta is using what was created in NYC, but we must remember hip hop has roots in other fields as well especially Jamaican music at the time.
Don't let the ADOS/FBA warriors see this. lol. I found out the hard way some folks hate this claim.

Old 08-01-2021, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Don't let the ADOS/FBA warriors see this. lol. I found out the hard way some folks hate this claim.
Founder of hip hop himself DJ Kool Herc “we are the ones who brought the styles and technique to America”. His quotes directly. Whoever gets offended by the truth should be advised not to visit his museum in Jamaica either that lay out the connection.

Old 08-01-2021, 09:41 AM

1,351 posts, read 884,069 times
Quote:

Sorry but I don't consider what comes out of ATL to be hip hop. It's like how rnb is a sungenre of soul but is still considered to be two distinct genres of music.

Old 08-01-2021, 01:45 PM

912 posts, read 1,085,941 times
Quote:
Your proximity to NYC id say is more of the reason here. Also the thread. Again, I’m not surprised by the results of this poll but I’m also not surprised by the results of the poll on Reddit where Atlanta won by a landslide. The change of demographics (not just age) was the key difference. The Reddit demographic is far more mainstream than the city data demographic. Considering mainstream threads are annoying, that’s why we love it here. And the general public (aside from those like yourself with proximity to NYC) generally see Atlanta as the most famous hip hop city.

We are changing topics here but how well. Of course NYC is the birth of hip hop but the birth of hip hop took form from other art forms itself. Jamaica is extremely influential in the making of hip hop. Still, Atlanta is using what was created in NYC, but we must remember hip hop has roots in other fields as well especially Jamaican music at the time.
Atlanta is impressive that it's a mid-size city with as much hip hop credibility that it has, but its brand power diminishes the moment it leaves American soil -- that's the hard truth. Atlanta is very domestic, which is the point of the thread; which city has more fame and recognition for its hip hop contributions that are associated with the city itself.

Unfortunately, Atlanta didn't do too great of a job exporting its culture to overseas markets in a way that'll captivate them. They're perceived as "American mumble rappers" and nothing more. Whereas NYC's entire fabric is tied to its hip-hop sound, you can't think of NYC hip hop and not imagine its urban landscape, its history, its legacy, its lifestyle. Question it for a sec. What do you think foreigners think of when they hear Atlanta rap? Do you think they imagine the city of Atlanta, or even care? Would they even know what Atlanta is? In my experience, not too many are familiar, if any. Maybe a random strip club.

Also, I'm 25 myself, who has lived in the North and South, as well as overseas in Japan. It's not about age, just knowledge.

Old 08-01-2021, 01:50 PM

2,236 posts, read 1,122,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaszilla View Post
Sorry but I don't consider what comes out of ATL to be hip hop. It's like how rnb is a sungenre of soul but is still considered to be two distinct genres of music.
It's 'trap", and it's mainstream; NY adopted the style too. that or drill is big in NYC as of 2021! You'll still get some jazz-rap or boom-bap from NYC, not so much ATL

Old 08-01-2021, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurphyKing54 View Post
Atlanta is impressive that it's a mid-size city with as much hip hop credibility that it has, but its brand power diminishes the moment it leaves American soil -- that's the hard truth. Atlanta is very domestic, which is the point of the thread; which city has more fame and recognition for its hip hop contributions that are associated with the city itself.

Unfortunately, Atlanta didn't do too great of a job exporting its culture to overseas markets in a way that'll captivate them. They're perceived as "American mumble rappers" and nothing more. Whereas NYC's entire fabric is tied to its hip-hop sound, you can't think of NYC hip hop and not imagine its urban landscape, its history, its legacy, its lifestyle. Question it for a sec. What do you think foreigners think of when they hear Atlanta rap? Do you think they imagine the city of Atlanta, or even care? Would they even know what Atlanta is? In my experience, not too many are familiar, if any. Maybe a random strip club.

Also, I'm 25 myself, who has lived in the North and South, as well as overseas in Japan. It's not about age, just knowledge.
This was my experience in South Africa. I was there for 6 months and it was all NY rapper “s J Cole and Kendrick.

Atlanta makes a lot of mindless rap that feels good but that doesn’t put you in a place and that’s part of the appeal/its highly accessible and transferable to many Americans. Globally people already have their own popular music and prefer more lyrical and oftentimes underground rap. It’s thought provoking, gives a sense of place, and it’s a lot easier to decipher/understand in terms of the English language.

Old 08-05-2021, 09:15 AM

4,209 posts, read 4,747,200 times
Quote:
Kaszila is 26 I'm 27. Neither of us would say ATL is the winner simply because I actually care about history, influence, scale... Too many people in our generation have no sense of anything beyond themselves. Most people who really value hip hop as a culture and as a genre dont consider the music coming out of ATL to be hip hop (especially not older folks. Some people say its a whole different genre, I disagree with that but ATL's music right now just isn't very good. And it hasn't been for a long time. Most hip hop I listen to isn't from ATL. ATL is basically what the mainstream corporate media allow to be hip hop. At the moment I listen to Black Thought, Dave East, Dom Kennedy, some Boston artists, Moneybagg, Buddy...just very few people in ATL. The corporate machine down there churns out too much trash because anyone can be "on"

I said its a tie.
JID, Kenny Mason, Killer Mike, 6LACK, 21 Savage, Earthgang, Childish Gambino. All from Atlanta. All lyrical. If you don't like the style or sound just say that but it's not trash just because it's an evolution compared to 90s rap. NY has also had a ton of trash artists too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City