Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: More famous for hip hop?
Atlanta 77 22.92%
New York City 231 68.75%
Equal 28 8.33%
Voters: 336. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2017, 06:53 PM

1,885 posts, read 3,401,567 times

Advertisements

I don't necessarily think of a specific melody with regard to NYC, but there's a certain beat that to me is quintessentially NYC. The one on Young M.A.'s 'Ooouuu' and Bobby Shmurda's 'Hot *****'; they're basically the same.

Maybe it's just me, but I've always associated it with New York.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2017, 07:19 PM

I don't necessarily think of a specific melody, but there's a certain beat that to me is quintessentially NYC. The one on Young M.A.'s 'Ooouuu' and Bobby Shmurda's 'Hot *****'; they're basically the same.

Old 06-21-2017, 07:50 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,963,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aficionado View Post
I don't necessarily think of a specific melody, but there's a certain beat that to me is quintessentially NYC. The one on Young M.A.'s 'Ooouuu' and Bobby Shmurda's 'Hot *****'; they're basically the same.

Yea, I agree, NYC still has its own sound.

Old 06-21-2017, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
Outside of that, NYC's newer material seems pretty noncohesive. Like throwing darts at a wall waiting to see if one sticks... which isn't necessarily a bad thing. I'm admittedly biased though... southern hip-hop just gets me hype in a way that other styles just don't really seem to anymore.

Old 06-21-2017, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Outside of that, NYC's newer material seems somewhat noncohesive. Like throwing darts at a wall waiting to see if one sticks... which isn't necessarily a bad thing. I'm admittedly biased though... southern hip-hop just gets me hype in a way that other styles just don't really seem to anymore.

Old 06-21-2017, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aficionado View Post
Outside of that, NYC's newer material seems pretty noncohesive. Like throwing darts at a wall waiting to see if one sticks... which isn't necessarily a bad thing. I'm admittedly biased though... southern hip-hop just gets me hype in a way that other styles just don't really seem to anymore.
Southern rap has music for every mood you're in. I need southern rap now when I'm working out or playing basketball. It makes you wanna wash your car and go get jazzy and go to the club. NYC rap can't do that anymore. It used to back in the late 90s, but that was nearly 2 decades ago. You hear NYC of today, and it just sounds outdated. Southern rap inspires you in ways that NYC can't.

Old 06-21-2017, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Southern rap has music for every mood you're in. I need southern rap now when I'm working out or playing basketball. It makes you wanna wash your car and go get jazzy and go to the club. NYC rap can't do that anymore. It used to back in the late 90s, but that was nearly 2 decades ago. You hear NYC of today, and it just sounds outdated. Southern rap inspires you in ways that NYC can't.
I don't disagree, but I'm sure many others do! LOL

Old 06-21-2017, 11:05 PM

675 posts, read 1,256,280 times
NYC had a 30 year run of dominance (and shared dominance starting from the early 90's) from the inception of Hip Hop in the BX in the mid 70's up until the mid 2000's. Its still produces artists that impact the game (Nicki Minaj, Young MA, Remy Ma, Joey Badass, A Boogie, French, etc...) but no longer holds a dominant position as far as geographic wise, that would be Atlanta no question. BUT as far as worldwide association its definitely NYC with LA coming in 2nd place. I also think in this age of the Internet where the artists comes doesn't necessary dictate the type of music they do as much as the Pre-Internet age since everybody hears everything at the same time.

Old 06-22-2017, 07:32 AM

32,097 posts, read 34,702,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Brown View Post
BUT as far as worldwide association its definitely NYC with LA coming in 2nd place. I also think in this age of the Internet where the artists comes doesn't necessary dictate the type of music they do as much as the Pre-Internet age since everybody hears everything at the same time.
Interesting point. I wonder if L.A. is in fact more popular for hip hop worldwide than Atlanta considering that there was a much stronger association between the music and the geography back in the day. There is no "Atlanta" sound per se but rather a more general Southern sound among rappers who hail from that region of the country.

Old 06-22-2017, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Interesting point. I wonder if L.A. is in fact more popular for hip hop worldwide than Atlanta considering that there was a much stronger association between the music and the geography back in the day. There is no "Atlanta" sound per se but rather a more general Southern sound among rappers who hail from that region of the country.
The general southern sound is the Atlanta sound. Other cities have there own sounds as well, particularly, Miami, Houston, New Orleans, Memphis. Heck, the general hip-hop sound is the Atlanta sound. It's really hard to tell nowadays because everybody is using that sound.

There really isn't a city anywhere who doesn't have their own sound.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City